Mercedes A-Class Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, my A200 w177 driver side screen went black. I tried to restart the car but still nothing happen. The second (infotainment) screen works fine.

It was quiet dangerous and I manage to bring it home safely. Any idea what went wrong?

Ed

·
Registered
329 Posts
Unless you can reset it, I would get it looked at by a dealer ASAP. Driving without a working speedometer is illegal, unless you’ve taken steps to get it looked at (or it happens while you’re driving) Let us know if you do manage to reset and how you’ve done it??

·
Registered
770 Posts
That's worrying. Is there no backup that you can show the speed on the entertainment screen.

I wouldn't bother trying to figure it out, I would phone the dealer, get them to pick up the car and loan you one whilst they sort it out. It is not a cheap car and if there is a problem then it needs to be addressed. It could be a software fault which fixes with a hard reset, but it could also be a problem with that screen and the screen might need to be replaced. Remember the car comes with a warranty that will cover problems like this.

At least let the dealership know so there is a record of it in case it happens again.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just an update for the screen, I turn the car off and turn it back on after an hour or so, the screen is working fine now.

I do agree that mercedes should add a backup speedometer on the infotainment screen just in case the driver-side screen fail.

·
Registered
329 Posts
That's worrying. Is there no backup that you can show the speed on the entertainment screen.

I wouldn't bother trying to figure it out, I would phone the dealer, get them to pick up the car and loan you one whilst they sort it out. It is not a cheap car and if there is a problem then it needs to be addressed. It could be a software fault which fixes with a hard reset, but it could also be a problem with that screen and the screen might need to be replaced. Remember the car comes with a warranty that will cover problems like this.

At least let the dealership know so there is a record of it in case it happens again.
Or try the breakdown assistance by pressing the Mercedes Me button in the overhead control panel. I am curious to hear how that works!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Just an update for the screen, I turn the car off and turn it back on after an hour or so, the screen is working fine now.

I do agree that mercedes should add a backup speedometer on the infotainment screen just in case the driver-side screen fail.
On my VW it takes approx half an hour for a complete system shutdown after locking the car. I assume it's so you can make a quick stop and not loose your nav directions etc

The head unit does have a three finger salute maybe Merc has a similar thing e.g. press heater control switch whilst turn on ignition etc or similar combo to restart the infotainment

·
Registered
101 Posts
My infotainment screen randomly messes up and goes black within minutes of starting the car, shutting down engine and opening car door and closing it and starting again makes it work again. Its happening quite frequently, luckily no issues whilst driving. Anyone else have similar issue?

·
Registered
29 Posts
My infotainment screen randomly messes up and goes black within minutes of starting the car, shutting down engine and opening car door and closing it and starting again makes it work again. Its happening quite frequently, luckily no issues whilst driving. Anyone else have similar issue?
Hello Flow, I have exactly the same issue. I just got my A200 two weeks ago and since the first week I noticed this issue. Did you already contacted the dealer or did you find any solution?
Also I noticed you can start driving or wait for a minute or so and the screen reboots itself.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Hello Flow, I have exactly the same issue. I just got my A200 two weeks ago and since the first week I noticed this issue. Did you already contacted the dealer or did you find any solution?
Also I noticed you can start driving or wait for a minute or so and the screen reboots itself.
I'm having my car in for a air con issue I have on Friday so they will take a look then, will let you know if they find anything. I don't have much hope of them debugging to be honest, whole system and stuff is too new

·
Registered
361 Posts
As with anything, an intermittent fault can be difficult to trace. The encouraging thing is that if it is simply a firmware issue, they should be able to correct it with a system update, as with any software problem. And we all know how reliable Windows updates are.....

I've worked in Systems long enough to know that it's good advice never to download an update immediately after release, in case they screw it up.
I'm just hoping that the updates they release are not automated. Provided they are not, I'll certainly give it a few days before allowing any update.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Can you control when your car updates? The OTA updates may be automatically implemented no?

·
Registered
361 Posts
I would expect an option to modify the settings. Would you want a download to start while bombing up the motorway? Hopefully there will be options to configure updates in the settings, or at least the system will prompt when an update is available and allow you to delay it.

·
Registered
730 Posts
I would imagine it’ll learn your using habit and update it during periods of inactivity, probably during the night

·
Registered
29 Posts
Just as an update, tomorrow I will take my car to the dealership too. The only thing is that this last couple of days I didn't have the issue anymore. The only thing I tried some days ago was before starting up the car click on the "start system" button (on the infotainment screen)and after turn on the car. I did this the first two times and I didn't have the issue. Now I'm trying to see if the error appears again without starting the system before but now everything is working fine. I don't know what I'm gonna say now to the dealership, besides I also think they won't be able to find anything.
I noticed I have the automatic updates turned on, but I don't think any update was released this week.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi
My new A200 is now 11 days old and I have clocked up 650 miles and yes the drivers side screen stopped working I tried switching off the engine getting out and locking the vehicle and then getting back in and starting the vehicle many, many times but the screen just would not come on, this being very dangerous to drive as you cannot visually confirm which gear your in , if the indicators are working , what speed you are doing etc, so I phoned the dealership where I purchased it from and arranged to take it to them so they could sort this problem out. On setting off to the dealership low and behold the screen came back to life. I took the vehicle to the dealership with the working screen and they gave me a choice either leave my car with them or take it away and to give them a call if the fault arrises again, so I have brought the car home again and will see how it goes.
Any ideas what may be causing this problem. Its concerning that others have had the same problem and not just my screen being faulty.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts