Mercedes A-Class Forum banner

41 - 60 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
If it starts to work after some time (which seems to be the common theme here), to me it sounds like the graphics chip of the screen is overheating. This is a common self-preservation method for an overheating chip, where it will just shut down for some time to cool down, and it will work again once it cooled enough.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have just had this exact issue this evening, the driver screen is black whilst the second screen is working. Tried turning the car off, locked it and returned back in but nothing. Screen stays black.

Also, tried to reset the system via the menu, this has not resolved the issue. It's rather dangerous as you can't tell what speed you are going or the gear you are in. Luckily I have the heads up display but even. I had to get out of the car to see if the indicators were working and I have no idea how much petrol I have left!

I have only had the car 2 weeks, it's parked under a roofed car park and it was not even hot today so surely heat is not an issue?

Could it be a software fault? I would have thought cars built recently would not have the same software issue and these would have been updated already? I am going to give my local dealership a call tomorrow and see if they can take a look.

EDIT! - Just went back to test the car and the screen is now working. How strange. Do you think I need to go to the dealership or let it go and see if it happens again. Overheating of the chip could be a problem although the car was parked up for 8 hours and was kept in cool temperature.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I'm just wildly guessing, but it doesn't sound like a software issue to me. It could be heat, it could also be just crap soldering. However, the heat might not necessarily come from the outside. It could come from inadequate cooling on the graphics chip, since the MBUX is using a reasonably powerful Nvidia Tegra chip which would generate some heat.

Some time ago there was an issue with some laptop. Due to inadequate cooling and crap soldering, the circuit board actually warped under heat and the chip would get disconnected, shutting down the laptop. Let it cool for a while, and the chip would get reconnected to the board. I'm really hoping this is not the case.

Whatever the issue is, dual screen MBUX will be standard across all Mercedes range, so technically we're beta testing their software and build methods. Such is the price to pay for the glorious screens :)

One question, do you have the 7" or the 10" screen?

·
Registered
61 Posts
I'm just wildly guessing, but it doesn't sound like a software issue to me. It could be heat, it could also be just crap soldering. However, the heat might not necessarily come from the outside. It could come from inadequate cooling on the graphics chip, since the MBUX is using a reasonably powerful Nvidia Tegra chip which would generate some heat.

Some time ago there was an issue with some laptop. Due to inadequate cooling and crap soldering, the circuit board actually warped under heat and the chip would get disconnected, shutting down the laptop. Let it cool for a while, and the chip would get reconnected to the board. I'm really hoping this is not the case.

Whatever the issue is, dual screen MBUX will be standard across all Mercedes range, so technically we're beta testing their software and build methods. Such is the price to pay for the glorious screens :)

One question, do you have the 7" or the 10" screen?
Appreciate your thoughts and yes you just never know it could be this issue as electronics can encounter issues at any time. I have the 2 10" screens on mine

It's not something I would expect to happen nonetheless

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Guys, I have the same problem with my A200 sedan, which was delivered only on 28 June 19.

The car has been sent back to the workshop a few times (with the longest stay in the workshop for one and a half weeks). Each time, a software update only was done.

We complained that it would be a hardware problem particular to this car, rather than a software issue which would have impacts across the board. Our complaint was not heeded.

Last night, the problem recurred, while the car had only been out of the workshop for 2 days for the very same issue.

For my friends who share this issue, how did it get solved? Was any hardware replacement done?? Thanks a mil.

Rohokopo

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have just had this exact issue this evening, the driver screen is black whilst the second screen is working. Tried turning the car off, locked it and returned back in but nothing. Screen stays black.

Also, tried to reset the system via the menu, this has not resolved the issue. It's rather dangerous as you can't tell what speed you are going or the gear you are in. Luckily I have the heads up display but even. I had to get out of the car to see if the indicators were working and I have no idea how much petrol I have left!

I have only had the car 2 weeks, it's parked under a roofed car park and it was not even hot today so surely heat is not an issue?

Could it be a software fault? I would have thought cars built recently would not have the same software issue and these would have been updated already? I am going to give my local dealership a call tomorrow and see if they can take a look.

EDIT! - Just went back to test the car and the screen is now working. How strange. Do you think I need to go to the dealership or let it go and see if it happens again. Overheating of the chip could be a problem although the car was parked up for 8 hours and was kept in cool temperature.
I have had the same problem with my a class 180 amg ,the dealer has had it in for a total of 9 weeks sinceMay and I have just had to take it back last week for the same fault.The last time they changed the whole screen and updated the software,still no good .I have just notified the dealer that I have rejected the car and I want a replacement new car or my cash back.We are waiting to hear back from Mercedes

·
Registered
2 Posts

I have the same fault with my A200 - only had car 3 months.
Currently car in local dealer for 11 days and they cannot tell me when they will have a permanent software upgrade available!
This is becoming a major A class problem that might end up as a car recall issue as a safety issue

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the same fault with my A200 - only had car 3 months.
Currently car in local dealer for 11 days and they cannot tell me when they will have a permanent software upgrade available!
This is becoming a major A class problem that might end up as a car recall issue as a safety issue
Update: Just got my car back after 21 days at dealers.
It has had a new control unit, data cable and software upgrades.
Fingers crossed the problem has been sorted

·
Registered
7 Posts
My car is doing the same thing.

I start up, about 30 seconds later the middle screen will freeze, after about 2 mins of driving it will reboot itself and work.
I have only had the drivers screen go black once..

A bit frustrating really, after reading above i may just put up with it as it does not sound like they know a solution..

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had the issue of the screen going black. Then the doors failed to lock and unlock, the seatbelt malfunction notice came on. It's been back to the dealership four times. After 8 weeks at the dealership Mercedes rejected the car and I now have a new 69 plate. The whole thing has been a nightmare as the dealership have been less than helpful, it wasn't until I said I was stopping my payments and returning the key and paperwork that they took this seriously and looked into replacing the car. Fingers crossed my new car is bug free!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Just to add to this I had the issue a few weeks ago where I went to start the car and the 10" main instrument panel screen would not come on. I phoned the dealer who said they had never heard of this happening so to phone the MB callout line. I then went back to the car, switched it on again and it worked. Not happened again since...

Then, the other day I stopped at some traffic lights and the camera displayed in the entertainment display. Then I set off and the screen stayed on the front camera display. Eventually I stopped it by pressing the media button, but then a few moments later the screen kept intermittently flashing between media and front camera! After a few minutes it finally stopped. Again, not happened since...

·
Registered
49 Posts
Had this issue on an 8 week old CLA 220. Dealer has ordered a new screen from Germany as updates, reboot etc don't cure the fault. Mercedes are being very coy about this, think its a case of using customers as a test bed. VW won't release the MK8 Golf because the have screen issues as well. To be fair to the dealer, Lookers Brighton, they have been most accommodating and we have a C220 coupe until ours is fixed. Hardly the point but better than a Smart 44

·
Registered
49 Posts
Ok, for anyone following this, the CLA is back from Lookers Brighton. New drivers screen has been fitted, hopefully this cures this black screen of death issue. If I dont post on this again it's cured !!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I got my 180D sport in March 2019, brand new. The centre screen was faulty on delivery and had to be changed (I should’ve rejected it then).
Since March the car has been in 6 times for service. Usually they tried to patch the car up with software updates. In September they put a new part in the screen and that seemed to stop it. Unfortunately in December the driver screen has started failing. The screen was completely black and would not restart - it was around 5 degrees C outside and hadn't been driven for over two hours - so not overheated.
I took it in again where they did another update, since then the screen has faulted another two times - freezing and speedometer missing.
I have asked Mercedes for a new vehicle. Although the customer service has been shocking from day one, so I don’t hold out much hope.

Points to note:
It’s illegal to drive without your speedometer - if centre screen works the speed is apparently displayed when on navigation
Mercedes staff have told me they have seen this error a number of times - head of service said this was ‘teething problems’.
Software updates DO NOT fix it. My car has had 5 of them - never worked.

The motor ombudsman is looking into my case.
Buying this car is the worst decision I have ever made

·
Registered
49 Posts
Odd how different dealers respond. Had this issue on a new CLA220, couple of updates to no effect so the dealer ordered and fitted a new screen without question or pressure from me. Been fine ever since. Your speed is not displayed on the nav screen, just the speed limit for that road. MB UK contacted me soon after to discuss my experiance, listened to what I had to say then sent £150 in John Lewis vouchers. Dealer is Lookers Brighton.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yeah I was told by the service manager that the speed displays on the sat nav screen, never actually looked if it does though.
Mines a Stratstone Mercedes dealership, even old staff members said working for a stratstone one is horrendous

·
Registered
121 Posts
So last night my wife took our A35 to the shop and the speedometer screen did this. Is this what other people are experiencing? She could not tell what speed she was going but apart from that the car behaved completely normally and by the time she had done the Morrisons shop and restarted the car everything was back to normal. It lasted the whole journey from when she left the house to the supermarket. This is with the Premium Plus screens.

Attachments

41 - 60 of 84 Posts