Mercedes A-Class Forum banner
101 - 120 of 140 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
The same has been happening with my A250 AMG-Line (68 plate W177) from day 1. Despite software update after software update and two replacement control units, the issue hasn’t been resolved. Back to the dealer three times in December 2020 with yet another replacement control unit installed on New Years Eve- failed again tonight! I resolve by switching off the engine, exiting and dead locking the car, leaving it for five minutes and then unlock the car again- Hey Presto it works but only until the next time the instrument cluster fails again!
Same with me. I only have to wait 30 secs - 1 min after dead locking for it to come back though.

So you’ve had a new control unit.. have you had the screen replaced yet? That’s going to be my next suggestion to them. I’m hoping that sorts it for good.

·
Registered
W177 2019 A250 AMG-Line Premium Plus
11 Posts
Same with me. I only have to wait 30 secs - 1 min after dead locking for it to come back though.

So you’ve had a new control unit.. have you had the screen replaced yet? That’s going to be my next suggestion to them. I’m hoping that sorts it for good.
No screen replacement yet. Dealership said that was their plan most recently but stated MB had over-ruled with the requirement for yet another software update and an updated control unit install

·
Registered
11 Posts
No screen replacement yet. Dealership said that was their plan most recently but stated MB had over-ruled with the requirement for yet another software update and an updated control unit install
Fed up to the back teeth of this nonsense though. So much of my time wasted. Going to revisit rights under consumer protection legislation-after all, I’ve allowed four attempts at repair without success and from the posts of others it seems to me that there is an inherent fault with the goods

·
Registered
2 Posts
Fed up to the back teeth of this nonsense though. So much of my time wasted. Going to revisit rights under consumer protection legislation-after all, I’ve allowed four attempts at repair without success and from the posts of others it seems to me that there is an inherent fault with the goods
Did you get anywhere with this? my wife's A220 Premium (69 plate) has been doing this on and off since she bought it in may last year (dealer ex demo). After a noticing an increase in these driver display failures events over the last month (and it occurring just before a couple of significant trips resulting in taking my car instead) it went into Merc couple of weeks ago. They seemed to acknowledge it was a known fault and as a result change the wiring loom and control unit after keeping the car for 4 days. Comes back, been fine for a week, got out to nip into the shop yesterday (left wife in the car with the keys) come back and it had gone again. Called for recovery and starting playing around with locking/unlocking the car whilst waiting for them to arrive. After a couple of lock/unlock cycles the screen came back to life. Not sure whether I got lucky with that but the recovery got cancelled when said it started working again.

It's going back in tomorrow for another set of investigations. What's the best expected outcome here as at the minute the wife feels she can't trust the car and from reading the forum there doesn't seem to be a concrete resolution

·
Registered
11 Posts
Booked in with my MB dealer again on 15 February. The dealer is providing me with a loan MB for the duration of the investigation and subsequent testing. Have advised that I will exercise my rights under the Consumer Rights Act 2015 and will return the vehicle if this next investigation does not resolve the problem as this will be the fifth time that the car has been returned. I purchased my vehicle through MB Finance so they hold title of the car. If this final opportunity does not succeed I intend to inform MB Finance that I will exercise my rights under the aforementioned Act as it seems clear to me, and many others, that there is an inherent fault with the vehicle’s equipment. Will let everyone know how things proceed.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Booked in with my MB dealer again on 15 February. The dealer is providing me with a loan MB for the duration of the investigation and subsequent testing. Have advised that I will exercise my rights under the Consumer Rights Act 2015 and will return the vehicle if this next investigation does not resolve the problem as this will be the fifth time that the car has been returned. I purchased my vehicle through MB Finance so they hold title of the car. If this final opportunity does not succeed I intend to inform MB Finance that I will exercise my rights under the aforementioned Act as it seems clear to me, and many others, that there is an inherent fault with the vehicle’s equipment. Will let everyone know how things proceed.
Just for my own interest how does returning the car works when you are on a finance package. If you buy a car outright and return it in this way the dealer, if they are willing to take it back :rolleyes:, will offer you a value based on the use your have had of the (faulty) car but whatever this value is you will, as I found out, be out of pocket. If it is a PCP or lease do you know if you can you just walk away with what you paid in monthly payments or do they take some of your initial lump sum payment as well and if so how is this calculated?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just for my own interest how does returning the car works when you are on a finance package. If you buy a car outright and return it in this way the dealer, if they are willing to take it back :rolleyes:, will offer you a value based on the use your have had of the (faulty) car but whatever this value is you will, as I found out, be out of pocket. If it is a PCP or lease do you know if you can you just walk away with what you paid in monthly payments or do they take some of your initial lump sum payment as well and if so how is this calculated?

Have a PCP with MB Finance. As such MB Finance retains title of car until final instalment paid when I would assume title (or handover car if unwilling to pay final purchase fee at end of term). I need to prove inherent fault with vehicle, although the dealer has s acknowledged their experience of several digital instrument cluster failures such as the one I’m consistently encountering so my expectation if I hand back the car having demonstrated inherent fault will be for the finance agreement to be ended and deposit returned. That’s my understanding of my rights but will take formal advice if the next attempt at resolution fails and MB Finance dismiss complaint as I will then submit complaint to the Financial Ombudsman. I actually hope that the next attempted repair resolves the issue as I actually love the car!

·
Registered
11 Posts
PCP in place with MB Finance. As such MB Finance currently retain title of car. Formal process to go through under Consumer Rights Act 2015 but onus on me to prove inherent fault. If next attempt at resolving digital instrument cluster fails will instigate formal process to return car with the expectation that the agreement is terminated and deposit returned. Likely to be a drawn out process and really hope next attempt at repair succeeds as I love the car. My A250 AMG-Line with Premium Plus is the first premium car I’ve ever had and with a OTR price approaching £36k it’s really dissppointing that MB haven’t yet been able to resolve to my satisfaction. If the next attempt at repair fails and MB Finance reject my subsequent complaint, I have recourse to Financial Ombudsman although I intend to obtain formal legal advice if necessary. Hoping it doesn’t come to this though

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
PCP in place with MB Finance. As such MB Finance currently retain title of car. Formal process to go through under Consumer Rights Act 2015 but onus on me to prove inherent fault. If next attempt at resolving digital instrument cluster fails will instigate formal process to return car with the expectation that the agreement is terminated and deposit returned. Likely to be a drawn out process and really hope next attempt at repair succeeds as I love the car. My A250 AMG-Line with Premium Plus is the first premium car I’ve ever had and with a OTR price approaching £36k it’s really dissppointing that MB haven’t yet been able to resolve to my satisfaction. If the next attempt at repair fails and MB Finance reject my subsequent complaint, I have recourse to Financial Ombudsman although I intend to obtain formal legal advice if necessary. Hoping it doesn’t come to this though
Thanks for that, it's interesting to know how this works for PCP.

I certainly hope you get it sorted but in my experience of MB dealers if it's an electronic issue they have very little capability to sort them out beyond resetting modules and updating s/w. This is not their fault as far as I can see because if there is no technical bulletin they seem to have no guidance and for some reason MB technical seem reluctant to get involved and when they do tend to just ask for more information rather than engaging to try and fix the fault.

As for rejecting the car it might be worth speaking to MB finance before the car goes in again, if they are on side and assuming they are actually part of MB which they might not be 🙄, they might be able to support the dealer in getting tech support.

Best of luck & pls let us know how you get on

·
Registered
131 Posts
There is a known fault with the hard-disk drive on MBUX. The drive where the OS is stored may develop bad sectors, so the whole system starts behaving erratically. Mercedes does not allow any bad sectors, the drive needs to be replaced if some are registered. Normally a HDD is self-monitoring so will try to reallocate bad sectors and mark the bad ones so they are not used again. If it is succesful in doing so it may appear to have fixed itself, at least in the short term.

Another thing to note is that it appears from the document that the Xentry (MB's diagnostic) does not register this as an error. You need to access the "actual values" screen to check if the HDD is misbehaving. So I suggest to anyone being told there's no errors, to ask the dealer to print you this screen with the reallocated sectors to make sure it is not the HDD.

PDF Here

·
Registered
2 Posts
So just to provide an update on what happened with the wife's A220. It went back in again few weeks ago now and had the entire dash screen replaced. Since this has happened it has been OK and the service rep at Mercedes did say he'd not seen any having the same problem after the screens were replaced so that looks to be the resolution. Can only assume there was a faulty batch of screens going around which resulted in these issues popping up.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hallo guys
Recently I bought my new Mercedes a class 160 with the 7.0 inches displays and from second day the driver’s display becomes black when I am driving for 15-20 seconds and after comes back
This happen only on afternoons and 1-2 times
At night it’s working perfectly
When i communicated with the service they did an update about 4 hours and the problem doesn’t solved
Could be the temperature the main problem?

·
Registered
11 Posts
So just to provide an update on what happened with the wife's A220. It went back in again few weeks ago now and had the entire dash screen replaced. Since this has happened it has been OK and the service rep at Mercedes did say he'd not seen any having the same problem after the screens were replaced so that looks to be the resolution. Can only assume there was a faulty batch of screens going around which resulted in these issues popping up.
Finall had the entire MBUX twin 10.5 inch screen digital display replaced by LSH Auto in Stockport - problem finally resolved but it’s taken the best part of two years to get there!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just a quick update for you all concerning the ongoing saga of the drivers side blank screen, well its been 2 years 7 months and 17 days and my A200 has been to Mercedes dealership on many occasions with the same fault and as I'm posting this update YES my car is in again with the exact same fault. My car went in on the 5th May 2021 and in the late afternoon the service manager phoned me to ask if one of his technicians could take it home so he could monitor the fault, well I said NO politely but I was actually fuming at this request, you do not need to drive the car to establish if the screen is not working, just unlock the door get in the vehicle and if your lucky / unlucky enough you will be looking at a blank screen.
The service manager explained to me that they are only allowed to replace components (ie the screen) only with the authorisation from Mercedes. Well after all this time you can understand I AM NOT HAPPY with Mercedes this is not an uncommon fault and after all this time you would think Mercedes would have some sort of a clue as to what is wrong with this problem and not just updating the software which does not seem to work for the long term. I don't know when I will get the call to collect my car with the so called software update that will cure this problem and the anticipation thereafter of when I get into my vehicle I will be looking at a blank screen again.

·
Registered
198 Posts
In my opinion the remedy is replacing the screens and not updating the software. By replacing them, they will also have 2 years warranty, in case something happens.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just a quick update for you all concerning the ongoing saga of the drivers side blank screen, well its been 2 years 7 months and 17 days and my A200 has been to Mercedes dealership on many occasions with the same fault and as I'm posting this update YES my car is in again with the exact same fault. My car went in on the 5th May 2021 and in the late afternoon the service manager phoned me to ask if one of his technicians could take it home so he could monitor the fault, well I said NO politely but I was actually fuming at this request, you do not need to drive the car to establish if the screen is not working, just unlock the door get in the vehicle and if your lucky / unlucky enough you will be looking at a blank screen.
The service manager explained to me that they are only allowed to replace components (ie the screen) only with the authorisation from Mercedes. Well after all this time you can understand I AM NOT HAPPY with Mercedes this is not an uncommon fault and after all this time you would think Mercedes would have some sort of a clue as to what is wrong with this problem and not just updating the software which does not seem to work for the long term. I don't know when I will get the call to collect my car with the so called software update that will cure this problem and the anticipation thereafter of when I get into my vehicle I will be looking at a blank screen again.
You’re not alone- I’m still having the issue with my 2019 model.

I don’t blame you for declining the offer of a technician taking your car home to test. I certainly wouldn’t allow that either!

I’ve given up on trying to get it sorted as I’m sick of having to give the car up for a day or two for them to only install updates. I’ve since been living with it. Only really experiencing it when doing things like hoovering the car. Constant open and closing of doors seems to throw it out of sync. If I get in and go, it’s faultless!

The only solution is a screen replacement, it has to be.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Why not send a personal email to [email protected] the UK CEO explaining that your car is 2 years and 7 months old, that you have had the same fault since X, it has been seen by your dealer N times and you are once again being told that Mercedes will not sanction the replacement of the screen which is known to resolve the problem. Instead you are being told that all they are allowed to do is update the software which has been N times before without success. Tell her you are disappointed that a quality brand such as Mercedes are behaving in this way putting cost before customer satisfaction.

Angela won't see the email but it will be picked up by someone in the Chief Execs office, possibly Sam Johnson, who probably won't do anything about it but you might feel better and there is just the chance they will, either way you have nothing to loose.

Best of luck

·
Registered
4 Posts
Why not send a personal email to [email protected] the UK CEO explaining that your car is 2 years and 7 months old, that you have had the same fault since X, it has been seen by your dealer N times and you are once again being told that Mercedes will not sanction the replacement of the screen which is known to resolve the problem. Instead you are being told that all they are allowed to do is update the software which has been N times before without success. Tell her you are disappointed that a quality brand such as Mercedes are behaving in this way putting cost before customer satisfaction.

Angela won't see the email but it will be picked up by someone in the Chief Execs office, possibly Sam Johnson, who probably won't do anything about it but you might feel better and there is just the chance they will, either way you have nothing to loose.

Best of luck
Hi Macgd016 many thanks for the information, yes I will email Angela Shepherd I think something must be done to address this what could be a dangerous situation if the faulty vehicle is driven whilst the crucial dash board information is not displayed ie indicator left on giving false information to other road users especially at junctions, headlights on full beam, no knowledge of what speed you are doing and engine warning lights, and to cap it all you would be driving a vehicle which would be an instant MOT failure.
Thanks again

101 - 120 of 140 Posts