Mercedes A-Class Forum banner

Driving in Europe - Headlamp adjustment

24K views 19 replies 8 participants last post by  Meekoblue 
#1 ·
Hi guys,
I’m in UK and I’m planning to go to Italy with my A 200d AMG line in August for a couple of weeks.
Does anyone knows if there is a setting to automatically adjust the headlamp to drive in Europe or do I need to buy the stickers?

Ta

#2 ·
From the digital manual/guide:

Notes on changing the lights when driving abroad
It is not necessary to change the headlamps. The legal requirements are also met in countries in which traffic drives on the other side of the road.

I don’t know how this works, but no stickers apparently.

#4 · (Edited)
I haven't got the standard LED headlights, but this is the image from the Multi-Beam ILS.

It hasn't got the traditional "kick" up to the left, which would have required stick on deflectors or adjustment, instead it has the "stepped" profile, which does not require adjustment for the continent.

So if your headlight beam pattern looks like this and has the small step - you don't need any adjustment or beam deflectors.

If however your beam pattern looks like this, or you have traditional filament lamp halogen headlights, you have the traditional ECE headlamp pattern with kick up, so will need stick on deflectors or adjustment.

#7 ·
Yes I can 100% confirm that the multi-beams auto adjust, e.g. UK cars driving on the continent.

Sorry I can't comment on the non-multibeams but I'd imagine they work similarly.

#6 ·
I always thought there was a little switch under the bonnet on each headlight which altered them.. that might be on the W176 models mind... if they change automatically due to GPS that's pretty awesome. Maybe put in a quick call to the dealer. Just ensure you have a high vis jacket in the boot.

#9 ·
If you have the Premium Plus package you have multi-beams. Also, there is a little badge in the headlamp cluster itself labelled multibeam.

#10 ·
Thank you I only have the premium so probably not.

#11 ·
Some of the posts are misleading as the standard headlamps do not "Auto Adjust". They do not need to adjust as they are already to the legal requirement.
In the Uk you can have (but it is not mandated) a raised part of the dipped beam to the left, to illuminate the footpath and road signs. This would be in the eyes of the oncoming drivers if you took it to Europe.
Yes older cars had a lever to move shutter built into the headlight to blank the raised (UK) bit, or you could put a sticker to blank it yourself.
The modern A-Class has a flat top to the dipped beam making it legal in the UK and Europe, no adjustment needed
The premium lights mentioned above do auto adjust for Motorway/Urban/Roundabouts and the multibeam ones allow you to stay on Main Beam by blanking out the part that would dazzle oncoming driver.

#12 ·
Some of the posts are misleading as the standard headlamps do not "Auto Adjust". They do not need to adjust as they are already to the legal requirement.
In the Uk you can have (but it is not mandated) a raised part of the dipped beam to the left, to illuminate the footpath and road signs. This would be in the eyes of the oncoming drivers if you took it to Europe.
Yes older cars had a lever to move shutter built into the headlight to blank the raised (UK) bit, or you could put a sticker to blank it yourself.
The modern A-Class has a flat top to the dipped beam making it legal in the UK and Europe, no adjustment needed
The premium lights mentioned above do auto adjust for Motorway/Urban/Roundabouts and the multibeam ones allow you to stay on Main Beam by blanking out the part that would dazzle oncoming driver.
Well that settles it :D thank you Ben&Sandy

#13 · (Edited)
I have the AMG line premium with led headlights (not multibeam) my saleswoman told me she didn't think I had to adjust my headlights when going abroad as these LEDs don't need it, but seen on other forums that not all LED headlights are the same and some still need adjusting or will need deflectors put on.
Anyone know if I will need to get deflectors if going to France etc from the UK for this car?

Edit: just seem someone asked a similar question last month and that i don't need to adjust anything.

#14 ·
No adjustment needed. It's not because they are LEDs, modern lights are bright enough not to need the extra "kick up" on the Left hand side that we used to have in the UK to improve seeing road signs and pedestrians. On dip beam our lights have the same flat top (cut off) that they have had in europe for a long time.

#16 ·
I don't think there are any bulbs that even the AA man could replace at the side of the road. I was told by a mate that he just keeps his old ones from a previous car so he can show the cops something, even if none of them would fit.

#19 · (Edited)
Hi
Probably a silly question with a good answer but, Im planning next years holiday, driving to Germany from UK so Im thinking: what do I need to do regarding headlight beam correction on the A250e AMG line? Anything? Im guessing they wouldn't need those old nasty stickers?!

Many thanks in advance.

EDIT: Answered in thread

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.