Mercedes A-Class Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car has had an annoying deep 'rattle' that reverberates through the cabin and is best described as though coming from the floor towards the front of the car. It is worst when the car is cold and also cold weather increases it. To me, it sounds like perhaps the exhaust is just touching the underside of the car.

It happens only when the car is in 'D' and you are holding it on the foot brake or in 'HOLD' mode - say at traffic lights. Once the car is warm the noise is gone.

It has been to the workshop (twice) and they narrowed it down to coming from an engine mounting. When they rang MB for authorisation to replace it, they were told to hold off as there is a known problem with this affecting some A220 and A250 models and they are working on a resolution.

So, if you experience this, there is no quick fix unfortunately. I guess they are redesigning the mount. MB will call me back as soon as they have the new part.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Sorry i can't relate with you mon, the only other thing i can think of is that.. a few of my close relatives and friends have the impression that it's a "diesel" motor at first, until i told them that it was a petrol. I guess it makes excessive amount of noise when idle outside (especially when its cold), but in terms of inside noise, it's perfect for me, there's absolutely minimal noise. Still, the noise outside could be related with the mounting of the engine too. Keep your eyes and ears open boysss!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi
I have exactly the same problem with my A200 CDI auto
I took my car back straight away on purchase because of the vibration and was asked to put up with it for now - they did say it was a engine mounting possibly then.
3 months later it was driving me nuts so i took it back and gave them the keys and asked them to sort it.
Turns out the engine mounting has how collapsed and MB will not release the part and the car is now not drivable.
Currently my car has been sat at MB for over 2 weeks with no part to fix.
They have lent me a car - A250 which is awesome.

This is not what i expected moving from Ford to Mercedes - a broken car that can't be fixed.

·
Registered
297 Posts
wow, dandeany.. That's so major badluck buddy. But look at it this way, the company is figuring out how to fix your car, and at the mean time you've got the borrowed A250 to play around with! I'm sure you can appreciate the extra grunt and power of it ;)

Just keep your head above water and you should be fine fella!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.