Mercedes A-Class Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I am experiencing the same problem (pls check the YouTube link below) as this cla 250. Squeaking noise from the right hand side of the engine, at the drive belt area. I have already replaced the drive belt, belt tensioner, alternator OAD pulley but couldn't resolve the problem.

It only happens when the car is warm and at idle speed. Any idea? Please check the YouTube link below. Thanks.

https://youtu.be/StVT7CDSKzY

Cheers, Eric

·
Registered
417 Posts
Belt slippage noise is usually worse when cold.

I'm not familiar with the configuration of the engine but it sounds like it could be a bearing noise in a pulley or water pump or AC.
You can eliminate the AC by turning it off.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. My ac is off. I tried to turn it on and off but the noise doesn't change.

I guess the only possible cause is:
1. Water pump pulley
2. AC compressor pulley
3. Crankshaft pulley

What do you think? My car has only done 37k km.

·
Registered
417 Posts
You need a stethoscope! Actually a piece of garden hose will do.
Stick one end in your ear an then probe near each pulley with the other end to see if you can isolate the squeak.

The other way to check is to remove the belt and turn the pulley by hand. It should turn easily and smoothly. If there is a feeling of roughness or lumpiness, it could be a sign of your shot bearing

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks. I am thinking why the squeaking noise happens when the engine is warm rather than cold. completely out of my mind. Mercedes's quality is getting worse....I have a 1994 SL280 R129. The quality is fabulous and it is still running good. I doubted if my w176 can still survive in 2023.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Hey Guys, had the same problem..When they service MB they over full the engine with to much oil. That cause pressure and push the main crank seal out towards the pully, thats what you hear when seal tatch the pully....

Remove pully, change seal and the problem is sorted....Edited by: AMG A45 Mic

·
Registered
2 Posts
I currently have the same sqeaking noise coincidentally after a service?
Would there be a chance of any oil seepage from the oil seal too? I noticed the plastic tray under the car was covered in a small amount of oil.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey Guys, had the same problem..When they service MB they over full the engine with to much oil. That cause pressure and push the main crank seal out towards the pully, thats what you hear when seal tatch the pully....

Remove pully, change seal and the problem is sorted....Edited by: AMG A45 Mic
Hey
Which pulley did they need to remove to change the seal?

sorry just noticed its the main crank

Will check oil dip stick to see if overfilled. i guess gasket need to be changed regardless?? or can removing some oil fix issue?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi I would like to tell everyone My situation with this CHIRP. It was Infact the CRANLSHAFT seal, I will post pictures of the part number and also Will advise you on best way to get it fitted, As mercedes was claiming to charge £1987.00 Just for the labour to change the part ( APPARANTLY its an ENGINE OUT job) It took my mechanic 40 mins to fit.

Mercedes are just there to obviously Rip you off. Best way to fit this seal ring is to Put it on a Ramp, Remove the Wheel Liner behind the driver front Alloy, Remove the oil under tray too for a better view at the belts. One The liner is out the way, get a breaker bar and stick it up the through the gap between the engine and the chassis left to release the TENSION to remove the belt. You dont need to remove the Complete belt just make sure you be very careful as it will make the job abit longer. Just remove it carefully off the Crank shaft pulley ( Vibration Damper ). Open the middle bolt holding the pulley should come right off. There is a pin behind the pulley which apparantly makes it easier to line back up which is what made this easier for my mechanic. Once the pulley is remove you can see the crank seal, caeefully remove it will the flat head screw driver. Then you can put in the new pulley and in reverse order do the same steps. I have just had mine changed 4 days ago and Im well happy as I dint have to pay 2k for a 80 pound job tops.

I will post the part number of the seal just order it in mercedes its only 26.00 inc VAT ans get it fitted. I was SO annoyed listening to that CHIRP CHIRP CHIRP. I am only sharing this info as I want peoplw to get to the problem and get it sorted as I know it drove me mad for 6 months now good riddance. I promise many mechanics will say its the belt, or its the pulley etc its NOT. Its that seal that is it.

Please just go by your GUT not what they say to you. Im lucky I did my research before I got this seal done as alot of people changed the belt, tensioner pulleys and idlers.

Please note this is with all the MERCEDES A45 CLA45 GLA45 even.the DIESELS. Common problem. Issue is someone has overfilled the oil just above the max mark which causes the Crank seal to push against the CRANKSHAFT pulley causing a chirp chirp only when the car reaches Normal temperature.

Please dont let your mechanics tell you its a " Engine Out" Job cause it really isnt. I gor mine done In Nottingham.if not just drive up and use my mechanic will charge you the same gauranteed.

Get rid of that chirp. It also affects power as I used to feel decrease in power only when the car was hot as ****.

All the seals in the a45 cla45 and gla 45 are the same. not sure if its the same part number for the diesels but you will have to ring mercedes for that.

I really hopw I have helped someone today as I know the feeling of having a 30k car sounding like ****.

I am after a Induction Airfilter for my cla45 if anyone wants to do me a good deal inbox me. Thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
HI Guys

New here, just bought an 2016 A250 premium 35k miles on the clock, it was running fine no issues what so ever but this morning I have come out and started it to a squeaking noise when idle and when I rev the engine the noise continues to get even louder actually, really bugging me as I've just bought it, any ideas what it could be?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi all,

I am experiencing the same problem (pls check the YouTube link below) as this cla 250. Squeaking noise from the right hand side of the engine, at the drive belt area. I have already replaced the drive belt, belt tensioner, alternator OAD pulley but couldn't resolve the problem.

It only happens when the car is warm and at idle speed. Any idea? Please check the YouTube link below. Thanks.

Cheers, Eric
Hello. Did you find the cause of the noise? I have the same problem

·
Registered
2 Posts
I changed the belt and checked the crank shaft seal and it was in place, with no trace of touching anything or leaking oil. The noise continues when car is hot and stopped. When the engine oil cap is removed, the noise disappears.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi I would like to tell everyone My situation with this CHIRP. It was Infact the CRANLSHAFT seal, I will post pictures of the part number and also Will advise you on best way to get it fitted, As mercedes was claiming to charge £1987.00 Just for the labour to change the part ( APPARANTLY its an ENGINE OUT job) It took my mechanic 40 mins to fit.

Mercedes are just there to obviously Rip you off. Best way to fit this seal ring is to Put it on a Ramp, Remove the Wheel Liner behind the driver front Alloy, Remove the oil under tray too for a better view at the belts. One The liner is out the way, get a breaker bar and stick it up the through the gap between the engine and the chassis left to release the TENSION to remove the belt. You dont need to remove the Complete belt just make sure you be very careful as it will make the job abit longer. Just remove it carefully off the Crank shaft pulley ( Vibration Damper ). Open the middle bolt holding the pulley should come right off. There is a pin behind the pulley which apparantly makes it easier to line back up which is what made this easier for my mechanic. Once the pulley is remove you can see the crank seal, caeefully remove it will the flat head screw driver. Then you can put in the new pulley and in reverse order do the same steps. I have just had mine changed 4 days ago and Im well happy as I dint have to pay 2k for a 80 pound job tops.

I will post the part number of the seal just order it in mercedes its only 26.00 inc VAT ans get it fitted. I was SO annoyed listening to that CHIRP CHIRP CHIRP. I am only sharing this info as I want peoplw to get to the problem and get it sorted as I know it drove me mad for 6 months now good riddance. I promise many mechanics will say its the belt, or its the pulley etc its NOT. Its that seal that is it.

Please just go by your GUT not what they say to you. Im lucky I did my research before I got this seal done as alot of people changed the belt, tensioner pulleys and idlers.

Please note this is with all the MERCEDES A45 CLA45 GLA45 even.the DIESELS. Common problem. Issue is someone has overfilled the oil just above the max mark which causes the Crank seal to push against the CRANKSHAFT pulley causing a chirp chirp only when the car reaches Normal temperature.

Please dont let your mechanics tell you its a " Engine Out" Job cause it really isnt. I gor mine done In Nottingham.if not just drive up and use my mechanic will charge you the same gauranteed.

Get rid of that chirp. It also affects power as I used to feel decrease in power only when the car was hot as ****.

All the seals in the a45 cla45 and gla 45 are the same. not sure if its the same part number for the diesels but you will have to ring mercedes for that.

I really hopw I have helped someone today as I know the feeling of having a 30k car sounding like ****.

I am after a Induction Airfilter for my cla45 if anyone wants to do me a good deal inbox me. Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi pal
Where is you're garage can you send me name of garage and post code and will take my merc to him as i have same problem.. heres my number if you can wottsapp me would appreciate it 07752128546

Cheers
Scotty

1 - 18 of 18 Posts