Mercedes A-Class Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up my Engineered by AMG the other Thursday, had it 3 days then it just failed to start and the engine only turning over half a turn. It will eventually start after about 6- 10 half turns of the engine. They changed the crankshaft sensor and it started fine 5 times in a row then reverted back to not starting. Mercedes are now awaiting a crankshaft sensor as it has a new part number that has superseeded others. The car has now been with them 8 days and I cannot see that it will be the crankshaft sensor as they haven't experienced this problem before and surely all other new A Classes have the same crankshaft sensor?

Any other people experienced problems with there A class?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Lee551247 said:
I picked up my Engineered by AMG the other Thursday, had it 3 days then it just failed to start and the engine only turning over half a turn. It will eventually start after about 6- 10 half turns of the engine. They changed the crankshaft sensor and it started fine 5 times in a row then reverted back to not starting. Mercedes are now awaiting a crankshaft sensor as it has a new part number that has superseeded others. The car has now been with them 8 days and I cannot see that it will be the crankshaft sensor as they haven't experienced this problem before and surely all other new A Classes have the same crankshaft sensor? 

Any other people experienced problems with there A class?
Oh dear. Does not sound good.

I get mine a week today and things like this do not fill me with confidence!

Hope you get to the bottom of this.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Sorry to hear about the problem with the car, Lee551247, hope they fix it fast. My engineered is due next wk. I will be gutted if it happens to my car. I've waited 18 yrs to change cars from a little Corsa that never gave a problem until this last year! Hence the change! Good luck!

·
Registered
629 Posts
Sorry to hear about your terrible bad luck. I'm sure it will prove to be a one-off. The A Class has been running in parts of Europe for many months longer than the UK and there have not been any occurrences of this that I have read about on the main German forum.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Gutted for you!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just spoke to them and they are still awaiting the part. Other issues i had were only minor but still shouldn't of been present were the drivers doorcard was not fitted correctly and the rubber around the inside of the door had been pinched and not fitted correctly so it is having these items done also. The dealership has been brilliant but you just don't expect these issues with a brand new car. I reckon it was a Friday night car!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Lee551247 said:
Just spoke to them and they are still awaiting the part. Other issues i had were only minor but still shouldn't of been present were the drivers doorcard was not fitted correctly and the rubber around the inside of the door had been pinched and not fitted correctly so it is having these items done also. The dealership has been brilliant but you just don't expect these issues with a brand new car. I reckon it was a Friday night car!
Strange thing about the rubber trim, on mine external rubber trim on drivers door an front passenger door not installed correctly! Only took 10 minutes to sort but, kind of tucked in at the top, my fingernail was as much as I would dare to try, but its fine now.... Do hope they resolve your crank sensor problem.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I had an A180 petrolfrom Avis on hire, <500 miles on the clock, was in the 50 average zone on the clockwise M25 before the M23 and suddenly I lost power and the engine light came on giving me limp mode.
I had up to 2000RPM but no more, temp was over 90C. I sat on the hard shoulder and whilst I tried to work out what I did have that worked and whether I would need to call out the RAC - the temp came down, the engine fired up, light stayed on but it did give me up to 3K RPM which was enough to limp to friends. Icalled Avis and had a replacement A series next morning.

Good news tho - so far (touching cloth/wood) no dramas at all with the replacement A180 CDI but sad that a new car would get an engine light so early in its life - that said - it was a hire car so may have been ragged and spanked about from birth.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
tone1 said:
Lee551247 said:
Strange thing about the rubber trim, on mine external rubber trim on drivers door an front passenger door not installed correctly! Only took 10 minutes to sort but, kind of tucked in at the top, my fingernail was as much as I would dare to try, but its fine now.... Do hope they resolve your crank sensor problem.

I managed to pull my rubber back out but mine was trapped at the bottom. From where it had been pinched it no longer lied flat on the door as it had a bump in it hence the reason im getting it replaced.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
UPDATE: They fitted the crankshaft sensor yesterday and guess what??? It wasn't that!!

Apparently they are putting one of there more experienced tech guys on it today but speaking to the dealership yesterday I expressed my concern that now it is not what they thought they are now looking for a needle in a haystack! Tell me if I am wrong but surely I shouldn't be a test bed for Mercedes???

I am thinking if they are still no further forward with it today that they need to consider replacing the car or giving me a refund as the car could sit with them for weeks while they change every and other part what they think it could be, Surely the customer shouldn't be made to suffer whilst they carry out there research?? Yes ok I have been provided with a courtesy car but it is still not the car I have bought!

Sorry for the rant!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Why not put the experienced guy on from the start!!
I think your rant is fully justified and as a courtesy you should be offered a replacement car.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the response Andy. I think if they still dont know what is wrong with it by the end of play today i will be going in there tomorrow requesting an exchange vehicle or a refund!

·
Registered
42 Posts
IAMG said:
I had an A180 petrolfrom Avis on hire, <500 miles on the clock, was in the 50 average zone on the clockwise M25 before the M23 and suddenly I lost power and the engine light came on giving me limp mode.
I had up to 2000RPM but no more, temp was over 90C. I sat on the hard shoulder and whilst I tried to work out what I did have that worked and whether I would need to call out the RAC - the temp came down, the engine fired up, light stayed on but it did give me up to 3K RPM which was enough to limp to friends. Icalled Avis and had a replacement A series next morning.

Good news tho - so far (touching cloth/wood) no dramas at all with the replacement A180 CDI but sad that a new car would get an engine light so early in its life - that said - it was a hire car so may have been ragged and spanked about from birth.
This sounds almost exactly like what happened to mine. I don't eremember the temp being up that high though. What average temps are people seeing on theirs?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Lee how long have they had your car?

That's at least three forum members with engine problems currenlty (okay one is technically Avis' problem).

·
Registered
147 Posts
GNo said:
This sounds almost exactly like what happened to mine. I don't eremember the temp being up that high though. What average temps are people seeing on theirs?
Shouldn't get over 90 under normal circumstances.

EDIT: Just popped into my mind that could the problem be in the camshaft sensor and not crankshaft? Or maybe even in the variable cam timing wheel. My dad's C250 petrol had similar symptoms. First they replaced the camshaft position sensor but that didn't help. Only changing the VCT wheel cured the problem.

Edited by: Legge

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
GNo said:
Lee how long have they had your car?

That's at least three forum members with engine problems currenlty (okay one is technically Avis' problem).

They have had my car 2 weeks tomorrow. I spoke to them today and they have downloaded everything off the car and are sending the file to Mercedes for there input! I'm going into the dealership tomorrow to propose they replace it with another car or refund me as this could go on for weeks!

·
Registered
629 Posts
Let us know how it goes Lee. I had similar issues with MB over failing injectors on a new C250 a couple of years ago. It wasn't until I started threatening rejection of the vehicle that they sped things up (and compensated me for the weeks it was off the road).

1 - 20 of 43 Posts