Mercedes A-Class Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering what owners of an engineered think of it?
Have a weak spot myselffor exhaust notes, having owned an impreza for 9 years now. I know its not going to be a prominent but from the youtube clips i've managed to find its got some nice map induced pops on over run and a rather nice 'boof' or 'bursting' on flat out gear changes ....

Also are these audible from inside the car?

Cheers

·
Registered
349 Posts
Sounds very good has a bit of a pop when off the throttle turbo is louder than I thought it would be I think it is the right balance between sporty and anti social! Sounds good inside and outside the car! It's getting better as I'm doing more miles!!!

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Good news :D
Edited by: aguycalleddb

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the response Mbznut ... ive always found the sound of new exhausts to improve with use so what your saying makes sense.
I've read that the exhaust note is amplified in sports mode?
Also, how noticeable is the overboost function when flat out?

Sorry about all the questions chap!

·
Registered
349 Posts
No probs

I haven't given it to much stick yet mainly due to the weather ! And tried to be gentle for first 1000 miles. It is quite different in sports mode. Once warm it sounds great the gear changes are pretty, quick better than I thought they would be and the turbo sounds good. I haven't experienced too much turbo lag it's good fun and yet not too harsh.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thats more than understandable, the weather has not been great to say the least, and a running in period is prudent.
The auto box hasnt had many great reviews so its good to hear its better than you expected!! Thats pretty much what im after, a few thrills and spills with turbo and exhaust fun plus great handling and looks. Fairly certain an engineered will tick all the boxes!

Ive still got what feels like an eternity to wait till delivery though ...

·
Registered
349 Posts
What options have you gone for ? I waited ages for mine but it was worth it.
If its not loud enough for you brabus and lorinser have made a quad tail pipe exhaust!

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ive had to go basic, except for the reverse camera. Its a company lease, 3years 30k pa serviced.
Couldnt go for many options as the lease package due to miles was already fairly high. I hadagreed the designo magno paint but after placing the ordermercedes came back to meand said therewas some issue andthe designo paint optionis no longer available for an unspecified time.

Going to have to steer clear of mods unfortunately ....

Due to the miles i now do for work i refuse to drive my impreza, so they gave me a temp citroen c4 picasso (shocking!) for 6 months, that went back in december. Now in a rental fiesta 1.0 ecoboost 3 cylinder
until the engineered gets delivered.

What options did you choose?

·
Registered
349 Posts
Quite a combo of cars!
I wanted the designo grey but couldn't wait and the thought of not being able to polish it put me off!
Kept mine fairly simple chose mountain grey, mirror pack,heated seats, drivekit plus and really wanted the illuminated door seals and they were standard !

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The company gave me the citroen after a single mother left work so the car was spare, awful car, but driving it resulted in a lot of humour at the office and with friends. The rental fiesta is surprisingly good! Who would have thought we'd be back to 3 cylinder lawnmowers but withlittle turbos bolted on!! My impreza I love dearly, but after owning her for 9 years now the company a class will hopefully offer enough thrills to convince me its time to sell the her

Id have really liked the exclusive package and the pan sunroof, but I think my boss would have told me to go jump! You went for some decent options there, id have liked the heated seats too. I forget whether the heated seats option upgrades to leather seats too? How are you finding the parking visibility by the way?

·
Registered
349 Posts
I'm finding the visibility fine It feels like quite a large car when inside with the flat bonnet and lowish driving position, I prefer it to the other mercs I have had
Keep the scooby turn it into a track day blast!

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yeah i know what you mean, sat in an a class in the showroom a couple of weeks ago.It shares the same high level as the b class which is why the dash seems quite high when sat inside, and exaggerates the low feel of the seats. It does feel a lot bigger when sat inside.

God dont tempt me .... i really am at pains to lose the scooby, its a P1 and ive kept her completely OEM from day one. I have had to battle many years of the temptation of mod and tracking her. Except for a blast at the ring, and an airfield day that is ...

Checked out the lorinser and brabus sites ... loving the lorinser exhaust

Edited by: reza

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Expected delivery of early May, but dealer rekons itcould be sooner, like end of April. Im not really sure so im telling myself May.
The brabus looked too after market for me, the Lorinser looks class. I wonder how much one of them bad boys costs?? Shame there's no sound demo like they have for a few other mercs on their website.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Not too long to wait mate
The lorinser does look smart I expect it's a few thousand! I like to keep cars looking factory spec but could be tempted by that exhaust !
Brabus have also made a chip.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
yeah was looking at that too ... +34bhp so 245bhp. I make that about spot on for FWD car!!

·
Registered
349 Posts
Yeh it must be near the limit for front wheel drive. I have manage to spin the wheels quite easily. The a45 is four wheel drive.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
now that's the one i'd have gone for if i could have squeezed the company lol! .... i have always loved mercs and scoobies, the AWD A45 would be an ideal combo for me!! Its the perfect blend!! I imagine thats going to sound immense as well drive amazingly!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts