Mercedes A-Class Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

Had my A45s just under 2 years and thoroughly enjoyed the car.
But after 11 years of owning Audi's the new RS3 was calling me back.
The 2.0 litre engine in the Merc is one **** of a power plant but I wanted to get a 5 cylinder while I still can - in this mad EV pushing world !!!

Always had hatches but gone for a saloon this time as I just liked the look of it.
Its the black carbon edition.
Just picked it up last night so early days but big positives are:

Handling is way better than the last generation and styling is much more purposeful.
A few pics for those that are interested.

Thanks again - this is a great forum and as noted the Merc was a stunning car and will go down as one of my faves :cool:

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Hood

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Vehicle registration plate

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Hood

Automotive parking light Vehicle Grille Automotive lighting Hood

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@Snake Pliskin haha wondered when you would fess up, as I had spotted your posts at the other place ;)

All the best for the future, do remember to drop in from time to time!
ha ha nothing gets by you :)
I'm still very much interested to see what the 45s facelift holds so will for sure stick around mate.
The new M2 should also be a cracking car - so good to have each of the 3 German marques offering superb cars still.

·
Administrator
4,828 Posts
It's on my list to have an extended test drive. I couldn't live with the pogo suspension and handling of the 8V, by all accounts they have solved it with the 8Y.

That's a good colour you have there, (almost like M-B Mountain Grey ;) ) is it Daytona Grey?

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's on my list to have an extended test drive. I couldn't live with the pogo suspension and handling of the 8V, by all accounts they have solved it with the 8Y.

That's a good colour you have there, (almost like M-B Mountain Grey ;) ) is it Daytona Grey?
I wanted mountain grey on my A45s originally but Dealer had a white factory order coming through so went polar white on the Merc.
Yes its daytona grey and really suits the lines of the car and blends well with the carbon mirrors, side sills and tail spoiler.
Handling is much improved over the 8V - supple but firm and no bouncing !
I've gone standard suspension and it rides really well - but all the reviews say the mag ride is excellent too.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Congrats! I too would opt for the sedan. Looks great with the carbon details, color is nice too and I'm sure pics don't do it justice; would look awesome without that glare. Shame Audi doesn't offer a matte option. You didn't spec the ceramics did you? Can't clearly see. My first touch would be a rear tire size change to match the fronts. I'm sure they had their reasons to go with such an awkward fit (265 fronts 245 rears) but I wouldn't care. Of course the rear wheels are probably 8.5 inch so it would cost significantly more than a simple rear tire change. Second touch, well we all know what that would be.

You did the right thing to not wait any longer. That's exactly why we're already making plans on our last ICE car, which has to be special and reliable at the same time, as we plan to keep it for many, many years in the EV era (and wanted to see what everyone thinks). Car makers are already discontinuing part of their fleet, or swapping to EV which is all the same quite frankly. I mean how would you like an e-tron RS3? I'm pretty sure, in time we're all gonna be perfectly comfortable with EVs, performance ones included, but the transition won't feel the same for everyone. Kind of reminds me how people felt when dual clutch transmissions started phasing out manuals. Nobody liked it. Now most people love it. Same thing will happen with EVs. World moves forward.

Reactions: Snake Pliskin

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Congrats! I too would opt for the sedan. Looks great with the carbon details, color is nice too and I'm sure pics don't do it justice; would look awesome without that glare. Shame Audi doesn't offer a matte option. You didn't spec the ceramics did you? Can't clearly see. My first touch would be a rear tire size change to match the fronts. I'm sure they had their reasons to go with such an awkward fit (265 fronts 245 rears) but I wouldn't care. Of course the rear wheels are probably 8.5 inch so it would cost significantly more than a simple rear tire change. Second touch, well we all know what that would be.

You did the right thing to not wait any longer. That's exactly why we're already making plans on our last ICE car, which has to be special and reliable at the same time, as we plan to keep it for many, many years in the EV era (and wanted to see what everyone thinks). Car makers are already discontinuing part of their fleet, or swapping to EV which is all the same quite frankly. I mean how would you like an e-tron RS3? I'm pretty sure, in time we're all gonna be perfectly comfortable with EVs, performance ones included, but the transition won't feel the same for everyone. Kind of reminds me how people felt when dual clutch transmissions started phasing out manuals. Nobody liked it. Now most people love it. Same thing will happen with EVs. World moves forward.

Yeah the Dealer had this bizarre wall light in the handover bay - the entire wall was illuminated and just provided massive glare !?!?!
Overhead spots (like a regular showroom) would have been much better.
Regular brakes, did not opt for ceramics.
Yes there will be plenty of time to go EV in the future, so enjoy the last of the ICE cars while we can.

·
Super Moderator
5,107 Posts
ha ha nothing gets by you :)
I'm still very much interested to see what the 45s facelift holds so will for sure stick around mate.
The new M2 should also be a cracking car - so good to have each of the 3 German marques offering superb cars still.
@veeeight has his AI antenna everywhere and anywhere.

Sorry to see you go for the RS3 but I can fully understand. What was your wait time. Were there any discounts.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
@veeeight has his AI antenna everywhere and anywhere.

Sorry to see you go for the RS3 but I can fully understand. What was your wait time. Were there any discounts.
I ordered as soon as the books opened in late July / early August so 5 months in the end.
I think its one of the first carbons in the UK and all RS3's are few and far on the ground atm.
I think I just got very very lucky that my car came through relatively early.
Dealer said it was the 1st RS3 they had seen and they have zero demo or showroom cars either.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
oh and .... zero discount !
But I did swerve the 1st December Audi price increase which was 6% on the RS3 so that was something.
Plus my A45s retained almost 90% residual of what I paid for it in March 2020.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Insane! Used car market is on another level in the UK. I'll be lucky to get a 40% in a few years.

·
Super Moderator
5,107 Posts
Insane! Used car market is on another level in the UK. I'll be lucky to get a 40% in a few years.
It's slightly down I noticed last week going by the valuation through Motorway on my car. But yes, the UK market has never been like this in my recollection for mass produced cars, even if it is the fabulous A45s. You already know why I think that largely is.

·
Super Moderator
5,107 Posts
oh and .... zero discount !
But I did swerve the 1st December Audi price increase which was 6% on the RS3 so that was something.
6%? Big hike, but then again it's a sellers market and UK inflation is going be at that number shortly.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Literally just had a extended test drive of a sport back with mag ride. Very impressed with the ride quality and refinement. I also owned the previous gen rs3. This latest version is a massive improvement on the old model, but it is a lot quieter!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts