Mercedes A-Class Forum banner

1 - 20 of 180 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently exploring options to make the exhaust louder. On the lookout for any exhausts being released or custom mods people are thinking of.

iPE have released an exhaust which will be ready in 4 weeks. They have quoted £2950 for the exhaust and £500 for shipping and fitting.

I am thinking of doing just a back box delete for now but unsure if this would affect the warranty in any way. I imagine it will only affect the warranty on the exhaust but not on the engine.

Does anyone have any pictures of the underneath of the car? How many resonators the car has or what the piping looks like?

·
Registered
115 Posts
If it’s anything like the A35 then the only resonator after the GPF is the back box itself, and back box deletes are very popular, nice increase in sound without the expensive outlay of a full system. Might be worth checking out PCW exhaust mods, they modify standard exhausts, plenty of videos on YouTube etc. I was quoted £280 for a modified back box on my A35.

·
Registered
390 Posts
If it’s anything like the A35 then the only resonator after the GPF is the back box itself, and back box deletes are very popular, nice increase in sound without the expensive outlay of a full system. Might be worth checking out PCW exhaust mods, they modify standard exhausts, plenty of videos on YouTube etc. I was quoted £280 for a modified back box on my A35.
I think 45 has a front resonator, looks a pretty easy delete

·
Registered
99 Posts
I am thinking of doing just a back box delete for now but unsure if this would affect the warranty in any way. I imagine it will only affect the warranty on the exhaust but not on the engine.

Does anyone have any pictures of the underneath of the car? How many resonators the car has or what the piping looks like?
Why don't you take the car to an exhaust shop?
Deleting resonator would definitely make a huge difference. A mate did it on his new CLA45S and it sounds a tad louder, insanely louder pops and bangs in S/S+/R modes. We get AMG exhaust without OPF so that makes difference too, our cars are slightly louder but more refined and subdued compared to outgoing models. Resonator and rear muffler pictures attached.

Attachments

·
Registered
359 Posts
Currently exploring options to make the exhaust louder. On the lookout for any exhausts being released or custom mods people are thinking of.

iPE have released an exhaust which will be ready in 4 weeks. They have quoted £2950 for the exhaust and £500 for shipping and fitting.

They don’t want much for the exhaust that’s big bucks

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks I'll check them out and the price seems reasonable, I'll use it as a benchmark for whoever I use.

I think 45 has a front resonator, looks a pretty easy delete
Nice so there is a front resonator and a muffler at the back?

Will be taking it to an exhaust shop as soon as I can @AMGA45JT thanks for the pics

Lol yeah don't want to fork out another 3.5k on an exhaust atm ... hopefully can achieve something similar making small mods at a lower cost.

·
Registered
390 Posts
i would sleeve the front resonator and leave in place, dealer would never know unless they cut it open

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Would it be better to do a muffler delete rather than a resonator delete?

“The main distinction is that a muffler is designed to muffle the overall volume across all RPMs, whereas a resonator is designed to eliminate unwanted resonance or noise at a particular RPM, also known as exhaust drone.”

·
Registered
76 Posts
Why don't you take the car to an exhaust shop?
Deleting resonator would definitely make a huge difference. A mate did it on his new CLA45S and it sounds a tad louder, insanely louder pops and bangs in S/S+/R modes. We get AMG exhaust without OPF so that makes difference too, our cars are slightly louder but more refined and subdued compared to outgoing models. Resonator and rear muffler pictures attached.
Technically the A45s without OPF should also be more free breathing and as a result a tad quicker. After the new EU regulations, many manufacturers had to fit in OPF filters in their cars which saw a reduction of max hp.

Maybe good to try a few timed performance runs on yours and see how it stacks up with the owners from the UK?

·
Registered
359 Posts
My Ecu is going to Dms start of the week to get there map in it supposed to be 480-490 bhp
and getting Dms to turn off the opf filter etc was thinking off cutting out the opf and cat and resonator am I mad? How does this work with warranty ? could I bust out the opf without them knowing ? whats your views

·
Super Moderator
1,647 Posts
Regarding the warranty i think there are at least 4 reasons in your list that they might take issue with 😂😂

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My Ecu is going to Dms start of the week to get there map in it supposed to be 480-490 bhp
and getting Dms to turn off the opf filter etc was thinking off cutting out the opf and cat and resonator am I mad? How does this work with warranty ? could I bust out the opf without them knowing ? whats your views
Ok wait so there's four components that affect the exhaust sound? The cat, OPF, muffler and resonator?

Lol I reckon they will know if the OPF has come out. Warranty is a grey area ... is the OPF after the engine? If so physically removing it can't really affect the warranty of the engine (which is the important part). Any exhaust mods I've heard only affect the warranty of the exhaust but not the car or engine. But if they find out you messed with the ECU then that'll void the warranty on the engine I reckon.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Removing the GPF/OPF will void the warranty on the engine, as the ECU will have to be tuned to suit. Carwow did a comparison of an RS3 with and without the GPF and it made zero difference to the performance. If you value your warranty it’s not worth the risk in my opinion.

·
Registered
3,149 Posts
Ok wait so there's four components that affect the exhaust sound? The cat, OPF, muffler and resonator?

Lol I reckon they will know if the OPF has come out. Warranty is a grey area ... is the OPF after the engine? If so physically removing it can't really affect the warranty of the engine (which is the important part). Any exhaust mods I've heard only affect the warranty of the exhaust but not the car or engine. But if they find out you messed with the ECU then that'll void the warranty on the engine I reckon.

I think the real issue is it's also against the law and will void the insurance. But yellow van man Irish boy is at least being our guinea pig on this. Hopefully the police have bigger fish to fry.

Reactions: eh35amg

·
Registered
84 Posts
Lol we all terrible in a good way................, All of us have serious quick cars and yet looking for more................................Legally of course

·
Registered
359 Posts
I think the real issue is it's also against the law and will void the insurance. But yellow van man Irish boy is at least being our guinea pig on this. Hopefully the police have bigger fish to fry.
Forester you should have bought a donkey and kart instead of the A45S
you break the law every time your out in your car
what’s the difference in robbing a bank a taking 1M or 28million

·
Registered
3,149 Posts
Forester you should have bought a donkey and kart instead of the A45S
you break the law every time your out in your car
what’s the difference in robbing a bank a taking 1M or 28million
Can’t believe it. Less than 1100 miles and found a f... nail in one of the rear tyres and the tyre shop can’t repair it. I‘ve been to see them with the car. A new tyre on order for Monday replacement. I was going to go cruising in it at the weekend under our more relaxed lockdown rules.

Just a nail magnet and I don’t really want anyone else fiddling with my car when they go to change tyres.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Sorry to hear that forester how much u paying for the new tyre ? Pm me and might be able to help u get it cheaper

1 - 20 of 180 Posts