Mercedes A-Class Forum banner

181 - 200 of 231 Posts

·
Registered
CLA 45S
187 Posts
Reading through the thread, there still not an option to change exhaust to make it lounder, without a remap?
Yea there are plenty of options, multiple companies are offering cat back systems which would give an increase in volume over the stock system.

Changing the downpipe gives a more dramatic result but is much more tricky if you don't want to remap. Currently only Supersprint and MGmotorsport have designs able to prevent an EML on the stock map.

Just realised you said Supersprint and not MGMotorsportsPL. I had a look at the 200 cpsi downpipe on Supersprints website and its £2365 + VAT which is crazy compared to the €900 that MG are charging for their 100 cpsi downpipe.

i’ve asked MGmotorsports if they have a 200 cpsi option ... waiting for a response
The Supersprint offering is a more polished product and is able to guarantee you won't get an EML. That will justify the premium to some, I'm not quite there yet though personally.

Hopefully MG continue their R&D and get to point where they can offer a similar guarantee.

Can I get rid without a remap?
Not as far as I'm aware, IF the EML is emissions related you wouldn't be able to satisfy it without modifying the mapping or getting the values very close those of the stock setup.

Have you been able to establish exactly what is causing your EML yet? Is it the GPF pressure or the Lambda values?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Yea there are plenty of options, multiple companies are offering cat back systems which would give an increase in volume over the stock system.

Changing the downpipe gives a more dramatic result but is much more tricky if you don't want to remap. Currently only Supersprint and MGmotorsport have designs able to prevent an EML on the stock map.

The Supersprint offering is a more polished product and is able to guarantee you won't get an EML. That will justify the premium to some, I'm not quite there yet though personally.

Hopefully MG continue their R&D and get to point where they can offer a similar guarantee.

Not as far as I'm aware, IF the EML is emissions related you wouldn't be able to satisfy it without modifying the mapping or getting the values very close those of the stock setup.

Have you been able to establish exactly what is causing your EML yet? Is it the GPF pressure or the Lambda values?
not as yet was going to get a fault reader not sure to go for the scan pro or the Carly.

·
Registered
CLA 45S
187 Posts
not as yet was going to get a fault reader not sure to go for the scan pro or the Carly.
Emissions related codes should be shown by even your cheapo ELM327 based scan tools. If that doesn't show anything you'll need one able to read Mercedes specific codes.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #187
Had this reply from Mgmotorsports:

Hi, the only modification of the DP we were able to pull off without triggering the EML was a modification of the factory DP.
Removal of the GPF in custom DP jobs requires remapping, as well as the sport cat change, otherwise the EML light shows.

Any progress with the fault codes? @joni

Was told to loop the pipe that runs to the GPF but this hasn’t worked
They haven’t said this to me. Were you communicating through email?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Had this reply from Mgmotorsports:

Hi, the only modification of the DP we were able to pull off without triggering the EML was a modification of the factory DP.
Removal of the GPF in custom DP jobs requires remapping, as well as the sport cat change, otherwise the EML light shows.

Any progress with the fault codes? @joni

They haven’t said this to me. Were you communicating through email?
Was speaking to a gentleman called Bartek via email.

I’m just waiting for my code reader to arrive to see what the error code is.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #192
Coding out even if it doesn’t give you any power gains is a remap in effect. You’re still messing with the ecu and it will effect warranty.
Can merc pick this up though? Or is there a way of hiding it?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Can merc pick this up though? Or is there a way of hiding it?
I f you have overwritten any of the code within the ECU they can tell.

The issue is how far do they want to go to interrogate it.

Equally a refresh from a new factory software download has potential to overwrite causing the problem light to come back.

·
Super Moderator
3,506 Posts
I wouldn't be surprised if MB can tell real time that the ECU coding has been changed.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I wouldn't be surprised if MB can tell real time that the ECU coding has been changed.
I suspect you are right, certainly if they wanted to given the telematics in the car.

It's why after years of going the remapping route I'm now content to leave cars well alone unless I can find a Brabus like warranted solution on a car where I have a factory warranty on it. I remember when I had a remapped CLS I went to the expense of buying two ECUs and swapped them over at service time ! One running the factory settings and the other taped to 750bhp by Eurocharged/MSL :)

Not doing that again !

·
Registered
CLA 45S
187 Posts
I'm a little disappointed with the sound of the Armytrix system, it definitely sounds better than stock but doesn't blow me away. Their "cat simulator" sound interesting though, has anyone got any specifics on what exactly that is?

Having spoken with MGmotorsport again today they have again confirmed that currently there GPF delete does not always prevent an EML.

181 - 200 of 231 Posts