Mercedes A-Class Forum banner

101 - 120 of 184 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Recently installed CLA45s with full FI exhaust DP, sportcat, and catback. Crank up the volume and enjoy!

p.s. it's plug and play. No error codes after the install. However our A45s in this part of the world does not come with GPF.

So for the uk market would this be a problem? We will ever get a plug n play? As keen for me not to update ecu to avoid warning alerts...

·
Registered
71 Posts
ok thanks - so even if we changed the exhaust if the OPF was still there... there would be no difference? - sorry for maybe basic question.

·
Super Moderator
2,676 Posts
ok thanks - so even if we changed the exhaust if the OPF was still there... there would be no difference? - sorry for maybe basic question.
You'd get a marginal improvement in sound, depending on the system chosen.

·
Registered
CLA 45S
100 Posts
So for the uk market would this be a problem? We will ever get a plug n play? As keen for me not to update ecu to avoid warning alerts...
If you just fit a catback you won't have an issue.

On our cars the cat and GPF are a single unit and both are monitored by the ECU. This has to be taken into account when fitting a sports cat or decat. Plug and play options are available but have to compensate for the cat and GPF being removed on UK spec cars. Supersprint and MG motorsport both offer sports cats with GPF deletes which don't generate an EML.

·
Registered
71 Posts

On our cars the cat and GPF are a single unit and both are monitored by the ECU. This has to be taken into account when fitting a sports cat or decat. Plug and play options are available but have to compensate for the cat and GPF being removed on UK spec cars. Supersprint and MG motorsport both offer sports cats with GPF deletes which don't generate an EML.
Thanks really helpful - is the sound that much of an improvement with one or the other - and is the cost worth it?

·
Registered
104 Posts

MG Sport don't offer a sports cat that does not give error codes. What the offer is to modify your existing down pipe to remove the GPF element only, so you keep your existing CAT. With the sports cat with GPF delete requires ECU changes.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Recently installed CLA45s with full FI exhaust DP, sportcat, and catback. Crank up the volume and enjoy!

p.s. it's plug and play. No error codes after the install. However our A45s in this part of the world does not come with GPF.

Hey @vodka....do you think that Singapore imports (from UK dealers) will be the same as Malaysia? No GPF? Also, is the sound like that ALL the time or only when you are in S, S+ and/or RACE? Or even in C or I mode too?

Thanks. Sounds great.

·
Registered
CLA 45S
100 Posts
Thanks really helpful - is the sound that much of an improvement with one or the other - and is the cost worth it?
From the videos I've seen online it seems cat modifications yield significantly better results than just a catback alone. I'd say it's worth the extra money.

MG Sport don't offer a sports cat that does not give error codes. What the offer is to modify your existing down pipe to remove the GPF element only, so you keep your existing CAT. With the sports cat with GPF delete requires ECU changes.
That's not true. They remove the factory cat element and replace it, whilst retaining the factory housing. I have spoken to them extensively about this and they were confident they would be able to avoid an EML without any ECU mods.

The video on their YouTube channel shows their polish spec car (which includes a GPF from factory) with their sports cat and mentions in the description that no EML was generated.

It's simply a matter of getting a sports cat which can still filter effectively enough and generating the right pressure on the GPF sensors.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hey @vodka....do you think that Singapore imports (from UK dealers) will be the same as Malaysia? No GPF? Also, is the sound like that ALL the time or only when you are in S, S+ and/or RACE? Or even in C or I mode too?

Thanks. Sounds great.
I believe UK imports to Singapore will come with GPF. It's the same as our parallel import cars from UK. From what I know the ones with GPF will have some kind of pressure valve sticking out (see attachment) for a sensor to detect if the GPF is clogged but the overall dimension of the downpipe is the same for A45s with and without GPF. If the theory is true, removing the GPF should not cause an error as sensor would not indicate that it's clogged. Just a theory tho. Could be the reason tuners like MG sports state that the Euro spec cars don't throw error codes with their downpipes. Removing the cat will result in an error, but in our case the sports cat works and doesn't cause error codes to come up.

Attachments

·
Registered
104 Posts
From the videos I've seen online it seems cat modifications yield significantly better results than just a catback alone. I'd say it's worth the extra money.

That's not true. They remove the factory cat element and replace it, whilst retaining the factory housing. I have spoken to them extensively about this and they were confident they would be able to avoid an EML without any ECU mods.

The video on their YouTube channel shows their polish spec car (which includes a GPF from factory) with their sports cat and mentions in the description that no EML was generated.

It's simply a matter of getting a sports cat which can still filter effectively enough and generating the right pressure on the GPF sensors.
that’s what they told me when I spoke to them on the phone.As a result I order a down pipe with a sports cat and was told they could not guarantee no error codes

·
Registered
CLA 45S
100 Posts
I'm aware they don't offer a guarantee but in their testing they ran the GPF delete for 3 months and did not see any EMLs. In my case they offered to send me a downpipe to test and return if I had any problems. Given how much cheaper their solution is vs others out there, it's still worth considering.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #115
There is a noticeable difference with catback exhaust. I have one and the car sounds much better. However as @CREED mentioned, removing the OPF/CAT or replacing with sports cat will have a more significant difference.

that’s what they told me when I spoke to them on the phone.As a result I order a down pipe with a sports cat and was told they could not guarantee no error codes
Usually they modify the existing downpipe and test it on the car to make sure it works. Given we are from UK the solution they offered me was to ship them thedownpipe when they have another a45s in to work on so they can test before sending back to me. Would mean waiting till one comes in and not being able to use thecar for a few weeks. If they just ship a downpipe they probably can’t guarantee it won’t give error codes as they haven’t tested it.

Are you going to test the downpipe? @CREED I’m in two minds about getting it done. Would be good to hear one before I decide

·
Registered
CLA 45S
100 Posts
Are you going to test the downpipe? @CREED I’m in two minds about getting it done. Would be good to hear one before I decide
Yes, I'm currently waiting on them sourcing an OEM cat to modify, as with other parts for these cars they are proving tricky to get hold of.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I'm aware they don't offer a guarantee but in their testing they ran the GPF delete for 3 months and did not see any EMLs. In my case they offered to send me a downpipe to test and return if I had any problems. Given how much cheaper their solution is vs others out there, it's still worth considering.
The have emailed me the following “
There is also and important news regarding the ECU update requirement, we developed a simple solution which should allow you to avoid the ecu update.
I will have some installation info asap and will forward it to you.” So it seems they have resolved the need for ECU changes. if so I will run stock for a while before getting a map.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #118
The have emailed me the following “
There is also and important news regarding the ECU update requirement, we developed a simple solution which should allow you to avoid the ecu update.
I will have some installation info asap and will forward it to you.” So it seems they have resolved the need for ECU changes. if so I will run stock for a while before getting a map.
Is this for a standard dp from them?

·
Registered
CLA 45S
100 Posts
That's very interesting! Keep us posted!

101 - 120 of 184 Posts