Mercedes A-Class Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I have a 180D premium and I would like to change the exhaust system on it. Is it possible to put an a35 exhaust system on a 180D or are they completely different?
thanks!

·
Registered
195 Posts
The downpipe will not fit, because the turbos are not the same and also the engine bay arrangement is different. Afterwards the diameter of the exhaust from an a35 will be larger than the maximum required diameter for an 180D in order to be correctly functional. You will probably have issues with the backpressure. So in my opinion you should go for a custom one.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The downpipe will not fit, because the turbos are not the same and also the engine bay arrangement is different. Afterwards the diameter of the exhaust from an a35 will be larger than the maximum required diameter for an 180D in order to be correctly functional. You will probably have issues with the backpressure. So in my opinion you should go for a custom one.
Yeah I thought that would be the case. Guess I’ll take it somewhere and see what can be done. Thanks for the heads up!

·
Registered
249 Posts
Wouldnt line up to the back, as the A180d has fake plastic tips and a single pipe underneath, A35 has twin exits straight out through the metal tailpipes.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wouldnt line up to the back, as the A180d has fake plastic tips and a single pipe underneath, A35 has twin exits straight out through the metal tailpipes.
I was thinking that too but I can just buy a 35 rear diffuser or search in a scrappy for one 🤔

·
Registered
249 Posts
I was thinking that too but I can just buy a 35 rear diffuser or search in a scrappy for one 🤔
I converted my A200 to the A35 diffuser and used the quad pipes, Never got round to getting an exhaust on it though before I sold it. Was just kept as "fake" tips. as there was no exhaust piped up to it. I did it myself but It is very complex to swap. loads of brackets need swapping and rivets need drilling out. complete PITA.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I converted my A200 to the A35 diffuser and used the quad pipes, Never got round to getting an exhaust on it though before I sold it. Was just kept as "fake" tips. as there was no exhaust piped up to it. I did it myself but It is very complex to swap. loads of brackets need swapping and rivets need drilling out. complete PITA.
I was thinking of getting a back box delete and replacing it with pipes and hook them up to the tips of an a35 diffuser. Since my car is a lease though I need to find a spare exhaust system so I can replace it when handing it back in..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts