Mercedes A-Class Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I picked up my A180d on the 2nd Jan, pre-reg so 1 year old but only 98 miles on the clock and just under £20K. (PCP)

There's no doubt about the fact that i rushed into this, my company car was due to go back soon so i had to make a decision and the right spec car was there. No complaints with the car so far, in fact i'm really pleased with it.

So today I've started thinking about servicing and since i rushed into it i didn't see (nor was i told) about the having it serviced at a MB dealer to make sure they stick to the agreed final value or whatever it is. I'm happy to accept that this is a lesson learn't, its the first time I've done a PCP deal so i'll definitely know better for next time.

So today i was presented with the following costs..

Service 2020
B Service £362.60
Brake Fluid £102.36 (required every 2 years)

Service 2021
A Service £287.38
Air Filter £53.76 (required every 3 years/46,500 miles)
Fuel Filter £130.80 (required every 3 years/46,500 miles)
Automatic Transmission Oil £471.84 (required every 3 years/46,500 miles)

Service 2022
B Service £362.60
Brake Fluid £102.36 (required every 2 years)

Service 2023
A Service £287.38

TOTAL £1508.74 (Service 2020/2021)
TOTAL £1973.70 (Service 2020/2021/2022)
TOTAL £2261.08 (Service 2020/2021/2022/2023)

Service Care Plan for 2 services (2020/2021)

24 payments of £32.00 - £768.00 – Minimum saving of £740.74

Service Care Plan for 3 services (2020/2021/2022)

36 payments of £32.00 - £1152.00 – Minimum saving of £821.70

Service Care Plan for 4 services (2020/2021/2022/2023)

48 payments of £32.00 - £1536.00 – Minimum saving of £725.08

None of this is a problem, it is what it is and lesson learnt but i'm intrigued to see what everyone thinks. Does the above look about right or is my local Mercedes dealer trying to really rip me off?

·
Registered
154 Posts
How long is the PCP agreement? 4 years? You can always do a voluntary termination after you have paid 50%. And no it does not effect your credit score.
Your dealer absolutely spot on with Service Schedule and Prices.
For under 12 months old car plan starts at £29 pcm and over 24 months £32 pcm.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Not just the A class that has high service costs. ALL Mercs do and is their achilles heel. Always get a service plan when buying a Merc or accept the costs that go with running one. I have never known why they are dearer than Audi or BMW but have been for a number of years on all their models in comparison with the rest.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Someone’s got to pay for all those free drinks, cakes, cookies, plush furnishings etc. in the dealerships 😜
This is true, i can honestly say I've never even had a drink at the dealer but i think i'm going to start taking advantage.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Jesus. I didn't really think the savings for the plans would be so significant. I've been saving the A and B service amounts not really appreciating all the other elements. Sounds like its time to have a chat with my dealership...

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Jesus. I didn't really think the savings for the plans would be so significant. I've been saving the A and B service amounts not really appreciating all the other elements. Sounds like its time to have a chat with my dealership...
I'm pretty sure the individual costs are so high just to get people to agree to the service plans, there's absolutely no reason for them to be that much.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Are you sure those prices are correct? With my previous Mercedes the servicing has been fixed price from the dealerships, ie on my E350d it was £299 and then £599, that was it, no extras, everything included. That was at Stourbridge Mercedes.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Are you sure those prices are correct? With my previous Mercedes the servicing has been fixed price from the dealerships, ie on my E350d it was £299 and then £599, that was it, no extras, everything included. That was at Stourbridge Mercedes.
They're a copy and paste from the email sent from the dealer but i'm guessing they can quote and charge whatever they want.

I look at all this as a lesson learnt, it's the first car I've taken on PCP so i know what i'm getting myself into before i make a decision like this again.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have a new CLA, the 3 year service plan is half what I pay for my mobile phone per month. Its cheaper than my 16 Plate VW GTI was to service plus Mercedes will refund any unused value if you sell the car and the VW was cheaper to service the my daughters Fiesta by a main dealer. I'd paid 5 installments to VW but not had a service but there was no refund when I cancelled and bought the Merc

·
Registered
13 Posts
They're a copy and paste from the email sent from the dealer but i'm guessing they can quote and charge whatever they want.

I look at all this as a lesson learnt, it's the first car I've taken on PCP so i know what i'm getting myself into before i make a decision like this again.
Its a shame you didn’t get the 3 years free servicing, that’s what they gave me when I brought my A220 in October, little bonus I wasn’t expecting.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Also what is the difference between service A and B if you have to pay separately for the air filter, fuel filter, etc, what are you actually getting apart from an oil and oil filter change?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Your lucky with the service costs. Try running of the A45 😱😱
I was very interested in the A35, then decided i'd be better with an A200 and then decided i'd be better with the A180 🤣, most of my mileage is commuting so made sense to go cheaper.... this time.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Does anyone know how soon before your service you need to take a service plan out by? I was told that you can't take a service plan out if its almost time for a service but i forgot to ask how much prior does it need to be?

·
Registered
34 Posts
I took mine out after the service was due, service was due 14th Dec and didn't get it done till 3 days ago, they offered me the service plan then at £32 ppm.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts