·
Super Moderator
5,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reactions: steve_3939

·
Registered
16 Posts
Well, I really hope they focus on quality control and other issues like transmission as well rather than adding more power. I've had the original CLA45 and the update and now the CLA45S. The 45S has, so far, been the worst for cabin rattles, things not working and transmission that slowly becomes borked at any speed under 100km/hr. I've had the coolant issue 5 times, passenger and driver side window switches not work, rattles throughout the cabin especially the passenger side doors and front passenger seat, a boot lid that has stopped opening properly, front end creaks, now a rear end loud bang when driving off. The transmission is barely usable at slow speed or when cold. It is far worse than the early MB DCTs used in the previous generation. And there are a stack of other issues including freezing and resetting media system and squealing brakes.
So, more power is the LAST thing this generation of CLS45S/A45S need. They need to sort out all the other Sh1t first.

The sad thing is that the chassis and engine are remarkable and there really is an amazing car somewhere in there. It's just a disappointing mess with all the other issues that distract from the good stuff, like the actually amazing drive.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Well, I really hope they focus on quality control and other issues like transmission as well rather than adding more power. I've had the original CLA45 and the update and now the CLA45S. The 45S has, so far, been the worst for cabin rattles, things not working and transmission that slowly becomes borked at any speed under 100km/hr. I've had the coolant issue 5 times, passenger and driver side window switches not work, rattles throughout the cabin especially the passenger side doors and front passenger seat, a boot lid that has stopped opening properly, front end creaks, now a rear end loud bang when driving off. The transmission is barely usable at slow speed or when cold. It is far worse than the early MB DCTs used in the previous generation. And there are a stack of other issues including freezing and resetting media system and squealing brakes.
So, more power is the LAST thing this generation of CLS45S/A45S need. They need to sort out all the other Sh1t first.

The sad thing is that the chassis and engine are remarkable and there really is an amazing car somewhere in there. It's just a disappointing mess with all the other issues that distract from the good stuff, like the actually amazing drive.
Apparently if you have a 45S series car you’re not supposed to be annoyed by the below par interior quality. You must either continue to pretend it’s the best thing since sliced bread or just focus on making an extremely fast car even faster.

But seriously @Soupratt, I’m sorry to hear the problems you’ve had with your CLA45S have tainted your experience of what is still overall a fantastic car. I’ll be happy to be proven wrong, but I doubt MB will do much in the FL to improve the brittle W177 cabin.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Apparently if you have a 45S series car you’re not supposed to be annoyed by the below par interior quality. You must either continue to pretend it’s the best thing since sliced bread or just focus on making an extremely fast car even faster.

But seriously @Soupratt, I’m sorry to hear the problems you’ve had with your CLA45S have tainted your experience of what is still overall a fantastic car. I’ll be happy to be proven wrong, but I doubt MB will do much in the FL to improve the brittle W177 cabin.
Don't get me wrong. I love getting in the car and driving. The engine is a marvel. But one can't ignore the glaring issues for a car that is now close to $135,000AUD (MB Australia has made the price non negotiable)

·
Registered
1,316 Posts

·
Registered
564 Posts
As I've never had nearly any rattles, getting a power bump would be the number one thing on my wishlist for the FL. Provided that they haven't messed its beautiful looks, either inside or outside.

But to expand on my almost non existent rattles... I always place my key fob into the right cup holder which has the key sign at the bottom together with my garage remote and highway pass that I hate sticking on the windshield. Well all of that sh1t rattle a lot more than the interior when going over certain bumps or hitting potholes. That's how quiet my cabin is.

Reactions: TTG

·
Super Moderator
5,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As I've never had nearly any rattles, getting a power bump would be the number one thing on my wishlist for the FL. Provided that they haven't messed its beautiful looks, either inside or outside.
Same here. No rattles or anything build quality related.

With a car like this more power is the key, and if it's via an electric turbo all the better.

·
Super Moderator
5,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

It seems some of the examples are below par but I have nothing negative to say about mine. Our friend from Singapore found his so bad that he changed his A45s within just a few months. As I've posted below my A45s is better built than my wife's A3 which is the "peak Audi" previous gen. MB probably need to step up its quality control as much as improve build.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Same here. No rattles or anything build quality related.

With a car like this more power is the key, and if it's via an electric turbo all the better.
So what are your thoughts? If the FL does make 442hp, would it be enough of an increase or would you think you might be better off with a tune and make 470hp, skip the FL and wait for the 3rd gen? Frankly the only way for me to actually consider the FL, is if a black series was offered. Otherwise, well our cars are still new, right? I'd be comfortable in my 470hp 2020 A45s for a few more years.

That said though, that extra 21hp will definitely be enough to get our 1/4 mile crown back from the RS3. This is why it's pointless to compare straight line performance. The two cars will both be at the top every two years.

·
Registered
278 Posts

But to expand on my almost non existent rattles... I always place my key fob into the right cup holder which has the key sign at the bottom together with my garage remote and highway pass that I hate sticking on the windshield. Well all of that sh1t rattle a lot more than the interior when going over certain bumps or hitting potholes. That's how quiet my cabin is.
Exactly the same as you, no rattles, apart from the key in the cup holder lol

Zero rattles aside, I am having a lot of other issues all of a sudden.

The other night all the Ambient lights would shut off and wireless charging stoped working each time I'd increase or decrease the temperature via the heater controls.

Another night the auto highbeam would not work.

Keeping getting a message saying SOS not available.

The engine when cold sometimes runs really lumpy, to the point that today it nearly stalled after I started it up in the petrol station.

Gearbox, again mainly when cold will act up. Pull off in first and when it goes for second there is a massive delay and zero power, like the car has been put in neutral. This has left me floundering more than a few times, especially when pulling out onto a roundabout.

Second gearbox issue is that I will select drive or reverse and press the accelerator and the car won't move, it just revs. I have to then select park and the drive or reverse again, it's normally then OK.

All these issues have started around the same time, so I'm thinking some sort of electrical fault.Well apart from the gearbox issue where there is a delay into second when cold, that happens nearly every time I use the car, and the first 1st to 2nd gear change of the day, but can also randomly happen, even when the car is warm.

·
Super Moderator
5,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So what are your thoughts? If the FL does make 442hp, would it be enough of an increase or would you think you might be better off with a tune and make 470hp, skip the FL and wait for the 3rd gen? Frankly the only way for me to actually consider the FL, is if a black series was offered. Otherwise, well our cars are still new, right? I'd be comfortable in my 470hp 2020 A45s for a few more years.

That said though, that extra 21hp will definitely be enough to get our 1/4 mile crown back from the RS3. This is why it's pointless to compare straight line performance. The two cars will both be at the top every two years.
I would prefer more than 442hp, but if MB also increase the torque to 450lbsft and flatten both the torque and power curves, together with faster shifts. I think it will be a tough call for me whether to get an FL or hang on for the new version, probably around 2026.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts