Mercedes A-Class Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

I'm looking at buying my first car in 10+ years and have my eyes set on a used W177 AMG Line Exec / Premium. I'm considering one of the early 2018 builds. Are there any red flags for buying one of the early 2018 production models in terms of issues / anything lacking from later production builds? I'm unsure whether to spend the extra £1k - 1.5k for a 2019 version, with another year's mb warranty remaining and with less mileage (perhaps 10-20k vs 20-30k).

I've also been trying to find the early 2018 W177 brochure to no avail (earliest I can locate is effective Nov 2018 production). If anyone can point me in the right direction, I'd be very grateful!

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Mine was 68 A250. Been pretty good after almost 3 years. things like aug sat nav and CarPlay were optional extras then at £500 each so may not be on the car you get if you’re looking for it. Also won’t have the newest dials style, can’t remember what it’s called now. Good luck

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks! What are your servicing costs like? I just put the reg into the MB calculator and it came back as £675..!! That’s for a less than 3 year old, 1.3 litre A200. That seems insanely expensive. Are A Class’ really that expensive to service?

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Thanks! What are your servicing costs like? I just put the reg into the MB calculator and it came back as £675..!! That’s for a less than 3 year old, 1.3 litre A200. That seems insanely expensive. Are A Class’ really that expensive to service?
don't know as I got 3 years servicing free. You can get a monthly plan for about £30ish a month but I’ll be using a local indy from next year

·
Super Moderator
3,637 Posts
not sure that’s quite true, adding one of the updates allows it afaik
I recall that some early cars didn’t have the necessary hardware, so despite the MBUX update, still no CarPlay!

Best if OP checks if they feel CarPlay or AA is essential.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Once the car is out of MB warranty you could consider using a MB Independent where you should pay around £140 for an A service and £240 for a B

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Once the car is out of MB warranty you could consider using a MB Independent where you should pay around £140 for an A service and £240 for a B
Thanks guys, all really helpful! The budget can go to a newer model but I'm conscious of buying in the sweet spot for new enough to not have issues vs protection from depreciation (buying w cash), which is how I ended up at the 2018 builds. Very open to feedback or people's views though if you all think a more recent build is a better purchase.

·
Super Moderator
3,637 Posts
It all depends on the spec and options.

Option Packs we’re not standardised until recently, so what was included in “Premium” in 2019 may not have been the same in 2018.
There were also many stand alone options available then.

You really do have to comb through it very carefully to get the car and options you want.

Hence why MBUK decided to standardise everything into packs recently so there would be less confusion as to what was included or not.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It all depends on the spec and options.

Option Packs we’re not standardised until recently, so what was included in “Premium” in 2019 may not have been the same in 2018.
There were also many stand alone options available then.

You really do have to comb through it very carefully to get the car and options you want.

Hence why MBUK decided to standardise everything into packs recently so there would be less confusion as to what was included or not.
Thanks! Any tips on how to find the original 2018 brochure to check? I've only managed to find the one for builds effective November 2018.

·
Registered
2020 A200 AMG line premium plus with DAP
158 Posts
Thanks! Any tips on how to find the original 2018 brochure to check? I've only managed to find the one for builds effective November 2018.
I have lots of versions from when I started looking. Here's the Jan 18 one (deleted, it was the older model):

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have lots of versions from when I started looking. Here's the Jan 18 one:
Thanks Greatbit - that seems to be the W176 version, it's the W177 I'm looking at (facelift). Perhaps it's a little later in the year that the brochure was released?

·
Registered
2020 A200 AMG line premium plus with DAP
158 Posts
Thanks Greatbit - that seems to be the W176 version, it's the W177 I'm looking at (facelift). Perhaps it's a little later in the year that the brochure was released?
Sorry, I never looked! I'll delete that post and have a look for my oldest W177.

Update. Sorrry again, my earliest is 2019. I bought in 2020 and there were several brochures by then, all will subtle and not so subtle changes. One of the biggest was mine (June 2020) was the last one before all the 200 and 180 went to torsion bar.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sorry, I never looked! I'll delete that post and have a look for my oldest W177.

Update. Sorrry again, my earliest is 2019. I bought in 2020 and there were several brochures by then, all will subtle and not so subtle changes. One of the biggest was mine (June 2020) was the last one before all the 200 and 180 went to torsion bar.
No worries - thanks for looking!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts