Mercedes A-Class Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Someone know if the front and rear differential are free or LSD in the new 4maitc+ of 45s?
The only thing i have read about the front diff is that "it remains largely the same" as in the FL A45.

The FL fitted with Dynamic Pack apparently had an LSD there is a discussion on the forum but i have cut and paste below:

"
It's based on Haldex operation, but in the A45, its MB's own multi-plate locking clutch.

The "diffs" across the front axle and rear axle are "open" - so once you get a spinning wheel on either axle, all torque goes to that spinning wheel.

The multi plate clutch on the A45 only locks front and rear together (inter-axle), not side to side (cross-axle) like the rear of the Focus RS or latest Evoque.

That's why the front LSD (it's incorrectly described as rear in the UK configurator) is so good, it addresses most of the issues of AWD/Haldex cars. Its operation is very similar to the Quaife LSD."

·
Administrator
5,164 Posts
I have a W176 A45 with Dynamic Pack, and front LSD.

I believe the section that you have cut and paste is talking about the W176 A45, and not the W177, it refers to non-rear cross locked axles, the words/writing are remarkably familiar - in fact so familiar I had to double check as it sounded like something I would have written myself in 2016! ??

I don’t believe the W177 has a LSD for the front diff, “largely the same (as W176)” I would say, refers to an open diff, as the vast majority of W176 A45’s haven’t got the LSD option (ie: as standard, it was open diff).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.