Mercedes A-Class Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, I was waiting with baited breath for my first fault to rear its ugly head on this car, which is crammed with electronics. So, only two months into ownership and just this morning after driving twelve miles and parking up, I suddenly saw the message flash up on the drivers display, "Front right window bag malfunction, consult workshop".

I'd rather not visit a workshop if at all possible, as past experiences have taught me that you often leave their premises with new faults or damage to your car, that weren't there before! I wanted to seek an understanding from this forum, if anyone has had an airbag fault and had Mercedes breakdown come out to reset it. If this can't be done, then I'll of course take it into the dreaded dealership. At least its not one of the main airbags on the steering wheel and passenger dash. Thank you for listening to my tale of woe.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Mate take the car to the dealer. They will need to either update something or change a sensor. I think mine had both. I have found merc service is pretty pretty bloody good. They tend to look after your car betrer than most, at least here in Aus.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I had that warning a few weeks before my first service and had the airbag system reset at the dealer, which they did ASAP as it's a safety system. Apparently there is a fix in the works for the controller, but the current calamity will have put that on ice UFN.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've since discovered that a yellow text message indicating a fault or malfunction in this regard, means that a fault did occur with this safety system but it is no longer present and the system is working normally. As it is a safety system, the yellow text message will always come on when igniting the car, with a red airbag light lit on the dashboard. This merely requires a visit to the workshop to have the logged fault diagnosed and reset. I'm surprised that the staff at the Mercedes emergency centre actually had a good level of knowledge about this matter. I shall get this done as soon as possible.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My cold battery charge level is 12.1 volts, which seems a little low to me and the normal reading should be above 12.6 volts, unless its different with these vehicles. Once the engine is started however, it stays around 14.6 volts, which is ideal. I wonder if this low voltage is what's causing my front right window bag fault to appear, as the SRS system needs a very specific level of voltage in order to prime the airbags. I had it diagnosed and no airbag fault is actually live on the ecu. Just the stored fault, which after a reset did not appear until driving a few miles, stopping the car and following a restart, it again reappeared.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts