Mercedes A-Class Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Maybe not a winner, @AThirtyFive, but can’t argue with your proof or dedication to the cause. I remember my father telling me to never let my petrol level get too low otherwise I’d be cursing over residue blocking up my carburettor. Urban myth or resolved by technological advances? I don’t know. All I do know is that I can’t bring myself to let the tank fall below a quarter full. Hats off to you bravehearts.

·
Super Moderator
3,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Old school fuel tank pickup and old school carburettor problems :)

These days with saddle type fuel tanks and continuous fuel circulation, plus much better filtering, fuel tank sediment is no longer and issue.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Old school fuel tank pickup and old school carburettor problems :)

These days with saddle type fuel tanks and continuous fuel circulation, plus much better filtering, fuel tank sediment is no longer and issue.
You learn something new every day. Still reckon it’ll be a hard habit to break, mind.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
We didn't want you to become totally obsessed by the challenge. But at least now we know. And the lesson learnt is don't try this on your own car 🤣
I consider it a gift to humanity @Forrester. Well okay, maybe that’s stretching it a little too far. Let’s call it a contribution to the community 😆

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Maybe not a winner, @AThirtyFive, but can’t argue with your proof or dedication to the cause. I remember my father telling me to never let my petrol level get too low otherwise I’d be cursing over residue blocking up my carburettor. Urban myth or resolved by technological advances? I don’t know. All I do know is that I can’t bring myself to let the tank fall below a quarter full. Hats off to you bravehearts.
Definitely not a winner @Maxspencer99 but all well that ends well. It was a minor inconvenience as my son turned up with the fuel can about 15 mins after I called him - good lad 😃.

I did learn that the reserve tank in the A35 is not as large as those on BMWs and Audis. I’ve had a few moments over the years where I came close to running out in previous cars, but never actually did. I think it’s why I lulled myself into a false sense of security in the Merc.

Reactions: Maxspencer99

·
Super Moderator
4,308 Posts
Definitely not a winner @Maxspencer99 but all well that ends well. It was a minor inconvenience as my son turned up with the fuel can about 15 mins after I called him - good lad 😃.

I did learn that the reserve tank in the A35 is not as large as those on BMWs and Audis. I’ve had a few moments over the years where I came close to running out in previous cars, but never actually did. I think it’s why I lulled myself into a false sense of security in the Merc.
I wonder if MB will come out for running out of fuel 🧐

·
Super Moderator
4,308 Posts
I was going add, but I'm sure it's unfair, whether MB would come out because they didn't believe a real MB owner would let their car run out of fuel.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
I was going add, but I'm sure it's unfair, whether MB would come out because they didn't believe a real MB owner would let their car run out of fuel.
😂🤣😆

·
Registered
62 Posts
Forget running out of fuel, good effort BTW, but how much are you paying per litre to refill it......😬

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Forget running out of fuel, good effort BTW, but how much are you paying per litre to refill it......😬
The wonders of having a fuel card @Pieman. Haven’t really looked at the price of petrol or diesel in over a decade now since I’ve had one. It’s the biggest disincentive to considering a leccy car for as long as my company provides me with one...

·
Super Moderator
4,308 Posts
Everyone’s chancing it in the Christmas spirit. This is from my wife in her A3 earlier today

Reactions: veeeight

·
Registered
A200 Sport Premium
142 Posts
Was having a bit of fun at the weekend driving back from the lakes which is a 550 mile round trip. I thought I might just about manage it on one tank of my A200 (petrol), but about 20 miles from home the miles remaining indicator was hidden and I didn't want to risk breaking down.

Does the guage go red and start totally freaking out when you have five miles left?

What counts as bingo? Breaking down or breaking a certain mileage barrier?

·
Super Moderator
3,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
What counts as bingo? Breaking down or breaking a certain mileage barrier?
The game is to see how far you can go once the reserve light comes on, without running out of fuel.

You win the game if you get the closest to the tank capacity on subsequent fill up.

Eg if you manage to get 54.9 litres into a 55 litre tank, you win. But we need photographic proof.

If however you run out of fuel, go straight to jail, do not pass go.

·
Registered
18 Posts
My fuel gauge went amber earlier this week, does it subsequently turn red?
I didn't fancy pushing it further but now I've seen this thread, well, who doesn't like a challenge 🤔

21 - 38 of 38 Posts