Mercedes A-Class Forum banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I wanted to know if there are any news regarding a potential update that allows MBUX to display Apple Carplay on full screen. I really think it looks awful at its current state, and on most of the cars I’ve tried it works on full screen. Hope they update soon!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Test drove the new Porsche 911 and it didn't have it on fullscreen either. However it did seem like it was rendered at a much higher resolution and showed more crisp images.

·
Registered
770 Posts
I'm not sure but this could be more a problem with Apple Carplay and not the MBUX system. It's a bit like an old TV program that was made in 4:3 and showing that on a wide screen TV of 16:9, you get black lines down the side. Maybe Apple Carplay can't work on the aspect ratio of the 10.5 inch screen, only the 7 inch screen as most cars have this aspect ratio screen.

Disclaimer as I know there is somebody on this forum that likes to try and prove everybody wrong. I do not work for Apple or Mercedes, I do not own an Iphone and I do not have Apple Carplay, this is just an opinion.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I think it's more an issue with the way Mercedes have implemented the system. I have Android Auto and on there too the screen is a horribly low resolution. It doesn't fill the screen either which is annoying but I can live with it.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I don't think its fixable - sorry. Now whilst i like car play (especially on hire cars), now I have found how to talk to Siri I'm not sure car play gives me anything over the MBUX and bluetooth from my iPhone. I have tried to connect my phone to Car Play wirelessly but so far have failed dismally. I thought this was possible! Any help on this appreciated.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I think it's more an issue with the way Mercedes have implemented the system. I have Android Auto and on there too the screen is a horribly low resolution. It doesn't fill the screen either which is annoying but I can live with it.

You can increase the output resolution by going into Android Auto's developer mode parameters, 720p or 1080p are available.
It still doesn't fill the full screen (a bit more, however, from what I've seen), but it's way better than the default resolution.

·
Registered
52 Posts
You can increase the output resolution by going into Android Auto's developer mode parameters, 720p or 1080p are available.
It still doesn't fill the full screen (a bit more, however, from what I've seen), but it's way better than the default resolution.
Thanks! Just found the option, I'll see what it looks like when I'm back in the car.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Full screen on E-Class, why not on A-Class

Guys, as you can see on this video, Apple CarPlay works on fullscreen on E-Class (Command), so why not on A-Class (MBUX)?

Doesn't make any sense in my opinion ... I have created a quick mockup to show the dimensions are the same and will fit perfectly on the A-Class.

The excuse that MBUX uses the screen to display temperature and etc does not stop the possibility of a full Apple CarPlay.

The only reason to make Apple CarPlay look inferior is the plan to create an App Store to MBUX.

So please Mercedes ... give us full screen CarPlay :grin:

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Still waiting for this to be fixed. If I remember correctly, the boys from the Youtube channel “Straight Pipes” mentioned during their Croatia launch coverage that Mercedes and Apple couldn’t agree about the use of the aspect ratio of the 10,25” screen.

Anybody know an e-mail contact at Mercedes or Dailmer - who we can spam with our request for a full screen Apple Carplay?

·
Registered
674 Posts
I’m pretty convinced MB have been lazy and just implemented ACP in a way that works on both the 7” and 10” screens without any significant code changes. They just haven’t put in the effort to optimise for the 10” screens. I’m no apple fan boy, but on this occasion I really don’t think it’s an apple issue

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have contacted Georg Walthart, Product & Technology Communications from Daimler/Mercedes-Benz and looks like there is no future for a fullscreen Apple CarPlay.

With MBUX we are following a new direction, namely a symbiosis of MBUX and Apple CarPlay. As a customer, you can now easily switch back and forth between the two systems, as, for example, the MBUX HOME button always remains visible. The temperature is now constantly displayed, which is very important to many customers. This was not possible in the COMAND. I hope this information helps you.
I don't agree with that, I believe Apple CarPlay can be extended to 10 inches as we have redundant home buttons on the car and the temperature can still be displayed as an overlay or on top, like it is on Command. What do you guys think about create a poll to show Mercedes this is a important feature to us and submit when we have substantial votes? This way they might understand is a customer desire/request.

·
Registered
348 Posts
That sounds weird, they are basically stating that they display the temperature all the time. What about the cars with 7" screens, do they get an even smaller carplay screen with the MBUX menu and temperature at the bottom. That sounds impossible.

Let them just implement a feature/option that allows the customer to switch between 10" and 7". So that when someone does want to see the temperature they can choose it themself. And other clients can just switch for the 10" fullscreen.

·
Registered
25 Posts
This is exactly what I have proposed to Daimler/Mercedes on the email, just give the option for the users who wants to go full 10 on the menu :)

1 - 20 of 85 Posts