Mercedes A-Class Forum banner

41 - 60 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Agree. We really should start a petition! By the way, the new BMW series 1 is coming with 9 inch screen as standard, so CarPlay will be appropriately full screen as there is no other size like in the A Class - might be something worth mentioning to Mercedes so they understand how they’re falling short compared to their main competitor.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Agree. We really should start a petition! By the way, the new BMW series 1 is coming with 9 inch screen as standard, so CarPlay will be appropriately full screen as there is no other size like in the A Class - might be something worth mentioning to Mercedes so they understand how they’re falling short compared to their main competitor.
Well I would say that Daimler just doesn't give a ****, since they already sold the cars. But if I read all the information from e-mails and forums, I looks like we might get it this year or early 2020.

Mainly since the development team is "working" on an update for it. But truth be told, I think its just so that Daimler can promote their new MBUX system with all great functions. I mean let's be fair the old NTG system was pretty bad. And now with the integrated browser and Tidel its better until you realize you have to pay a small diamond to use the on-board 4G...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
So if I understand correctly, until Mercedes doesn't launch an update we won't have Full Screen Carplay? That really sucks.

Has anyone tried Carplay with iOS 13 Beta? Any chance you upload some pics. I still haven't been able to because my phone is getting repaired

·
Registered
412 Posts
So if I understand correctly, until Mercedes doesn't launch an update we won't have Full Screen Carplay? That really sucks.

Has anyone tried Carplay with iOS 13 Beta? Any chance you upload some pics. I still haven't been able to because my phone is getting repaired
Have already tested it with IOS13 Beta, posted a picture somewhere on a different topic regarding CarPlay.

Can confirm its just Daimler who is lazy and didn't implement full-screen support.

[Quick copy of the original picture]

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Have already tested it with IOS13 Beta, posted a picture somewhere on a different topic regarding CarPlay.

Can confirm its just Daimler who is lazy and didn't implement full-screen support.

[Quick copy of the original picture]
Thanks!! I was really hoping for full screen support:crying:

·
Registered
86 Posts
I doubt that. The older NTG system in the current E class supports full screen CarPlay. I suspect it is more likely marketing wanting a third party system look poor compared to their new wizzy MBUX

·
Registered
412 Posts
I doubt that. The older NTG system in the current E class supports full screen CarPlay. I suspect it is more likely marketing wanting a third party system look poor compared to their new wizzy MBUX
Older NTG 5 system is totally not comparable with the latest NTG6 aka MBUX system. Different base systems, with almost not base code of the old generation.
If you take your time and decode it using the onboard CAN-module you can easily see that there is currently no way to enable/support full-screen CarPlay.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Older NTG 5 system is totally not comparable with the latest NTG6 aka MBUX system. Different base systems, with almost not base code of the old generation.
If you take your time and decode it using the onboard CAN-module you can easily see that there is currently no way to enable/support full-screen CarPlay.
This is really interesting

Yes I am aware they are very different

What sort of things are stopping it ? Is it the CAN module reporting to the phone what the resolution is to use ?

Can you post any info I'm really interested

Do you think it is this likely to change with future car model updates/refreshes ?

·
Registered
412 Posts
I've just started a petition here : http://chng.it/GCyhyYVbkT

I tried to explain the problem but english is not my native langage, so if you like me to improve the text please send me updates.
If I'm not mistaken, a forum-member contacted one of the Dutch engineers. He was told that, there might be a software solution at the end of the following year.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I suspect this is still two or more years away in terms of being in actual cars but as of iOS 13 CarPlay will support multiple screens of different sizes

This is a tech presentation but it is obvious what they are showing

https://developer.apple.com/videos/play/wwdc2019/252/
Nice video! It is something we know since the Keynote but there is one interesting info:
the metadata iAP for the HUD is already available on current iOS (so this is something that is not limited to BMW).
Can someone confirm those metadata are already used by the hud? (Still waiting for my new CLA).. maybe to try on the FU2

·
Registered
412 Posts
Nice video! It is something we know since the Keynote but there is one interesting info:
the metadata iAP for the HUD is already available on current iOS (so this is something that is not limited to BMW).
Can someone confirm those metadata are already used by the hud? (Still waiting for my new CLA).. maybe to try on the FU2
How can one confirm the use of the metadata in the beta build?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Yes it has been there since iOS 9

In terms of nav turn directions when using CarPlay maps I think I have seen this on the very latest Renault Clio driver display.

Given there are some connections between the companies hopefully one will let the other copy their homework !

·
Registered
909 Posts
Yes it has been there since iOS 9

In terms of nav turn directions when using CarPlay maps I think I have seen this on the very latest Renault Clio driver display.

Given there are some connections between the companies hopefully one will let the other copy their homework !
It seems car manufacturers are increasingly sharing hardware platforms and differentiating their products on styling and software. So sharing code seems unlikely unfortunately, but you never know.

One of my customer's is a major German car manufacturer (not saying who). They have 60,000 engineers of which historically 90% were mechanical engineers. They are preparing for a near-term future where 50% will be mechanical and 50% software engineers. And they are someway down this path already...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
I have been using the new Car Play on iOS 13, and to be honest I hated the new interface in such a small screen. I feel the older version looked better. I the used it in a new Rav4 that has full screen and a huge screen and it was really good. Hope they offer an update soon!

·
Registered
19 Posts
I suspect this is still two or more years away in terms of being in actual cars but as of iOS 13 CarPlay will support multiple screens of different sizes

This is a tech presentation but it is obvious what they are showing

https://developer.apple.com/videos/play/wwdc2019/252/
Might be sooner if their own tech presentation seems to be using the MBUX system as the example (not the A-classthough, 4 air vents beneath screen).

Attachments

·
Registered
909 Posts
Might be sooner if their own tech presentation seems to be using the MBUX system as the example (not the A-classthough, 4 air vents beneath screen).
I have a feeling the photo you posted is of iOS 13 carplay running on the older Command system in the E or S class, not MBUX unfortunately...

·
Registered
86 Posts
Yes that is the current E class. I was in one a few weeks back and it worked fine in full screen and has done since launch in 2016 and uses the older NTG 5.5 system

41 - 60 of 92 Posts