Mercedes A-Class Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Anyone here with a manual transmission? I have now ~1600 miles on the clock and pretty much from the start I've noticed a noise from the clutch on some occasions. It's more noticeable when cold but can also be heard faintly after the clutch has warmed up. The noise only occurs when pulling away with 1st or reverse gear. No problems when changing the gear.

A bit hard to describe but it's a kind of rubbing sound in a series "tu-tu-tu-tu-tu" when the clutch starts to bite properly. Easier to hear if pulling away from a slope and have to give it more gas. There are no vibrations etc. Just the noise. I can reproduce the sound quite easily by slightly slipping clutch while the hand brake is on. No extra noises from the clutch when pressing it standstill or while driving.

Another thing is a clicking noise from the clutch pedal itself. Sounds like the switch that is sensing whether the pedal is being pressed. Anyone else noticed this. I don't think this was present from the beginning, so anyone tried to lubricate the parts?

Edited by: Legge

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have had a simular sound on mine. Took it to the dealers and they could not replicate it and said if I hear it again take the car back again. The car does still make the sound but havent been back to the dealers yet as I havent had time. Not sure if its the clutch as the noise seems to come from low down on the passenger side.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Why don't you do the test with the hand brake? Engage the HB and then
start lifting the clutch while giving it same gas. You should hear it at
the point where the clutch starts to bite properly. Turning the stereo
and the air con fan off makes it easier.

My first theory was that
it could be the ABS pump working with hill start assist or ASR.
Obviously it's not as it happens standstill and on a level ground. I should
get a mate to do the pedal pushing and listen the source outside.

mixonic2 said:
Took it to the dealers and they could not replicate it and said if I hear it again take the car back again.
This is why haven't been at the dealers yet and developed the bullet proof method of replicating the soud yesterday

Edited by: Legge

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just realised that in the UK passenger's side is the same as my driver's side
Based on that, I'd say that your observation is correct. Couldn't it still be the clutch? The engine/transmission is sideways in the engine bay, right?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My car was at the dealer today. I demonstrated the noise in the morning and they kept the car for testing. The conclusion was that the noise could be coming from the engine mounts. I'm not super convinced but that'll do for now. Let's see if gets worse over time or maybe cure itself.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I think I've heard this a couple of times... I park underground so I have two getaways plus a hill start in the first 30 yards.

Also first has been a little tricky to engage once or twice, either it needs to loosen out or there's the likely scenario of my occasional "pint potting" gear selection being the issue!!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Many car reviewers have deemed the manual box only "adequate". The gear change can be a bit stiff, especially when the box is cold. I kinda like it as it feels sporty
Forgot to mention that my dealer compared it to their own manual A180 and they said, it was the same.

Maybe I'll just stop being neurotic and start enjoying my Merc

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had a chance to test drive another A180 manual in the morning. The same noise was present there, so it's probably normal. Still pretty sure, it's coming from the clutch.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Interesting, seeing these reports. When I read reviews way back last year there were concerns over clutch type noises and even a "feeling" through the clutch pedal if you have a bad habit of lightly resting your foot on the pedal. I am not sure if people mean manual clutch or auto clutch?
I had to wait some considerable time once I had placed my order last August as the MB dealers were waiting on a "showroom" model, I got a call from them saying that a car was in now and I could test drive it.....
It was a left hand drive, auto, pano roof.... so different from what I had ordered. I had to concentrate so much on driving rather than the car.. (sitting on the wrong side) and I had a very nervous salesman beside me that the test drive was useless....... Although the auto box was so smooth and no sign of a jolt or jump between the auto box changing gear, I was impressed. Now I did notice this noise coming from the footwell area and when I put one of my feet further over, I could feel a slight vibration. Hard to describe but I assumed it was something rotating..... The salesman said that he had noticed that. Once another showroom model arrived a few weeks later, with a manual box, I was allowed to take that one out and that on had no noises at all

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don't remember hearing any noises during the test drive before I got my own car (manual box). Then again, the noise isn't that loud. If you have the radio on, it's easy to miss it. Not really a big deal as it doesn't affect driving nor comfort. I was just worried that something is failing in the clutch assembly..

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hello guys!Finally what was the conclusion of the problem?I am now 4K km on the clock and sometimes when I change the gear from 2nd to 3rd I hear a noise, I think it's from low in the front of the engine of the driver's side (left handed car).There is no vibration nothing in the feeling but only a sound that confirms that the gear is changed (a bit metal sound). I talk about a180 petrol manual transmission.I haven't faced it in other cars.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts