Mercedes A-Class Forum banner

241 - 260 of 284 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just hope my gearbox gets updated as well. Revs seem all over the place.
My car was in today for the FUP3 update and gearbox software update to try and correct the revs and gear changes that are all over the place at the moment.
Here is my update:

I had a really nice young guy who knew a lot about MBUX software.
He had no problem at all in updating my car which is only 3 weeks old to the new ntg6/080 software ... better know as FUP3.
He also said he would update the gearbox module software, which he said he did.
He told me to try it and see if it is any better on the revs and gear changes.
However ... unfortunatley there is no change that i can feel so far in relation to gearbox update, it seems exactly the same to me.
He did say that the gearbox goes through a learning process which can happen up to about 1500 miles. Then it should get better.
I have done almost 1000 miles so i will give it the benefit of doubt and see what happens after another 500 miles. If it gets no better after that it will be going back again.
I can also confirm that with the new FUP3 update the speed camera alerts are now working and go BONG about 100 yards or so before the camera.
So all in all some things fixed and some not.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My 6 week old A250 came with FUP2, and Dashcam is just shown as not activated, so all Mercedes UK would need to do would be to add it to the Store and sell it, when they decide to.

I dropped the car off yesterday (and of course they didn't actually do it today), but when I was sent the pre-inspection video, they said that the update would take 100 minutes.
Apart from loosing all the settings, the only thing I've noticed is the camera POIs now beep. Make sure you back up your settings before getting the car booked in.
I had the same problem dave79
Mine was in today for updates.
They said they had to remove my profile from MBUX as the system resets when they update the car to FUP3
But it's not too bad, it doesn't take that long to redo all the settings again.

·
Registered
78 Posts
My car was in today for the FUP3 update and gearbox software update to try and correct the revs and gear changes that are all over the place at the moment.
Here is my update:

I had a really nice young guy who knew a lot about MBUX software.
He had no problem at all in updating my car which is only 3 weeks old to the new ntg6/080 software ... better know as FUP3.
He also said he would update the gearbox module software, which he said he did.
He told me to try it and see if it is any better on the revs and gear changes.
However ... unfortunatley there is no change that i can feel so far in relation to gearbox update, it seems exactly the same to me.
He did say that the gearbox goes through a learning process which can happen up to about 1500 miles. Then it should get better.
I have done almost 1000 miles so i will give it the benefit of doubt and see what happens after another 500 miles. If it gets no better after that it will be going back again.
I can also confirm that with the new FUP3 update the speed camera alerts are now working and go BONG about 100 yards or so before the camera.
So all in all some things fixed and some not.
Mine has only done 159 miles at the moment. Lol. Still a newborn.
I need those bongs. Within half a mile of my house there are 9 speed cameras. It's insane.
I know I should just remember where they are , but I'm forgetful and some of them are close to where it changes from 40 to 30.
Little reminders are helpful.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Mine has only done 159 miles at the moment. Lol. Still a newborn.
I need those bongs. Within half a mile of my house there are 9 speed cameras. It's insane.
I know I should just remember where they are , but I'm forgetful and some of them are close to where it changes from 40 to 30.
Little reminders are helpful.
Tell them you need gearbox update and new mbux software update
I had no problem at all with them doing the updates
Maybe because my car is so new they couldn't really say much, plus i came across as i knew a lot about these updates :)

·
Registered
78 Posts
Tell them you need gearbox update and new mbux software update
I had no problem at all with them doing the updates
Maybe because my car is so new they couldn't really say much, plus i came across as i knew a lot about these updates :)
I have told them I want the poi alerts and that I was advised I need a software update. Which is technically true. Just didn't tell them who advised me.
I did mention that I have reception errors on my sat Nav Intermittently just as a backup.
Also mentioned the gearbox thing.
Annoyingly won't be done till end of August now as my closest dealership refused to let me bring my kids along (I have no choice, can't leave them home alone at 2 and 6) and they won't do collections.
Next dealership along will happily collect it, and drop it back, just gotta wait a bit.

·
Registered
78 Posts
My 6 week old A250 came with FUP2, and Dashcam is just shown as not activated, so all Mercedes UK would need to do would be to add it to the Store and sell it, when they decide to.

I dropped the car off yesterday (and of course they didn't actually do it today), but when I was sent the pre-inspection video, they said that the update would take 100 minutes.
Apart from loosing all the settings, the only thing I've noticed is the camera POIs now beep. Make sure you back up your settings before getting the car booked in.
How do you backup settings?
My dealership told me we won't be getting the dashcam in the UK at all as they are illegal (clearly they aren't) I'm hoping she just doesnt have all the information.
That's one service I want more than anything else on mercedes me.

·
Registered
A180 AMG Line Premium Plus Auto with Distronic (the one bit I wanted!)
57 Posts
Mercedes UK told me speedcam notifications in the UK were illegal!!! So well informed.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Checked with Mercedes Hull and their Service Manager of 25 years had never heard of the software update. I said perhaps he should check out aclassclub.co.uk, because it’s well known and being rolled out by dealers in some parts of the UK. I was asked if I wanted to book the car in to which I declined citing no confidence in theIf knowledge of my vehicle.
As I’m not on a service plan, I’m now looking to take it in to an authorised servicer. Perhaps they will be able to update me to FUP3 for a fee? Very disappointed in Mercedes Hull. Firstly they couldn’t sell me the car at a decent price and now they can’t offer me confidence in their ability to service it after I bought it elsewhere. It may be like many have commented, that they don’t get paid for updating software therefore feign ignorance of its Existence. If that’s the case, I’m even more disappointed. Love the car, not liking the support infrastructure so far.
As an update and to be fair to Mercedes Hull, the service manager did call me back and say that the FUP3 label threw them and that they could update me to ntg6/080 at my first service. Still waiting to hear back from an authorised MB servicer whether they can update the software. I know @antnee says not but given that MB proper want £321 for the A service, I'm hoping to prove him wrong. 🤞🤞🤞

·
Registered
78 Posts
As an update and to be fair to Mercedes Hull, the service manager did call me back and say that the FUP3 label threw them and that they could update me to ntg6/080 at my first service. Still waiting to hear back from an authorised MB servicer whether they can update the software. I know @antnee says not but given that MB proper want £321 for the A service, I'm hoping to prove him wrong. 🤞🤞🤞
Jesus. Why are they charging? Can't you just claim you have issues with mbux? Then they would update to fix the issues for free under warranty.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Do you need to have the nav screen on the display to get the speed cam alerts? I’m guessing you will. If so do they still work with the nav on the drivers screen?

·
Registered
693 Posts
I think you need to separate servicing from warrenty. MB have a duty to update the software on your car under warrenty, but although an Independent garage can carry out the service for you they will not be paid by MB for warrenty work, sorry!

·
Registered
57 Posts
I think you need to separate servicing from warrenty. MB have a duty to update the software on your car under warrenty, but although an Independent garage can carry out the service for you they will not be paid by MB for warrenty work, sorry!
Interesting statement about "duty under warranty" Have you seen that written downanywhere because that is the crux of the matter, I believe?

·
Registered
693 Posts
Interesting statement about "duty under warranty" Have you seen that written downanywhere because that is the crux of the matter, I believe?
Its pretty straightforward surely @GraemeW, new MB cars have 3 years manufacturers warranty, as others have already said here the FU3 software fixes a number of faults so if you present your car to a dealer saying that you have one or a number of these faults they will have to update your software under warranty. Simple really

·
Registered
57 Posts
Its pretty straightforward surely @GraemeW, new MB cars have 3 years manufacturers warranty, as others have already said here the FU3 software fixes a number of faults so if you present your car to a dealer saying that you have one or a number of these faults they will have to update your software under warranty. Simple really
But supposing Mercedes came out with (let's make something up!) a new design of rear wiper installation which was found to cut down drag. Would you expect them to replace your wiper installation? I would have hoped that the car would be treated the same as buying a computer - free of charge software updates to "operating systems" but I don't think Mercedes do at the moment.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Sorry, may not have been clear. The service is £321. The MBUX update is free of charge. That's why I'm waiting on hearing from the MB approved service indie so hopefully I can get them to do the service and the update. TBH I don't want to be taking two separate trips - bit paranoid during the pandemic, I admit - and if I use the MB main dealer this time, I can always change to the indie for my B service which is likely to be a lot more!

·
Registered
78 Posts
But supposing Mercedes came out with (let's make something up!) a new design of rear wiper installation which was found to cut down drag. Would you expect them to replace your wiper installation? I would have hoped that the car would be treated the same as buying a computer - free of charge software updates to "operating systems" but I don't think Mercedes do at the moment.
That's not the same.
That's changing a design, not fixing a fault with the car.
Mercedes do update for free, just seem to need a reason to do so as opposed to people just wanting an update just to have the latest software.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Sorry, may not have been clear. The service is £321. The MBUX update is free of charge. That's why I'm waiting on hearing from the MB approved service indie so hopefully I can get them to do the service and the update. TBH I don't want to be taking two separate trips - bit paranoid during the pandemic, I admit - and if I use the MB main dealer this time, I can always change to the indie for my B service which is likely to be a lot more!
Makes much more sense now. Lol.
Nothing wrong with being paranoid at the moment. Especially when it means people you don't know being in your car etc.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I'm sure you're right about the indie not being able to update the software @Macgd016 as I haven't heard back from my enquiry. I guess it's a great way for MB to hang on to service business. Like I say, the B service is the big expense so assuming I don't need another FUP update then, I'll definitely try outside of MB.

·
Registered
446 Posts
These updates represent a murky area. The manufacturer is contractually required to repair faults. Where they discover a parts fault with batches of cars, they will either note the system as a recall, or if the remedy is a firmware update to the car that is viable with an OTA update, they will do that. I've had a couple of these over the two years I've had the car.

The so-called FU updates are not intended to remedy faults, they are largely cosmetic or other non-essential changes. That is why they do not appear as a flag on the system for the dealer to pick up. Since there is no clear fault with the vehicle, and since MB has not flagged it as a recall issue, the dealer will not be paid by MB for doing the work. As a consequence, they will either refuse to do the work, or will agree to do it, at a cost to the customer. Some of the larger dealers (I believe Marshall is one) have taken a commercial decision to do the work anyway. But not all dealers will.

I believe these updates are the tweaks MB was talking about at launch of the A Class in 2018, when they anticipated regular OTA updates over the first couple of years of the life of the model. For whatever reason, they have been unable to implement the updates OTA, hence the old-fashioned method of shipping DVD's to dealers. In true MB fashion, they have resisted the temptation to come clean to their customers about the reason for this farce.

241 - 260 of 284 Posts