Mercedes A-Class Forum banner

261 - 280 of 284 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
These updates represent a murky area. The manufacturer is contractually required to repair faults. Where they discover a parts fault with batches of cars, they will either note the system as a recall, or if the remedy is a firmware update to the car that is viable with an OTA update, they will do that. I've had a couple of these over the two years I've had the car.

The so-called FU updates are not intended to remedy faults, they are largely cosmetic or other non-essential changes. That is why they do not appear as a flag on the system for the dealer to pick up. Since there is no clear fault with the vehicle, and since MB has not flagged it as a recall issue, the dealer will not be paid by MB for doing the work. As a consequence, they will either refuse to do the work, or will agree to do it, at a cost to the customer. Some of the larger dealers (I believe Marshall is one) have taken a commercial decision to do the work anyway. But not all dealers will.

I believe these updates are the tweaks MB was talking about at launch of the A Class in 2018, when they anticipated regular OTA updates over the first couple of years of the life of the model. For whatever reason, they have been unable to implement the updates OTA, hence the old-fashioned method of shipping DVD's to dealers. In true MB fashion, they have resisted the temptation to come clean to their customers about the reason for this farce.
Except these updates do fix faults. Fup3 for instance fixes the poi audio bug plus intermittent map errors, mbux freezing etc.
They are certainly not just cosmetic changes, as tbh there are often not that many cosmetic changes made.
These bugs and errors are still faults, and as such are covered under warranty.
Hence why dealerships will update when you mention these faults with mbux.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Except these updates do fix faults. Fup3 for instance fixes the poi audio bug plus intermittent map errors, mbux freezing etc.
They are certainly not just cosmetic changes, as tbh there are often not that many cosmetic changes made.
These bugs and errors are still faults, and as such are covered under warranty.
Hence why dealerships will update when you mention these faults with mbux.
Quite right, which is why I suggested this to @GraemeW

·
Registered
122 Posts
My only problem after FUP3 is that "Hey Mercedes" recognition is not happening as fast as before. I caught myself saying "Hey Mercedes" 3 to 4 times to have the MBUX respond on how may I help you the last couple of weeks.

·
Registered
78 Posts
My only problem after FUP3 is that "Hey Mercedes" recognition is not happening as fast as before. I caught myself saying "Hey Mercedes" 3 to 4 times to have the MBUX respond on how may I help you the last couple of weeks.
Didn't they tweak it to be less sensitive because people were moaning in reviews etc that it was turning on with just the word "mercedes" when people were in conversation or something?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Didn't they tweak it to be less sensitive because people were moaning in reviews etc that it was turning on with just the word "mercedes" when people were in conversation or something?
I don't know that's why I am asking for other FUP3 owners to check if anyone else noticed this also

·
Registered
446 Posts
Well to put it another way: MB do not consider these updates important, hence them not being flagged as recalls.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Really, I dont find it too sensitive 😎

The only time mention Mercedes in the car is when I'm complaining that something isnt working as it should 🤣

·
Registered
78 Posts
Really, I dont find it too sensitive 😎

The only time mention Mercedes in the car is when I'm complaining that something isnt working as it should 🤣
Mine came on the other day when I wasn't even speaking.. and noone else was in the car. Lol. Think she heard something on the radio that sounded something remotely like hey mercedes

·
Registered
A180 AMG Line Premium Plus Auto with Distronic (the one bit I wanted!)
57 Posts
Just spoken to the dealer who supplied my car. THey know they will not be called to service it because they at 200 miles away and I reminded them of that. Asked them about NTG6/080.They said there is no update available for the A class. I asked them to check the Xentry system. They said that's where they were looking. No update! Which is what my local dealer is telling me. Not sure where to go next!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Just spoken to the dealer who supplied my car. THey know they will not be called to service it because they at 200 miles away and I reminded them of that. Asked them about NTG6/080.They said there is no update available for the A class. I asked them to check the Xentry system. They said that's where they were looking. No update! Which is what my local dealer is telling me. Not sure where to go next!
Mine said the system says there are no updates, but also said they can't fully tell if there any updates for my VIN until they plug it in.
I will be a tad annoyed if they have ithours then turn around and say there were zero updates to perform, just want my speed cam alerts.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Of course they wouldn't recall for infotainment software bug fixes. No company would do that.
Recalls are normally safety related.
My point exactly. Just because third party software is not compatible is no reason to modify under warranty, else Apple would be inundated with complaints.

·
Registered
78 Posts
My point exactly. Just because third party software is not compatible is no reason to modify under warranty, else Apple would be inundated with complaints.
This isn't third party though as it's part of the car.
If IOS goes wrong it's on apple to fix it under warranty. this is no different.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Mine was updated yesterday to FUP3, and i definitley noticed that it is less sensetive now than before when you say "Hey Mercedes"
I found like you i had to say it a couple of times to get it to react.

·
Super Moderator
2,125 Posts
I think I prefer it less sensitive, after all, you can just press the button on the steering wheel for her to ask “How may I help you” ;)

I don’t even have “Hey Siri” switched on, preferring something physical to press to initiate it.

Saves all the embarrassment when she inadvertently responds to your voice in the middle of a presentation or Zoom meeting! 😂

·
Registered
122 Posts
Mine was updated yesterday to FUP3, and i definitley noticed that it is less sensetive now than before when you say "Hey Mercedes"
I found like you i had to say it a couple of times to get it to react.
So there we have it, its not only me! "HEY MERCEDES" recognition is less sensitive meaning you have to ASK 3 times to get a reply! Not a feature if you ask me.

A STANDARD, SENSITIVE, OFF menu would be a solution to configure HEY MERCEDES

·
Registered
54 Posts
So there we have it, its not only me! "HEY MERCEDES" recognition is less sensitive meaning you have to ASK 3 times to get a reply! Not a feature if you ask me.

A STANDARD, SENSITIVE, OFF menu would be a solution to configure HEY MERCEDES
Or a simple programming change to allow you to say whatever you want. I have the exact same problem with 'hi google'. It must be all about the branding.

261 - 280 of 284 Posts