Mercedes A-Class Forum banner

381 - 394 of 394 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Contact Mercedes customer care (not the dealer) and report the dealer. Ask them if they will liaise with the dealer on this matter. Remember to tell Mercedes customer care how the dealer made you feel & chuck in the "I don't expect this kind of treatment from a premium brand" line in for good measure.

Once sorted, march smugly into the dealership (making sure to speak to the same person) and get your FUP3 update.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks for the quick reply. The service was really poor, not what I expected. I'll get in touch with Mercedes.

·
Registered
2020 A200 AMG line premium plus with DAP
100 Posts
Just been to Mercedes in Aberdeen and they haven't heard of FUP3 (spoke to the service manager). He said even if they knew what it was they wouldn't do it as he wouldn't get paid for it. Even under a service. He didn't actually believe me that it existed. Made to feel like a liar tbh, not a very pleasant experience.
Any idea how I would go about getting the upgrade if the dealer doesn't know anything about it? Thanks Hugh
Bare in mind that Mercedes have changed the naming, with FUP no longer in the name. It is now apilevel/ntg6/080, so it's possible your rude dealer really didn't know there was an update.

What version do you currently have? If it's FUP2, then tell them your audio alerts are not working on Personal POIs, and you know for a fact the issue is resolved in /080

·
Registered
56 Posts
Just been to Mercedes in Aberdeen and they haven't heard of FUP3 (spoke to the service manager). He said even if they knew what it was they wouldn't do it as he wouldn't get paid for it. Even under a service. He didn't actually believe me that it existed. Made to feel like a liar tbh, not a very pleasant experience.
Any idea how I would go about getting the upgrade if the dealer doesn't know anything about it? Thanks Hugh
When I went to Stockport, admittedly I was also there to get a clanking noise sorted which meant the fuel tank had to be replaced. When I first got the car back I was told it was updated and it wasn’t, all that had been updated was the mapping. Luckily I hadn’t even left the car park at this point so I went back in and spoke to the service team again, they said there were no updates. I asked them to plug the car in to the computer and try to update it, ten minutes later I was told they had found the update, given the keys back to my courtesy car and picked up the next day with FUP3 installed. I’m not sure where this “we don’t get paid for updates” comes from because Stockport told me they will get paid my Mercedes for any time spent on the vehicle, including updates.

When they told me there was no update, I suggested we turn on one of their latest delivered cars so I could show them it would have apilevel/ntg6/080. We never needed to do this as they stated once plugged that plenty of updates including this one were needed to be done.

·
Registered
468 Posts
I bought my car from Stockport, too. They are correct in saying that any update work that is not flagged on the system by MB, will be not be recompensed by MB. The issue with updates of course is that they are not fixes, repairs, as defined by the Warranty, so the subject appears to fall into a grey area, probably because these type of updates were intended to be OTA.
When I had my first service last year I asked about these updates and they told me there was nothing, which may have been true at the time. I didn't push the matter because I wasn't particularly interested in these non-essential updates, but it seems dealers have been left at sea by this extra non-warranty work. I don't blame them for not wanting to carry out unpaid work, particularly because they know that they will also be left with the aftermath if the updates do not work as intended - as can happen.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Many thanks for the comments. I'm not sure how I should feel about dealers not getting paid for updates or even knowing about them. I bought a car that has available "non-essential updates" that enhance the driver experience but I don't know whether I can get them or not without upsetting a local dealer. Or be made to feel like I'm an inconvenience to them. Bit sh1t tbh.

·
Super Moderator
2,448 Posts
Sometimes, ignorance is bliss.

On previous (but modern) cars, I've been driving Audi's etc. with firmware in various modules (eg ABS, gearbox, engine ECU etc.) all with the firmware/software that the car left the factory with, I wasn't in the dealership asking for the latest updates on those modules (even though they were available), mainly because they all worked fine.

Only if there was a problem, would an update be done on that particular module.

I honestly can't see what FUP3 gives you over FUP2 - apart from audible warnings on Personal POI's.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Does anybody else have the issue when calling a number which automatically selects options for you and waits periods of time before selecting them? For example in my phone it would be programmed as 08001230987,2,3,,,,,,1 . This used to work in fup2 and doesn’t anymore. If I do it through the phone to do it whilst connected to the car Bluetooth it works but not through the car.

·
Registered
787 Posts
I bought my car from Stockport, too. They are correct in saying that any update work that is not flagged on the system by MB, will be not be recompensed by MB. The issue with updates of course is that they are not fixes, repairs, as defined by the Warranty, so the subject appears to fall into a grey area, probably because these type of updates were intended to be OTA.
When I had my first service last year I asked about these updates and they told me there was nothing, which may have been true at the time. I didn't push the matter because I wasn't particularly interested in these non-essential updates, but it seems dealers have been left at sea by this extra non-warranty work. I don't blame them for not wanting to carry out unpaid work, particularly because they know that they will also be left with the aftermath if the updates do not work as intended - as can happen.
I completely agree, MB promised OTA updates but are with the exception of map updates failing to deliver them. Its a B- and could do better from me

·
Registered
26 Posts
Also (and I don’t know if this was after I upgraded to FUP3 or when my iPhone was upgraded to iOS13.7 or both!) but CarPlay now supports dual screen. I can see turn by turn directions on the steering wheel screen as well as full Apple Maps on the centre screen. Interestingly this only works with Apple Maps and Google and Waze don’t seem to be supported yet.
Can you please show us a picture? Thanks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I was at the dealer, my car sat for 2 hours and no update for fup, i said all problems for need to update but nothing changed and all settings were reset..

·
Registered
241 Posts
I told them when I had it booked in for service about the issues and it needed the update. They stated that they would need it all day in that case which I agreed to, only to get a call later in the day saying the issues you are having means we need to install and update (yeah we knew this) so will need to book the car in again to do this as we won't have time today... it's now booked in for this next week. hopefully almost there.

381 - 394 of 394 Posts