Mercedes A-Class Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,

I've just bumped into an interesting quirk which I thought I should share.

I just updated the Garmin Map Pilot OS software on my SD card using the procedure documented by MB in the link below - the car came with a v6 map and had the older style OS/user interface. I used the MB download manager to update the OS and as expected it didn't offer a map update as the car had been registered against the card for more than 60 days (Fresh Map update feature).

When I put the SD-Card back in the car, what interested me was the car treated the SD-Card as a brand new card, and gave me a message that this card is now tied to car and can't be used in any other car. That made me wonder if the new OS had reset the card's first used date, unlocking Fresh Map, so I put the card back in the PC and run MBs download manager again, and low and behold it's allowing me to download and update to map V12!

I don't know if this is intended or just a quirk, but I thought others could benefit from this.

Garmin map pilot update install guide

M.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Just tried mine.
V12 software, but still 2018 V10 maps.

·
Registered
23 Posts
success

Update from map 2015 (v5.0) to Map 2019 (v12) Europe 17.52GB
As stated in earlier thread updated software to version 12 sw60.33 18/22 E59.0
NO MAP CHANGE
Inserted in satnav new message new card use on this car yes
checked map still 2015 version 5
plugged back in computer run mercedes benz download manager says new map available.
Downloaded job done

·
Registered
53 Posts
Just tried mine.
V12 software, but still 2018 V10 maps.
Same happened to me; had 2017/2018 V9.0 SD Card.

put it in PC, had an update, but only updated software to version 12.0; maps are still V9.0 2017/2018

:sad:

·
Registered
23 Posts
update

As Veeeight says to update map you have to put it back in the computer after it has been inserted in your car and executing instructions on dash screen. This only updates software on your Garmin in first instance.
Then run mercedes benz download manager again with sd card inserted in computer. It will then prompt you new map update available.
Depending on your broadband speed 17Gb is the file size for updated maps.
@ superfast broadband bt speed (upto 80Mbs) It took about 4 hours.
Once downloaded to sd card mine failed activation first time on mercedes benz download manager app. probably time out on app. Closed app down restarted it automatically knew sd card needed activating which it did. Job done

·
Registered
53 Posts
Have you tried re-inserting it back into the PC, after trying it in the car?

As per Post #7
As Veeeight says to update map you have to put it back in the computer after it has been inserted in your car and executing instructions on dash screen. This only updates software on your Garmin in first instance.
Then run mercedes benz download manager again with sd card inserted in computer. It will then prompt you new map update available.
Depending on your broadband speed 17Gb is the file size for updated maps.
@ superfast broadband bt speed (upto 80Mbs) It took about 4 hours.
Once downloaded to sd card mine failed activation first time on mercedes benz download manager app. probably time out on app. Closed app down restarted it automatically knew sd card needed activating which it did. Job done
Yeah, so I removed the SD card from my car and inserted it into my laptop; it gave me the update to software v12.0.
I then inserted the SD card back into the car and it was recognised as a brand new card, asking me to confirm that I want to tie it to this vehicle, I said yes. Everything looked the same, and then I went to the settings and then 'my maps' to check the version, it still said version 9.0 2017/2018 maps.
So I tried putting the SD card back into the laptop, but the software said my card was up to date.

Tried multiple times, but keeps telling me that it's up to date and no updates are shown. :confused:

·
Registered
986 Posts
Yeah, so I removed the SD card from my car and inserted it into my laptop; it gave me the update to software v12.0.
I then inserted the SD card back into the car and it was recognised as a brand new card, asking me to confirm that I want to tie it to this vehicle, I said yes. Everything looked the same, and then I went to the settings and then 'my maps' to check the version, it still said version 9.0 2017/2018 maps.
So I tried putting the SD card back into the laptop, but the software said my card was up to date.

Tried multiple times, but keeps telling me that it's up to date and no updates are shown. :confused:

Same for me.. it would not update the maps to 2019
But if you go to the dealer they should update the maps FOC anyway while it is under warranty.

·
Registered
53 Posts
But if you go to the dealer they should update the maps FOC anyway while it is under warranty.
Hmmmm, actually, that's an idea.

I didn't actually buy the package with maps; my SD card is an eBay one, (although genuine ???)

So I don't think the dealer will do it for me ?? --> HOWEVER, if there's a chance they would despite me buying the SD card after the fact, please let me know as my car is going in on wednesday for another issue. :(

·
Registered
737 Posts
No this is not so.
Maps will only be updated for up to 60 days post purchase. After that your on your own.

From the MB website >>

------------
Check here whether free map updates are available for you.

Check whether free map updates are available for you. Start the download manager for the navigation system SD card to begin.
Information about free map update:
Congratulations on choosing the navigation system SD card. But perhaps you have noticed that the pre-installed maps on your original SD card are not completely up-to-date? No problem – if more recent maps become available within 60 days of first using the system you will receive these free of charge.

This is what to do:
Insert your original SD card into your PC, launch the download manager for the navigation system SD card and download your free offers.

Information about paid map update:
If no free maps are available, you can buy an updated SD card from your local dealership. Contact your dealer.
----------------

·
Registered
22 Posts
Just did what the original post said and it worked... updated software but no map updates available, put in car - tied to car and put back into computer, new 2019 map downloaded and installed! ? from 2016-19 and took 6hrs. Thanks for the heads up (I didn’t even know the satnav could be updated by the consumer) another point to mention is that the Mercedes downloader is only supported by windows with no Mac version available

·
Registered
3 Posts
Me too! Do you get an SD card on 2019 A-200 W177?
It appears you don't, well not with my 15 plate W176 or the Mrs 18 plate 180, they're Becker and a cassette affair, with a mini USB port. I suspect there'll be no free updates without subscription!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts