Mercedes A-Class Forum banner

Garmin Map Pilot - OS update enabled fresh map update

20K views 21 replies 12 participants last post by  urgiv 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi,

I've just bumped into an interesting quirk which I thought I should share.

I just updated the Garmin Map Pilot OS software on my SD card using the procedure documented by MB in the link below - the car came with a v6 map and had the older style OS/user interface. I used the MB download manager to update the OS and as expected it didn't offer a map update as the car had been registered against the card for more than 60 days (Fresh Map update feature).

When I put the SD-Card back in the car, what interested me was the car treated the SD-Card as a brand new card, and gave me a message that this card is now tied to car and can't be used in any other car. That made me wonder if the new OS had reset the card's first used date, unlocking Fresh Map, so I put the card back in the PC and run MBs download manager again, and low and behold it's allowing me to download and update to map V12!

I don't know if this is intended or just a quirk, but I thought others could benefit from this.

Garmin map pilot update install guide

M.

See less See more
#8 ·
Same happened to me; had 2017/2018 V9.0 SD Card.

put it in PC, had an update, but only updated software to version 12.0; maps are still V9.0 2017/2018

:sad:

#7 ·
success

Update from map 2015 (v5.0) to Map 2019 (v12) Europe 17.52GB
As stated in earlier thread updated software to version 12 sw60.33 18/22 E59.0
NO MAP CHANGE
Inserted in satnav new message new card use on this car yes
checked map still 2015 version 5
plugged back in computer run mercedes benz download manager says new map available.
Downloaded job done

#11 ·
As Veeeight says to update map you have to put it back in the computer after it has been inserted in your car and executing instructions on dash screen. This only updates software on your Garmin in first instance.
Then run mercedes benz download manager again with sd card inserted in computer. It will then prompt you new map update available.
Depending on your broadband speed 17Gb is the file size for updated maps.
@ superfast broadband bt speed (upto 80Mbs) It took about 4 hours.
Once downloaded to sd card mine failed activation first time on mercedes benz download manager app. probably time out on app. Closed app down restarted it automatically knew sd card needed activating which it did. Job done
Yeah, so I removed the SD card from my car and inserted it into my laptop; it gave me the update to software v12.0.
I then inserted the SD card back into the car and it was recognised as a brand new card, asking me to confirm that I want to tie it to this vehicle, I said yes. Everything looked the same, and then I went to the settings and then 'my maps' to check the version, it still said version 9.0 2017/2018 maps.
So I tried putting the SD card back into the laptop, but the software said my card was up to date.

Tried multiple times, but keeps telling me that it's up to date and no updates are shown. :confused:

#10 ·
update

As Veeeight says to update map you have to put it back in the computer after it has been inserted in your car and executing instructions on dash screen. This only updates software on your Garmin in first instance.
Then run mercedes benz download manager again with sd card inserted in computer. It will then prompt you new map update available.
Depending on your broadband speed 17Gb is the file size for updated maps.
@ superfast broadband bt speed (upto 80Mbs) It took about 4 hours.
Once downloaded to sd card mine failed activation first time on mercedes benz download manager app. probably time out on app. Closed app down restarted it automatically knew sd card needed activating which it did. Job done

#16 ·
Just did what the original post said and it worked... updated software but no map updates available, put in car - tied to car and put back into computer, new 2019 map downloaded and installed! ? from 2016-19 and took 6hrs. Thanks for the heads up (I didn’t even know the satnav could be updated by the consumer) another point to mention is that the Mercedes downloader is only supported by windows with no Mac version available

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.