Mercedes A-Class Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I still need to install my dashcam since getting the car. In my previous 1 series there was a handy 12v outlet under the glove box but it doesn't seem the A Class as the same accessibility so just wondering where the best place would be to pick up a feed and make a piggy back connection.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ideally it needs to be something that can be accessed under the glove box. I've ran the cable from the dash cam to this area now. Guess I can take the panels off and have a look at what's there.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Fuse ox is under the passenger front footwell carpet. Plenty of choices for a feed either ignition live (like ciggie lighter socket) or permanent. Don’t use anything that could pose a safety risk if the cam took the power out like lights or safety feature for obvious reasons.

You can run power up the side of the glovebox behind the door rubber seals, up the a pillar and under the roof lining to where ever you put the cam like by the rear view mirror. I have mine like that on ignition feed from the fuse in the fuse box for the glovebox light as it’s only a 5amp fuse so no risk of overloads etc.

Simple 15 minute job as there are also many earth points by the fuse box.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Beware of the airbag in the a pillar. If you want to be safe, pull out the airbag tab on the interior panel to temp disposable the bag going off or, do what I did and just tuck just inside the pillar panel behind the rubber all the way to top.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for that.

I've fitted the dash cam and ran the cable into the cover top of the windscreen which has the front facing camera for the advance nav, behind all the panels and trim down through to the centre console area for now as it's got a cigarette connection on the end. Managed to do a pretty good job with the cable, its all hidden and neatly done.

Now I know where the fuse box is I can look to do a more permanent job.

I've also got a Road Angle Pure on the driver side which again I have ran to the centre console. Might have to get a longer cable so I can terminate in the same place as the dash cam

·
Registered
304 Posts
If you use the glovebox light fuse, its on the other row to the fuse used in Tim's excellent video so the piggy back fuse goes into the box and you can close the cover :wink:

The A class is probably one of the easiest hard wires I have seen. I also have an SLC and, have not yet done that as, I need to get out into the engine bay for the fuse box through the front bulkhead. That is also after having to take apart the interior around the screen. Life's harder for dashcams when the roof lining can be put in the boot when the sun comes out LOL.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I might even do that myself! Glovebox Light is active with ignition and without the need to open it I take it?

·
Registered
304 Posts
Yep Tim and only 5amp so a matching amp for the cameras. It is only live on ignition and, if anything went wrong, you only lose the glovebox light which is as unimportant as you can get in a car.

I don’t leave mine up for the shock sensor overnight (so I don’t lose a window lol) but that fuse is not suitable if you need a permanent live solution.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I have a BlackVue DR490L in my W176 A200, which it appears is a pretty similar installation to the W177, right down to the fuse panel location in the passenger foot well.

I used piggy back fuse connectors, but also installed in-line fuse holders in both positive lines (permanent and ignition) with 1 amp cartridge fuses in, which is all the DR490L needs.

That way the camera isn't relying on the car fuses for protection and won't interfere with existing circuits by blowing their fuses.

I don't know about the W177 yet, but I found out some time after my install that the W176 has suitable empty permanent and ignition fuse slots, as posted in the technical forum.

https://www.aclassclub.co.uk/forum/19-technical/10451-thinkware-f770-install-dash-cam.html

Edit ... forgot to ask, but does the W177 have the handy-dandy fuse map tucked in the lid of the fuse panel like the W176?

·
Registered
191 Posts
I am in the middle of installing my dashcam but I cannot find a switched fuse. May be a silly question but does the system stay live for a while after the inginition is switched off or a door is open?

I had it in the fuse for the overhead control panel but it seemed to stay live.

·
Registered
17 Posts
been fitting a hard wire kit to my A200 this mourning the fuse box is under the passenger footwell carpet but is nothing like the one one the 176 you will see four T20 torx screws oh and you have to take the inner step trim off remove the fuse box lid in the center of the fuses you will see a grey relay below that there is a red fuse and a clear one the clear one is the only one i could find that is switched there is no sheet of paper or diagram to tell which fuse does what had to put it all back together as had to order a piggy back fuse holder from amazon as local halfords store were out of stock will let you know how i get on on monday

·
Registered
191 Posts
been fitting a hard wire kit to my A200 this mourning the fuse box is under the passenger footwell carpet but is nothing like the one one the 176 you will see four T20 torx screws oh and you have to take the inner step trim off remove the fuse box lid in the center of the fuses you will see a grey relay below that there is a red fuse and a clear one the clear one is the only one i could find that is switched there is no sheet of paper or diagram to tell which fuse does what had to put it all back together as had to order a piggy back fuse holder from amazon as local halfords store were out of stock will let you know how i get on on monday
The fuse plan is in the fuse box in the engine compartment. It's tucked away at the back of the box and is a folded piece of paper. I couldn't get the piggy back to fit in the fuse I found, so had to just stick the wire in the fuse holder and then place the fuse in. Not what I wanted to do but it seems to be working OK.

Once I found a fuse it was only a 15 minute job!

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
You guys know that dash cam footage works both ways.

Can't be any real A45 owners with a dash cam???

·
Registered
304 Posts

LOL, I would agree that I would cherry pick the information my one records and, the mount for mine is hardwired but, the camera has a magnetic connector so on spirited drives unless I want video for me, it stays off the mount :devil:

The reason I fitted one was some **** whilst at the lights put his car in reverse and came back at me in error as the light went green. Luckily, I always leave an escape route in front of me and, was the last car so I got out his way. Put the camera in the following week as in that instance, it would work.

I would add, there is no way I would use the Aviva app if insured through them. Can only have nightmares thinking about the info their customers provide them with :surprise:

·
Registered
409 Posts

That's the beauty of dashcams, they are likely to help catch pests, but far less likely to protect them ... ;)

Maybe real A45 owners could figure out how to use one to their advantage. Or at least post better winkie waving top speed videos as GoPro's don't tend to have overlaid GPS data or night vision.

When hardwired a good dashcam will also record anything that triggers it when the car is unattended, including the kind soul who ended up paying for my front wheel arch to be refinished after scraping it in the supermarket car park. Investment repaid in one event.

Then again, perhaps reading instructions isn't the manly kind of thing a top trump driver would do. The DR490L has an on/off switch, and can be set to record in one minute slices, tricky to master those kind of things. :p

·
Registered
409 Posts
The fuse plan is in the fuse box in the engine compartment. It's tucked away at the back of the box and is a folded piece of paper. I couldn't get the piggy back to fit in the fuse I found, so had to just stick the wire in the fuse holder and then place the fuse in. Not what I wanted to do but it seems to be working OK.

Once I found a fuse it was only a 15 minute job!
Good spot Scotty, filed that fuse plan location for reference!

1 - 20 of 71 Posts