Mercedes A-Class Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
Kevybabes has it and I'm envious!

You can only add it if you also have either COMAND or the 6 disc CD changer (very 1990's!)

·
Registered
192 Posts
I have it and its great, the logic 3d effect is really great on some tracks, still think its stupid you get a cd changer and I never use cds anymore!
Also I was told it was surround sound and when it arrived it wasn't (you have to have command which was a waste of money for me) so got a refund so I'm more than happy with it seeing as it was free!!

·
Registered
377 Posts
JBraddick said:
I have it and its great, the logic 3d effect is really great on some tracks, still think its stupid you get a cd changer and I never use cds anymore!
Also I was told it was surround sound and when it arrived it wasn't (you have to have command which was a waste of money for me) so got a refund so I'm more than happy with it seeing as it was free!!

Hi there, don't understand the part around the HK only surround sound with the command system? Can you explain... not sure what difference it would make? Mine sounds fab with the 3d option but for it to be 5.1 you have to play stuff recorded in 5.1... this would usually only mean from a CD

·
Registered
192 Posts
In the brochure it states that harman system gives you surround sound by adding the media/6cd OR command
The dealer wasn't sure so I emailed mercedes Europe who said that yes it would give surround sound with our command as the hk cones with a DVD drive which you would need to have for the 5.1
When it arrived it wasn't so they refunded the hk and the media

Hope this helps

·
Registered
377 Posts
Hi again, just checked the HK site.. well done for getting a refund :) 5.1 is available via audio CD for the audio 20 if recorded with DTS 5.1...

Harman Kardon<sup>®</sup>high-performance DSP amplifier with Logic 7<sup>®</sup>surround audio processing and 450-watt total output at 9 channels<h5 style="font-size: 14px; font-weight: 700; margin-top: 16px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 2px; margin-left: 26px; ">Media and Formats</h5>DVD-Audio (MLP, MLP 5.1, Dolby® Digital 5.1)*
DVD-Video (DTS® 5.1, Dolby Digital 5.1, Linear PCM)**
Audio CD (DTS 5.1*, Linear PCM)
MP3 on CD (at least 128kbps)
* In conjunction with the Audio 50 & COMAND systems
** In conjunction with the COMAND system only</span>

·
Registered
192 Posts
That's what I thought but you can only get 5.1 from dvd which I was told I had but turned out I didnt!
Will message you later kevybabes

·
Registered
192 Posts
Can't find any though apart some weird Indian songs! Not sure if they would work as there is no surround sound processor, as when you switch n a car with the surround sound you get the Dolby, dts, 5.1, advanced resolution etc logos, all you get without command is compact disc and mp3

·
Registered
377 Posts
really... I'll have to try... will def. ask for money back if not working

There are quite a few available on Amazon

·
Registered
192 Posts
No def doesn't work, I bought one on amazon for £35 and was gutted when it didn't work,
I got £1080 back which is harman and media interface (which I would have had anyway but argued that I only had it to have the harman!)
And then pushed further and got £250 credit which I can spend on anything from parts to accessories but in saving to pay for my first service!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Whats the outcome of all this then guys? I'll order it then ask for a refund if Mercedes are honouring refunds.

Is it they say 5.1 surround sound yet it doesnt play surround unless its a DVD, correct?

·
Registered
377 Posts
Hi Mattyl,

This is taken from the MB link regarding the HK. I've had contradictory messages from Mercedes customer services so far... so no refund as yet - It does sound bloody good though!

Below is taken from the HK website; I am under the impression that the audio 20 and 50 are similar . I underlined the formats I expected to work with my system... Jury still out!</span></span>http://mercedes.harmankardon.com/en/vehicles/a-class/technical.aspx</span></span>The basis for the high-fidelity, three-dimensional spatial sound is the innovative discrete Logic 7® technology that uses its high-performance sound processors to optimize the sound precisely for every seating position. It releases the full sound potential of stereo and5.1 surround sound recordings,and even of heavily compressed audio files from smartphones and MP3 players.</span></span><h5 style="margin-right: 0cm; margin-left: 0cm; font-size: 10pt; font-family: 'Times New Roman', serif; font-weight: bold; line-height: normal; ">Media and Formats</span></h5>DVD-Audio (MLP, MLP 5.1, Dolby® Digital 5.1)*
DVD-Video (DTS® 5.1, Dolby Digital 5.1, Linear PCM)**
Audio CD (DTS 5.1*, Linear PCM)
MP3 on CD (at least 128kbps</span>

* In conjunction with the Audio 50 & COMAND systems
** In conjunction with the COMAND system only</span>
</span>

·
Registered
377 Posts
no .. the logic 7 when switched on adds a kind of spacial sound to any audio format incuding an ipod connected.. what the above states is that for true 5.1 you need the compatible format i.e. DTS 5.1 which is normally found on super audio CD format SACD.. only MB say these won't work - hence Jon getting a refund although I'm still waiting

confusing I know.. this is what the 1st MB tech guy replied

Good morning Shabana (my dealer),

You contacted my colleague David regarding a CD / disc reading concern.
I have looked into this concern and I have also discussed the customer concern with our GSP (global service and parts) colleague in Germany.

It is not possible to play SACDs and Audio-DVDs with Audio 20 operating units, because they only have a CD-drive and you would need a DVD-drive.
Audio-DVDs are only able to be played by COMAND operating units.

With COMAND it is still only possible to play a small number of purchased SACDs, because many of them have two layers.
Self-recorded SACDs are not supported.
In the main it is only possible to purchase the SACD with two layers. One layer contains the tracks in normal CD audio quality, the second layer contains the real SACD data. Our drives can only play back the CD-audio layer of this dual Layer.

Super Audio CD(SACD) is aread-onlyoptical discforaudio storage, introduced in 1999. It was developed jointly bySonyandPhilips Electronics, and intended to be the successor to theirCompact Discformat. While the SACD format can offer more channels (e.g.surround sound), and a longer playing time than CD, research published in 2007 found no significant difference in audio quality between SACD and standard CD.</span>Having made little impact in the consumer audio market, by 2007 SACD was deemed to be a failure by the press. In the 2010s, a small market for SACD remains, serving theaudiophilecommunity.</span>Lots of information can be found on the Internet regarding SACD, however I can see no reason why the Audio units on the vehicle should be changed for this specific customer concern.

I hope this information helps with your customer enquiry?.. & it didn't!</span>

·
Registered
192 Posts
Audio 20 plays sacd and gives a better sound but 5.1 needs a DVD audio which you only get a DVD drive with command, I ordered last may and took delivery in jan, I think I only got a refund as I refused to take the car without any comp or solution!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts