Mercedes A-Class Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
Am yet to order my A Class but hoping to do so this week - on here for some advice and of course a good mooch at your gorgeous cars! First time buying new car for me so anyone with advice on how to get best deal from MB is my new best mate!

Hope you are all enjoin the sunshine

A

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi I am also from Brum (the blue side
) and will be taking delivery of my diesel A180se mid June.<div name="popUpDiv" id="popUpDiv" ismouseover="false" ="popUpDivOff" =":.Name='popUpDivOff';" =":.Name='popUpDivOn';" style="display: none;">
<div name="popupMenu" id="popupMenu" style="display:none" ="popupMenu">
<div id="div1">

<div id="div2">

<div id="div3">

<div id="div4">

<div name="popupMenuVideo" id="popupMenuVideo" style="display:none" ="popupMenuVideo">
<div id="div1">

<div id="div2">

<div id="div3">

<div id="div4">

Mine will be mainly used as my company transport to get me from Brum to Nottingham, where my office/factory is located. Im going from a Passatt cc (which is the motor i have ever had) so i hope that the A class can convince me that i have made the right decision. I think the mpg will probably do that, eventually.

·
Registered
10 Posts
hey April08,
I got a really good deal from the garage by showing them the quote I got from BMW on a 1 Series that I was quite tempted by. The dealer didn't want to lose the business to BMW.

Also, I bought the Becker Maps from a guy on eBay, for around £200, rather than the £500 wanted by the dealer. If you need a contact email address for the guy I got the Becker system from, please let me know.

Mercedes were telling me that this was a premium product and thatthey were not needing to discount the car, but they did match the trade-in that BMW were offering me (which was much higher than they were). This did involve having to walk away from the garage and then get a call 30 mins later asking what they had to do to win my business.

Best of luck in your negotiations - it'll all be worth it when you pick your new car up!

Al.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Hi April08 and welcome from a fellow brummy (from the premier side Albi
)

You will find it hard to get a good deal given the short supply and long lead times. Your only real option is to try your best, go to at least a couple of dealers that are not in the same chain or group and also make sure you get a good trade in price. Mine varied by £4k between three dealers!!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi,

I'm also based in Brum (but Irish). I'm hoping to pick mine up next week fter a 2 1/2 month wait. I'd agree with mon2s regarding the trade in as I was quite surprised at the variation in proces (not quite 4k but there was almost 30% difference).

Peter

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi all - sorry just realised that I hadn't said a hello back to you just posted and forgot I had said hello!
I am trying to sell my current car privately because the trade in prices are so rubbish - it has really bad Glass value because it is one of those cars that nobody really knows how it will sell at auction - so I don't have much haggle power regarding trade in!

Albi - not long to go now! I am sure it will convince you!

Mon2s - 4k - that's MASSIVE! you say a couple of dealers that are not in the same chain or group - immediately near me there are Merc garages both of which I have visited. They both knew that I had been to the other. I am well up for going elsewhere to at least TRY to play them off against eachother (all part of the fun isn't it?!) but I am not sure where else I would go to buy a Merc? Surely I need to go to Merc to get a Merc.... Any suggestions? How/where did you go about it?

MsGuks - has your baby arrived yet? Did you get yours from main dealership too - did you go to just one or multiple? Did you get anything chucked in free/cheaper at all?

Allywd - good idea re: BMW quote. What did you compare - 1 series? Thanks for tip re: ebay guy - I may well come back to you on that one

So far the local garages here just having none of it - best they can do is chuck in some gap insurance/discount minor damage but not a penny off the car or any extras. I am still determined to try and get a free pano roof though LOL well...you gotta try right?

Cheers

A-08 (Villain!;))

·
Registered
78 Posts
I'm ordering mine from solihull i dunno about a free pan roof mercedes couldnt guarantee me one even if i was paying apparently there is a restriction code on them, let me know what you guys have managed to haggle though Edited by: Mattyl

·
Registered
26 Posts
I went to Central Birmingham. I'm rubbish at haggling though so not the best person to ask! Picked her up Wednesday just gone and loving it
. Driven 400+ miles so far (which for me is huge considering I averaged 5100 per year in the last car) but probably 250 of that has been for work. Let us know how you get on with the pano roof.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Hi McGuks, I've slready done over 1000 miles in six weeks, when I normally only averaged 3500 per year! I think I LOVE my car snd want to drive it all the time!
Edited by: Lynne

·
Registered
629 Posts
April08 said:
you say a couple of dealers that are not in the same chain or group - immediately near me there are Merc garages both of which I have visited. They both knew that I had been to the other.
What you need to do is look at who owns and runs the Merc outlet you are visiting. They all look the same as they are all authorised MB franchises but different companies operate them. i.e. MB Solihull, Birmingham and Tamworth are all operated by Mercedes Benz UK. But then Coventry is operated by Inchcape Group, Stourbridge by Drayton Group, Bedford by Sytners and so on. Choose a dealers and the google it to see who runs it. The chains are in competition with each other believe me!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Mon2s nice work thanks mate will try that! That explains it.
I know I am probably pushing it with the pano roof, its like getting blood out of a stone with these guys at the moment but its all good fun trying.

Interested to know what you all got chucked in - if anything!? Come on spill the beans :)

Lynne your enthusiasm is infectious. I swear MB should give you a job, I want this car from reading your posts alone! ;)

·
Registered
78 Posts
Engineered by amg a250 and around £1070 i believe but i'm still not satisfied negotiations continue next week, i'll post results.Edited by: Mattyl

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Good on you. I know they are being tight at the mo, with reason, but it doesn't stop us trying.I think you will have more haggle power considering you are buying the more expensive car.
I'll let you know how I get on too.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Thanks April08! After my 18 year old Corsa I cannot stop enjoying my beautiful new Engbyamg!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts