Mercedes A-Class Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Since December last year the front dashboard unit has been faulty, the driver side display would go black when driving and the media display would randomly restart/load,brakes have been squeaky and a rattle developed since October.

So I booked into the dealership were I got the car from and mentioned the faults, was told The dashboard needed a software update and they would fix the rattle and squeaky breaks.

fast forward today on the motorway the dashboard went black and the breaks are still squealing?!

What can I do going forward as it seems the software update hasn't fixed the dashboard issues which is very dangerous when driving on the motorway on a daily basis.

ontop of all this the customer service at the dealership was very poor promised a courtesy car which I never got, left the car on Tuesday ( was told I would get it back the same week Thursday ) instead got it a week later.I have the Mercedes me app which notifys me if the car has been opened etc seems like they fixed all apparent issues in 1 day and my car was in the garage collecting dust for a whole week !!

any advice would be appreciated!!

·
Registered
489 Posts
Sounds like they need something of a kick up the arse. Which you're entirely entitled and encouraged to give them. Remember they're not doing you a favour, first class service is no less than you have paid for.

Another option if the screen blanks out on you again, or your squealing brakes "become a safety concern", is to press the 'Me' button in the cockpit roof and get your car sorted via Roadside Assist. Then you can insist they take your car in and fix the fault, whilst you can be provided with a car until you get yours back. The dealer will find it harder to drag their heels with MB customer assistance centre and Mercedes-AMG chasing them to finish the job.

I had my car taken away on a flatbed truck to the dealer and an A-Class rental car on the drive, when my left rear tyre picked up a nail and lost pressure on bank holiday weekend on a Friday evening. Mercedes-AMG called me the next working day to follow up and offer assistance with progressing my car if required. That evening I collected my car with the tyre repaired from the dealer after work and left the rental car with them for return.

·
Registered
373 Posts
All that sounds terrible. The brake squeal however is a common trait of performance cars, well to a point.

·
Registered
2020 A35 AMG
20 Posts
Squeaky brakes are common in most performance cars. It's just how it is. You could try changing brake pad compound but you'll lose braking efficiency. My Toyota GT86 squealed like an old school bus, but I didn't want to lose braking performance so I just got on with it.

Rattles, again are a common trait in performance cars. A stiff suspension leads to a harsh ride, which over time will cause things to come lose. I've had my A35 for 2 weeks, it's booked in next week for the rattles to be fixed. I'm really not impressed with the build quality but again, harsh ride is gonna cause rattles.

I personally don't think they're any reason to do something as drastic as to return the car though. I'm sure the software issues will get fixed eventually. Maybe even try a different dealership.

·
Registered
834 Posts
That video caused a big debate on a Porsche forum not so long ago. I seem to remember that most felt whilst it explained some of the reasons for squeal, it was a preemptive and cynical attempt by Porsche USA to get out of fixing customers cars when they complain.

Not all performance cars suffer from brake squeal. It seems the way the pads and discs wear can cause conditions for the resonance mentioned in the video to occur. So if your pads have a certain level/type of glaze on them, then yes your brakes might squeal. My A35 was fine for the first 1,500 miles or so, then after that I noticed my brakes squealing a handful of times just as my car was coming to a stop. Based on the recommendations from the Porsche forum (I think it was Pistonheads but can’t find it now) I went for a hard drive down some country lanes for a couple of hours where there was lots of hard braking and heat going through my brakes. Since then I’ve not have any squealing, although I do find the A35’s brakes a bit grabby just before the car comes to a complete stop in slow traffic.

·
Registered
834 Posts
@BWizzkid123 I have a feeling good your dealer is fobbing you off by saying your dash screens going blank is a software problem. It might be a corruption type issue, but if they have reloaded the software once already, then it’s unlikely to be purely software. I suspect you may have a hardware issue which is causing the software issue in the first place. Whilst I recall others having a similar issue to your car, it’s not common place and not all cars do this. If there was an inherent bug then all cars would suffer and I can tell you for sure my car doesn’t.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sounds like they need something of a kick up the arse. Which you're entirely entitled and encouraged to give them. Remember they're not doing you a favour, first class service is no less than you have paid for.

Another option if the screen blanks out on you again, or your squealing brakes "become a safety concern", is to press the 'Me' button in the cockpit roof and get your car sorted via Roadside Assist. Then you can insist they take your car in and fix the fault, whilst you can be provided with a car until you get yours back. The dealer will find it harder to drag their heels with MB customer assistance centre and Mercedes-AMG chasing them to finish the job.

I had my car taken away on a flatbed truck to the dealer and an A-Class rental car on the drive, when my left rear tyre picked up a nail and lost pressure on bank holiday weekend on a Friday evening. Mercedes-AMG called me the next working day to follow up and offer assistance with progressing my car if required. That evening I collected my car with the tyre repaired from the dealer after work and left the rental car with them for return.
I previously had a Golf R and received exceptional customer service & care from them when things went pear shaped with the car, it seems like you have a good dealer as my local dealer didn't want to touch the car when I 1st had problems with it fobbed me off by saying take it back to who you got it from, alternatively I could pay them to look at it!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
@BWizzkid123 I have a feeling good your dealer is fobbing you off by saying your dash screens going blank is a software problem. It might be a corruption type issue, but if they have reloaded the software once already, then it’s unlikely to be purely software. I suspect you may have a hardware issue which is causing the software issue in the first place. Whilst I recall others having a similar issue to your car, it’s not common place and not all cars do this. If there was an inherent bug then all cars would suffer and I can tell you for sure my car doesn’t.
i think my next move would be is to contact the person who I got the car from and mention all the above to them ,they could replace the whole media /dash unit but I don't have the time to start chasing them around, if they won't replace the media/dash unit , I wouldn't know what to do then but I'm sure I have consumer rights but don't know if this would fall under the catogary😒

·
Registered
154 Posts
A little bit dishonest but under the circumstances ... how about pressing the Me button and telling them the screen blacked out causing you to have a near death experience because of it. You need to make someone sit up and pay attention and if they’ll fix a tyre then getting your screen sorted should be a breeze.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Squeaky brakes are common in most performance cars. It's just how it is. You could try changing brake pad compound but you'll lose braking efficiency. My Toyota GT86 squealed like an old school bus, but I didn't want to lose braking performance so I just got on with it.

Rattles, again are a common trait in performance cars. A stiff suspension leads to a harsh ride, which over time will cause things to come lose. I've had my A35 for 2 weeks, it's booked in next week for the rattles to be fixed. I'm really not impressed with the build quality but again, harsh ride is gonna cause rattles.

I personally don't think they're any reason to do something as drastic as to return the car though. I'm sure the software issues will get fixed eventually. Maybe even try a different dealership.
my local dealership didn't want to touch it the only way they would look at the car is if I paid them too as they wouldn't do it under warranty because the car was purchased from from another dealer. it has already had a "software update" but seems like that hasn't fixed anything, I wouldn't want to do anything drastic either but when It comes to hand the car back in 30 months I will be held accountable for the damages & faults by Mercedes.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
A little bit dishonest but under the circumstances ... how about pressing the Me button and telling them the screen blacked out causing you to have a near death experience because of it. You need to make someone sit up and pay attention and if they’ll fix a tyre then getting your screen sorted should be a breeze.

I would reckon the most they would probably do is send someone out he will look at it (say he can't fix it ) then drop it to the dealer which would be bit pointless as it will probs just be there on the forecourt for a week or two before being looked at

·
Registered
186 Posts
my local dealership didn't want to touch it the only way they would look at the car is if I paid them too as they wouldn't do it under warranty because the car was purchased from from another dealer. it has already had a "software update" but seems like that hasn't fixed anything, I wouldn't want to do anything drastic either but when It comes to hand the car back in 30 months I will be held accountable for the damages & faults by Mercedes.
Wow that’s awful, Iv brought an A class arriving Friday from a London dealership. But my local dealer is Birmingham Central, I thought all dealers had to fix the car regardless of where it was purchased, but if that’s not that case i’m screwed if something happens to mind.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I bought my car from Hull but live in Birmingham and I use my local dealer all the time.. sounds like the dealership are screwing you over if they are telling you to take it back to where you bought it from:confused:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi BWiz, I noticed the same noise from my brakes from new and it didn’t disappear after a few thousand miles. I’ve had plenty of performance cars in the past and never a noise like that. It also seemed worse in the rain.

I contacted my local dealership in Peterborough, asked to speak to a mechanic. They recognised it straight away and had already fixed the fault on several A35’s. Apparently the old A45 brakes were used on the new A35 and they did not fit correctly from the factory so need changing.

It might help that I was in the car at the time and they could hear the noise over the phone!

They were replaced mine the following week and after a poor bedding in period the noise has gone, performance is a little better as well. They did not need to “inspect” the car first, they just kept the car for the day and it was sorted out.

Dealer contact details here (put www in front of the text below - stupid web site blocking me!), maybe they can give you a recall number or part number for to use with your local branch:
mercedes-benzofpeterborough.co.uk/en/desktop/about-us/contact.html

For anyone else wondering what this sounds like it can be heard in this clip here:
youtu.be/QWyPZHWGsPY?t=635

All the best, Matt.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi BWiz, I noticed the same noise from my brakes from new and it didn’t disappear after a few thousand miles. I’ve had plenty of performance cars in the past and never a noise like that. It also seemed worse in the rain.

I contacted my local dealership in Peterborough, asked to speak to a mechanic. They recognised it straight away and had already fixed the fault on several A35’s. Apparently the old A45 brakes were used on the new A35 and they did not fit correctly from the factory so need changing.

It might help that I was in the car at the time and they could hear the noise over the phone!

They were replaced mine the following week and after a poor bedding in period the noise has gone, performance is a little better as well. They did not need to “inspect” the car first, they just kept the car for the day and it was sorted out.

Dealer contact details here (put www in front of the text below - stupid web site blocking me!), maybe they can give you a recall number or part number for to use with your local branch:
mercedes-benzofpeterborough.co.uk/en/desktop/about-us/contact.html

For anyone else wondering what this sounds like it can be heard in this clip here:
youtu.be/QWyPZHWGsPY?t=635

All the best, Matt.

Hi Matt,

Thanks for the info its all been fixed now they have replaced brakes and have fixed the issue with the screens not being synced correctly :) don't think I would be purchasing a Mercedes again horrible customer service in my opinion and a complete headache with car. I can't deny the fact that they probably have the best interiors in the car game at the moment it was probably 1 of the reasons I got this instead of a S3.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I bought my car from Hull but live in Birmingham and I use my local dealer all the time.. sounds like the dealership are screwing you over if they are telling you to take it back to where you bought it from:confused:

I think they can't be bothered with the hassle involved so just fobbed me off by mentioning this its all be fixed now, lets just hope I don't run into any other issues with the car

1 - 18 of 18 Posts