Mercedes A-Class Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
A45S, BMW X7 M50i
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Brand new 2021 A45S.

High beam assist works great on a lonely dark road near my house with a climb and lots of switch backs (yes I know I’m lucky), until certain specific point where it sees a barrier with yellow reflective arrows on one of those switch backs.

After that the beam is dipped to low and the high beam never comes on again throughout the drive, which is an absolute pain because the road is completely unlit, in a super dark forest area, with no oncoming traffic and plenty of need for high beam post that point.

Is this a bug? Has anyone else experienced something like this?

The only way to get it working again is to pull over and cold start the car as I can’t figure out anyway to put high beam on manually, besides manually holding down the “flasher” which is pretty lame.

Any help or tips appreciated. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
4,528 Posts
Have you got "High Beam Assist", or the full blown Multibeam Intelligent Light System?

Either way, it sounds like you have a fault if it's not reactivating "full beam" again. Make sure the cameras are clean.

There was a recall in the early days.

See

·
Registered
A45S, BMW X7 M50i
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Have you got "High Beam Assist", or the full blown Multibeam Intelligent Light System?

Either way, it sounds like you have a fault if it's not reactivating "full beam" again. Make sure the cameras are clean.

There was a recall in the early days.
Thanks. I have Multibeam. It really feels like a software bug.

It always happens at the same spot which is a barrier on a switchback corner (directly ahead as you are driving) with a series of yellow and black reflective arrow signs.

I feel like the camera is seeing the light of the high beam bounced back to the car from the signs and then dips the beam.

Which is fine, but it never comes back on, even if I toggle the auto mode on and off. Only a cold start fixes it.

Ill talk to the dealer.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello Everyone

I’m confused by how to activate the active high beam assist plus on my 2020 A180d Premium Plus. It’s shown as active on the menu but doesn’t seem to work. Which position should the light switch be in?

I’d really appreciate it if someone could walk me through how to activate it.

many thanks in advance.

·
Registered
A200d Prem+ DAP
272 Posts
You merely need to set the light switch to auto and then it does everything itself.
It will keep the lights on the dipped setting until you reach around 25 mph and then will go to main beam as long as there isn’t any glare from traffic or lights, etc.
Personally, I never touch anything. Just leave the light switch in auto and it switches the lights on/off and handles main beam without you doing anything.
On your dash you should see the lights symbol with an ‘A’ on it.
The only thing you may want to do occasionally is to force headlights to dip by pushing the light stalk away from you, where the light symbol will now have the ‘A’ removed

·
Registered
4 Posts
You merely need to set the light switch to auto and then it does everything itself.
It will keep the lights on the dipped setting until you reach around 25 mph and then will go to main beam as long as there isn’t any glare from traffic or lights, etc.
Personally, I never touch anything. Just leave the light switch in auto and it switches the lights on/off and handles main beam without you doing anything.
On your dash you should see the lights symbol with an ‘A’ on it.
The only thing you may want to do occasionally is to force headlights to dip by pushing the light stalk away from you, where the light symbol will now have the ‘A’ removed
Thank you, I really appreciate your help. I’ve been using the wrong position for the light switch!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts