Mercedes A-Class Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
CLA 45S
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been having an issue recently where my Highbeam Assist stops working. I believe the cause is the cameras fogging up as can been seen below. If demist the windscreen the Highbeam Assist is restored.

Black White Black-and-white Automotive exterior Photography

Technology Electronic device Auto part Vehicle

I have had my windscreen replaced due to it being cracked during a stone chip repair. I'm wondering if it has not been sealed correctly.

My question is, am I the only one having this issue? Do the cameras fog up on the stock windscreens?

·
Administrator
4,828 Posts
As we go into autumn and winter, fogging or condensation may become more prevalent.

Are you running the climate control in full Auto with A/C on at all times?

·
Registered
CLA 45S
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Are you running the climate control in full Auto with A/C on at all times?
I always use the A/C but don't normally use auto. Generally use max to demist initially then control the temp and fan manually.

I wasn't sure if the cameras were supposed to sealed to prevent moisture ingress?

·
Administrator
4,828 Posts
Auto regulates humidity as well as temperature, there is a humidity sensor in the overhead module.

Perhaps next time you’re out, full dentist, then stick it on auto and see if that keeps things clear.

You can keep it in auto, still have 2 zone temperature control, and also choose fan speed (still in auto) but it will also regulate humidity.

·
Registered
CLA 45S
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Auto regulates humidity as well as temperature, there is a humidity sensor in the overhead module.
Interesting! I'll give that a try!

So to clarify, it is normal for the cameras to fog up along with the windscreen?

·
Administrator
4,828 Posts
You’ll need a much longer drive, I would go 30 mins, temp as hot as you can stand, airflow directed at the screen, max fans and A/C on to clear out the condensation.

Thereafter subsequent journeys on Auto and A/C.

·
Registered
CLA 45S
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You’ll need a much longer drive, I would go 30 mins, temp as hot as you can stand, airflow directed at the screen, max fans and A/C on to clear out the condensation.

Thereafter subsequent journeys on Auto and A/C.
I'll give this a try next time I'm out in the car.

In the meantime, if anyone can comment if their cameras fog up that be great!

·
Administrator
4,828 Posts
Previous threads:

·
Registered
CLA 45S
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Had a good read of those links but their problems seem to be slightly different to mine. Although the latter has the same consequence.

Some additional info, the camera does have a built in heater which should clear any fog obstructing it's view within 12 minutes. So regardless of whether my camera should be misting up, it should clear itself within that time. I'll monitor next time and see if its able too without me using the normal windscreen demister.

From owners manual:

Display messages and warning/indicator lamps

Adaptive Highbeam Assist Plus currently unavailable See Owner’s Manual
Cause:
The system limits have been reached
Solution:
Drive on. Once the cause of the problem is no longer present, the system will be available again. The Adaptive Highbeam Assist Plus available again display message appears.

Currently unavailable Camera view restricted
Cause:
- dirt on the windscreen in the cameras field of vision
- heavy rain, snow or fog
- mist of the windscreen in front of the camera
* Mist detected on the windscreen is automatically removed using a built in heater within approximately 12 minutes.
Solution:
Clean the windscreen if necessary.

·
Administrator
4,828 Posts
Now that we are in autumn/winter humid air, I've experienced the High Beam Assist unavailable message on shorter trips (<20 mins).

I press the max demist button, and that usually sorts it out within 5 mins.

·
Registered
A180 AMG Line Premium Plus Auto with Distronic (the one bit I wanted!)
166 Posts
I have noticed on a couple of cold morning starts I have received a message telling me that the camera is disabled and therefore associated services are not working either. I have defrosted/de-iced the screen so it isn't frost obscuring the view. It all returns ok after a couple of miles. I recall
the camera view showing the directions at roundabouts was still working. I wondered whether this was condensation freezing on the inside of the screen over the camera area.

(Apologies - hadn't found this thread previously, so Ill add a bit more now it is here)

I have had similar issues with the lights too. This really isn't good enough - why isn't the camera module sealed? To suggest driving with the heating on "as high as you can bear" isn't an acceptable solution in 2020!

·
Administrator
4,828 Posts
I'm not driving with max heating on all journey!
What I meant to say is that I have max demist on, and within 5 mins all functions return so I go back to Auto - thereafter I don't have any problems for the rest of the journey.

If the camera module were sealed, this would cause you more problems down the road, imagine having to have your windscreen replaced (cracks, chips etc.) - the Autoglass person couldn't do it unless new cameras came attached and sealed from Pilkington etc.

And as most windscreens supplied by Autoglass etc. are cheap aftermarket screens, I'm definitely not accepting cheap aftermarket cameras!

The cameras do have heating elements etc. (see above posts)

@Glassman - have you experienced any reports about windscreen cameras fogging/misting?

·
Registered
CLA 45S
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I never did get this problem solved long term. I regularly find that the cameras have misted up despite the rest of windscreen being totally clear.

You can see this demonstrated in the clip below. (download it for full quality)

The car was reporting the temp as 9oC at the time.

It's currently in at Mercedes for diagnostics. I will update when I have more information.

·
Registered
CLA 45S
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Mercedes found that the headlight motors which allow the lights to better illuminate bends have been overheating. When this happens its disables the adaptive headlights entirely.

Apparently this behavior is somewhat common and there isn't a fix as such. They've updated the controller software to the latest version to see if that helps. I'll report back in a few weeks if it's made any difference.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Mercedes found that the headlight motors which allow the lights to better illuminate bends have been overheating. When this happens its disables the adaptive headlights entirely.

Apparently this behavior is somewhat common and there isn't a fix as such. They've updated the controller software to the latest version to see if that helps. I'll report back in a few weeks if it's made any difference.
AMG owner from China. I got the exact same issue.The Mercedes dealer could not figure out what is going. Still waiting to find out the solution.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Had a good read of those links but their problems seem to be slightly different to mine. Although the latter has the same consequence.

Some additional info, the camera does have a built in heater which should clear any fog obstructing it's view within 12 minutes. So regardless of whether my camera should be misting up, it should clear itself within that time. I'll monitor next time and see if its able too without me using the normal windscreen demister.

From owners manual:

Display messages and warning/indicator lamps

Adaptive Highbeam Assist Plus currently unavailable See Owner’s Manual
Cause:
The system limits have been reached
Solution:
Drive on. Once the cause of the problem is no longer present, the system will be available again. The Adaptive Highbeam Assist Plus available again display message appears.

Currently unavailable Camera view restricted
Cause:
- dirt on the windscreen in the cameras field of vision
- heavy rain, snow or fog
- mist of the windscreen in front of the camera
* Mist detected on the windscreen is automatically removed using a built in heater within approximately 12 minutes.
Solution:
Clean the windscreen if necessary.
I've had the same problem with a C Class estate, only in cold weather I get the "Adaptive Highbeam Assist Plus Camera View restricted" notification. My windscreen is clean so I thought it was probably due to condensation on the camera lens or on the inside of the windscreen. Seems that many people have the same problem and there is not a solution, except to drive on and wait. Unfortunately my journeys are only 5-20 minutes so this happens a lot to me in winter. It's very annoying and not acceptable.

·
Administrator
4,828 Posts
So, it was a bit damp and drizzly tonight. Got in car, drove down the road. After a few miles, up popped the message active high beam restricted.

I put on full demist on the front, and switched on the rear window heater. Within 3 mins, a new message active high beam available.

Switched the climate control back to Auto.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts