Mercedes A-Class Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
I am getting these messages since yesterday that all the advanced safety systems are limited or unavailable. On a cursory look, the only thing I could see is that the two camera under the triangles inside the windscreen seem to have some kind of condensation.

Is this normal? Should I take it to the dealer or will it correct itself? I have had the car over 1.5 years and this is the first time I am getting this message.

View attachment 8915 View attachment 8916 View attachment 8917

·
Administrator
4,822 Posts
@rdrp These posts always pop up in the autumn/winter months.

got to keep the interior of the car as dry as possible, and use full demist front and rear to clear the misting.

·
Administrator
4,822 Posts
Had a couple of occasions this fortnight when it's been very cold and humid - and it's taken much longer for the windscreen cameras to de-mist or de-fog on full demist.

Have to work very hard to keep the interior as dry as possible, otherwise this happens.

Annoying.

·
Registered
A180 AMG Line Premium Plus Auto with Distronic (the one bit I wanted!)
166 Posts
I love this time of year - it makes driving my A class so exciting because I never know what has failed to function. Usually the adaptive headlamps, or the road sign recognition system or the systems intended to stop me running into another vehicle. Any dashcam images will be useless too. I also have discovered the headlamp failure wont rectify itself until the engine is turned off and on again. Really, it isn't good enough!

·
Registered
166 Posts
What ‘headlamp failure’ are you referring to?
The fact that if the camera is obscured because of misting the fully automated self dipping very expensive headlamps won't function and drop back to bog standard self dipping (ie self meaning me) operation.

·
Registered
A200d Prem+ DAP
280 Posts
The fact that if the camera is obscured because of misting the fully automated self dipping very expensive headlamps won't function and drop back to bog standard self dipping (ie self meaning me) operation.
Apologies, I thought that you meant that the headlamps stopped working altogether.

I too get the failure message about main beam assist on these damp, cold days. However, I find that keeping the fan level a bit higher than normal resolves the issue within a few minutes, normally within a couple. I’ve never had to resort to turning the ignition off and on again; sounds like the solution that IT departments love to offer!

And as you say when the auto function isn’t working you can always do this with a flick of the stalk.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Apologies, I thought that you meant that the headlamps stopped working altogether.

I too get the failure message about main beam assist on these damp, cold days. However, I find that keeping the fan level a bit higher than normal resolves the issue within a few minutes, normally within a couple. I’ve never had to resort to turning the ignition off and on again; sounds like the solution that IT departments love to offer!

And as you say when the auto function isn’t working you can always do this with a flick of the stalk.
No, total failure would be worrying!

The bigger picture is why the cameras get condensation in the first place. I was told on here that there is a heater element within the enclosure, but if that is the case, it doesn't seem to do much. surely it isn't beyond the wit of MB to solve this issue. Not to mention the fact that "50" on overhead motorway signs is often misread as "80" and starts wild acceleration if cruise control is on!

·
Administrator
4,822 Posts
5 times out of 6 for me - putting the HVAC onto full demist will restore the full intelligent headlight functionality.
1 out of 6 - I have to resort to ignition off, then start car again before the functionality returns.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts