Mercedes A-Class Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I had a 16 plate A200d and never had an issue with using the brake Hold function when stopping at traffic lights etc. However, I recently traded that car in for a new A200d and on the new car the Hold function has started failing intermittently. It will be working one minute then then at the next set of traffic lights it stops working. Turing the engine off and on again seems to rectify the issue but it’s not ideal and it’s happening more frequently.
I plan to call the dealership tomorrow, but was wondering if anyone has had the same issue.
Thanks!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Hi,
I had a 16 plate A200d and never had an issue with using the brake Hold function when stopping at traffic lights etc. However, I recently traded that car in for a new A200d and on the new car the Hold function has started failing intermittently. It will be working one minute then then at the next set of traffic lights it stops working. Turing the engine off and on again seems to rectify the issue but it’s not ideal and it’s happening more frequently.
I plan to call the dealership tomorrow, but was wondering if anyone has had the same issue.
Thanks!
I don't have my car yet but from what I've seen on videos, do you not need to press the break pedal in a specific way to activate the hold function? Wonder if it is different from the previous model.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I've just been getting used to my A35 since I picked it up on Thursday and I haven't quite worked out how the hold function works either. I was told you just needed to depress the brake pedal firmly, and I've found that most of the time this works if your braking up to the stop was very "smooth", and then you can depress it further and it holds. If you braked just a little more aggressively then I find that I have to fully release the brake which allows the car to start to creep and then immediately depress the brake again it will hold. If anyone has a more logical explanation about how exactly it works I'd be interested to hear it.

·
Registered
436 Posts
I just checked the MB Guide app & it says the Hold function works on gradients up to 30%. That's still pretty steep but I thought I'd mention it here anyway.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I find it very hit and miss on my new A220. Both myself and MrsE have varying levels of first time success with it. It’s highly frustrating compared with the system I had in my Golf where after a couple of secs on the brake pedal at standstill it just worked. None of this light push or double pump of the pedal makarcky.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I have no issues at all with the hold function. You just come to a standstill, then give the brake pedal a little pump and done! Pump it again to take the hold off to allow the car to creep forwards or just press the accelerator and get on your way.

Works for me perfectly everytime. I prefer it to the golf as MisterE described because you can control when you want the hold to come on. When i've driven my mates golf it comes on everytime you come to a standstill if the switch is turned on, only way to turn it off it to press the switch everytime which gets frustrating....just my opinion.

Reactions: Pet0r and Ben&Sandy

·
Registered
433 Posts
I have no issues at all with the hold function. You just come to a standstill, then give the brake pedal a little pump and done! Pump it again to take the hold off to allow the car to creep forwards or just press the accelerator and get on your way.

Works for me perfectly everytime. I prefer it to the golf as MisterE described because you can control when you want the hold to come on. When i've driven my mates golf it comes on everytime you come to a standstill if the switch is turned on, only way to turn it off it to press the switch everytime which gets frustrating....just my opinion.
Thank you for the info on releasing to creep, I had not found that out.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Mercs have always been this way. Glad to see it's still on the new A class.
You can see the small white HOLD icon on the lower driver screen when its engaged...

It should stop rollback by just braking to a halt, but it only lasts about three seconds after releasing the foot-brake.
The full HOLD function needs a long firm press or as mentioned (and more elegant) a double-tap after stopping.

You can tap it off again (smoother) or just gas and go - but don't hurry it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts