Mercedes A-Class Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is the HOLD function standard on all A Classes and if so, how do you operate it?

I like the useful hill start assist, but would also be nice to take my foot off the break while stopped on an incline in traffic.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I have a A180 CDI Sport so should be the same, all you do when you come to a halt is press the brake pedal hard this will then illuminate HOLD in the central display and will hold the vehicle until you press a pedal.

·
Registered
629 Posts
My A220 has it, as did the A180SE (manual) I was leant by the dealer.

I kind of 'stab' the brake pedal about one inch further having brought the car to a halt to operate the Hold function.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yep, tried it earlier - a couple of pumps of the brake and it HOLDs. This car will just make me a lazy driver :)

·
Registered
104 Posts
I would presume that it's to stop the bad habit of "riding" the clutch on manual models, much better version IMO... had a works ford transit with a hold function but it would only last a few seconds

·
Registered
17 Posts
Has anyone else noticed that if you press HOLD and then turn the ignition off it applies the hand brake?

I have also noticed that if you press HOLD and the stop/start cuts the engine and then remove your seat belt before turning the ignition off, it starts the engine again. I guess this is to remind you not to leave your car with the engine still technically running.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi,

Yes - it restarts the engine if you open the drivers door too!
FYI, you can release the HOLD by a gentle blip on the throttle if needed, without selecting a gear or dipping the clutch.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Still getting use to the HOLD function and electric hand brake, not sure i like it!!! Think I'm worried it will roll, I like a good old fashioned hand brake in a car, thank goodness I didn't have the auto, couldn't cope with out a gear stick as well?

·
Registered
305 Posts
It won't roll, had it on my C Class also, i always use it if i'm waiting at the traffic lights.

that's the only thing i'm missing, the gear stick . It's so empty over there

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
When you get used to it Roxy, you will love it! It makes stopping at lights for example, so easy! This is my first automatic and I was very nervous but now I really value the HOLD facility. I have had my car for six weeks now. I normally average very low mileage, 3000/ 4000 per year, I have done over 1100 already! Don't know how many I will do this year!

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have an Auto & am finding it difficult to activate hold, does the slope have to be a over a certain angle?

·
Registered
66 Posts
sgh said:
I have an Auto & am finding it difficult to activate hold, does the slope have to be a over a certain angle?

You just need to develop a style to get it to work, once you have come to a stop a short sharp stab of your right foot should do the trick. Needs to be fairly quick...

I prefer the hold system on my 5 Series, you just press a button on the console and every time you come to a stop it holds the car.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Two of the A class courtesy cars from MB (14 and 64 reg) I've recently had were both autos but neither had the hold function, which I'm used to using in my A45.I should have made note of which models they were, but in answer to the question - it is not a common feature.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Am getting a bit more used to it, really have to stab the pedal but am managing to do this more often than not now, just takes practice!

·
Registered
197 Posts
it's so 2nd nature to me that when I'm driving my gf's Golf I stab the brake pedal once stopped, but the hold function comes on automatically once stationery in the Golf!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts