Mercedes A-Class Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
3,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just seeing these couple of speeds we have legally managed so far made me wonder what others have been able to do.

I usually drive over 250 KM/h on the Autobahn here in Germany, and I end up lowering the volume, because of the exhaust sounds coming through the speakers. It is unbearable so, either you drive in Comfort mode or with the active exhaust deactivated, depending on which options you have available.
I’ve hit 173mph in my car. The car is limited to 167mph so it must have been a little downhill momentum that pushed me to 173.

·
3,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Reactions: Matt Jackson

·
Registered
23 Posts
As someone alluded to in another thread, A45S owners in the UK (and probably most other countries outside of Germany!) have to be careful to harness the beast. Just after I took ownership of the car, I took my partner out for a drive. We were on our local motorway and there is a 50mph section of roadworks on there at the moment. Quite handy if you want to demonstrate acceleration as you can safely drop to sub 50mph and then put the hammer down when you see that nice black and white circular sign. I told my partner to watch the speedo, 48mph to over 90mph in what seems like the blink of an eye. I guess that's my only issue with this car; motorways are not the place to enjoy the performance of the A45S because at best, you're going to end up with points that don't make prizes. Just a tickle of the accelerator and before you know it, you're in license losing territory.

Finding the right country roads is where the enjoyment waits. Wales, The Lake District, Scotland, The Peak District, Yorkshire, etc. You can drive responsibly but quickly if you find the right roads. We have a short stretch of rural country road near us (national speed limit) and there's a section of that which is nice and straight with no concealed entrances or adjoining roads. That's a lot of fun and great for a little release, although very short lived. You can stay within the law (ish) whilst experiencing the awesome performance of the A45S and your only risk is freaking out any oncoming drivers when they see you coming towards them like a rocket!

Apologies for not strictly answering the question posed by this thread but I'm planning to do some research over the winter months and hoping for a few UK road trips in the Spring/Summer. We've cancelled our wedding in Vegas twice this year and it's rebooked for May. I'd planned a Californian/PCH road trip afterwards. However, I'm not holding out much hope that we're going to make it to the US, even then. I'm starting to think about the possibility of an alternative European road trip for our honeymoon instead. Could be a lot of fun in this car although I think the 'wife to be' is going to need a couple of cushions to sit on, she used to complain of a numb bum in the S3!

·
3,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good luck making it to the Little White Chapel in Vegas. I have my daughter's wedding in July and a road trip before that in Australia, postponed from this year, I am keeping my fingers crossed about.

Back on topic. The problem I find about A and B roads and getting up a good speed is the wildlike especially deer. You hit a full size deer at 70 and that's the end of the car and hopefully not you as well if it comes through the windscreen. Whereas on a motorway we get the occasional deer or horse roaming the four lanes of the M25 but generally it's fairly clear of wildlife but full of speed traps. I just don't know when this 25 mph over the speed limit and you lose your license came in, as foot to the metal used to be the norm.

Reactions: Zephead2112

·
Registered
23 Posts
Good luck making it to the Little White Chapel in Vegas. I have my daughter's wedding in July and a road trip before that in Australia, postponed from this year, I am keeping my fingers crossed about.

Back on topic. The problem I find about A and B roads and getting up a good speed is the wildlike especially deer. You hit a full size deer at 70 and that's the end of the car and hopefully not you as well if it comes through the windscreen. Whereas on a motorway we get the occasional deer or horse roaming the four lanes of the M25 but generally it's fairly clear of wildlife but full of speed traps. I just don't know when this 25 mph over the speed limit and you lose your license came in, as foot to the metal used to be the norm.
Thanks, I hope your plans come to fruition too!

Yes, that's very good point about deer/wildlife; absolutely impossible to predict, especially in forested areas. Now that I'm an older, more 'sensible' fella, I'm also really careful about hammering it through the corners if I can't see the exit, primarily with cyclists in mind (of which there are now a lot!). In my 20's, I wouldn't have even considered it. It comes with experience I guess. You really need the right road and POV.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I find that the acceleration from say 40/50km/hr and say 110/120km/hr is SO quick you really need to be careful. It’s amazing for sure, but more often than not I have found myself more quickly upon new traffic or worried about some obstruction - than I had anticipated. Takes some getting used to for sure to feel comfortable with. It’s just that quick.

Reactions: Forrester
1 - 7 of 7 Posts