Mercedes A-Class Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I have just ordered a A180 AMG premium and this time I have opted for the petrol over a diesel. How good is the petrol car for fuel economy in the real world. The 1.5 diesel I have now averages 60mpg which is great and I know the petrol is going to be a lot lower but wondered if anyone had any feedback on mpg. Mainly do motorway driving averaging 12k miles a year. What I save in getting a petrol engine worth the extra outlay of higher petrol costs?
Any feedback would be appreciated

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have the A 200 AMG Premium and have to say I am impressed with the engine, I dont do many motorway miles but when I have its very easy getting 55 plus to the gallon. Hope this helps

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have the A200 Sport Exec and with mixed mway and city driving, I get about 40mpg

Mways only on long runs, I would say 50+

·
Registered
380 Posts
I have the A200, which is the same engine but with more HP. I like it: it is fairly quick for such a small engine and still quiet at cruising speed. It can get very noisy when pushed at low speeds, specially with the auto box. I do a mix of motorway / town driving, currently it’s on 23,500 miles, since picking it up July 2018. I haven’t managed to achieve 55 mpg as mentioned by the previous poster, but 52 mpg is easily achieved on motorway stretches.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I have the A200 Premium Plus. My journey to work is only 4 miles each way and do most of my driving on the weekend. I am averaging about 38 mpg. On a good motorway trip I have had 60+

·
Registered
350 Posts
In the UK at least, it is also fitted to the A180 if you get the AMG-line trim. I know, I have one!
Then I stand corrected.

As far as I knew, all AMG Lines got lowered suspension but only the A200 AMG Line onwards got multilink.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Then I stand corrected.

As far as I knew, all AMG Lines got lowered suspension but only the A200 AMG Line onwards got multilink.
Before I ordered I noticed the brochure kept changing with each revision. I called MB UK who didn't know either. I had to crawl under the car to check!

·
Registered
45 Posts
I do not know how you are doing me driving in eco in the city i am about 20-25 mpg 11 l/100km...

i think I need to go to the dealer or update something... :(

·
Registered
350 Posts
The AMG is not lower, all A Class are low, too low at 104mm in my opinion
My mistake there.. Turns out all models have "lowered comfort suspension" which is amusing since how can it be "lowered" if they're all lowered.

As for "too low" I don't quite share that sentiment. I can clear most speed humps without mounting them & I live in Durham which has nothing but hills & speed humps. In over 4 months of ownership I have scuffed the underside (lightly) once.
I could understand if I had a steep driveway where I admit there could be some issues, however it would be pretty silly to buy a car & THEN discover it scrapes on the driveway (or a car park I regularly use). Plenty of information is available before purchase.

·
Registered
13 Posts
New to the forum so first post. Picking up an A200 AMG line premium at the weekend to replace my Golf. The ground cleance is an issue for me as I do have a steep driveway which currently the car will not go in so have had quotes to have the driveway regraded. The guy says he'll be able to flatten the start of driveway to create more of a plateau and reduce the apex by about 4-5 inches. All sounds like it will be fine once the work is complete otherwise I'll be street parking for the next few years.

·
Registered
350 Posts
New to the forum so first post. Picking up an A200 AMG line premium at the weekend to replace my Golf. The ground cleance is an issue for me as I do have a steep driveway which currently the car will not go in so have had quotes to have the driveway regraded. The guy says he'll be able to flatten the start of driveway to create more of a plateau and reduce the apex by about 4-5 inches. All sounds like it will be fine once the work is complete otherwise I'll be street parking for the next few years.
You could always reverse up your drive. The front splitter is the real issue.

·
Registered
13 Posts
You could always reverse up your drive. The front splitter is the real issue.
I'm going to try once I've got it but it tends to be the middle of the car that grounds. I drive up the kerb then there's an apex before the drive slopes down. The work should see that apex flattened out

1 - 20 of 41 Posts