Mercedes A-Class Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, new here so would appreciate some advice please. Ordered an A Class AMG on 15/4/21 with estimated delivery June. I don’t want to keep pestering the sales guy as I know it’s only 8 weeks, but reading various posts June looks very unrealistic. If this potentially could run on and on is it worth asking the sales person if he could find a stock car if I change some of my options and then cancel the new car order or is this set in stone now I’ve paid the initial deposit. Guess the only way to find out is to ask but as the poor guy had to put up with my indecisiveness when initially ordering, thought I’d see what your thoughts are!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
Hi, new here so would appreciate some advice please. Ordered an A Class AMG on 15/4/21 with estimated delivery June. I don’t want to keep pestering the sales guy as I know it’s only 8 weeks, but reading various posts June looks very unrealistic. If this potentially could run on and on is it worth asking the sales person if he could find a stock car if I change some of my options and then cancel the new car order or is this set in stone now I’ve paid the initial deposit. Guess the only way to find out is to ask but as the poor guy had to put up with my indecisiveness when initially ordering, thought I’d see what your thoughts are!
I ordered mine on April 12th with expected delivery for July 1st. Now I've been told to wait until quarter 4 which is October to December. This is due to the chip shortage. This might be the same case for you especially if you ordered a brand new car like me.
They also said I wouldn't be able to pick from the current stock for example in another colour that option has sailed by.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I ordered mine on April 12th with expected delivery for July 1st. Now I've been told to wait until quarter 4 which is October to December. This is due to the chip shortage. This might be the same case for you especially if you ordered a brand new car like me.
They also said I wouldn't be able to pick from the current stock for example in another colour that option has sailed by.
Oh dear, I’d be gutted if they tell me it’s going to be that long. Nearly nine weeks in and no info whatsoever so not looking good. I have spied a few brand new same spec in various parts of the country, need to decide whether to forfeit the deposit rather than wait another four months. Financially, as I have a car to partx its horses for courses in the end but maybe I just need to get onto the dealership before I make a rash decision although I’m sure if they had any news they would have contacted me.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
3,877 Posts
Although not black and white, for you not to be able to get your deposit back, the dealership will have to demonstrate that they have directly incurred costs in order to order your car.

Usually, with gentle negotiation, they might give you the deposit back as long as it's not too far down the line.


 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Although not black and white, for you not to be able to get your deposit back, the dealership will have to demonstrate that they have directly incurred costs in order to order your car.

Usually, with gentle negotiation, they might give you the deposit back as long as it's not too far down the line.


Thank you very much for that. As they originally said the deposit was non-refundable I took that as a given but it’s worth asking.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
4,359 Posts
Hi, new here so would appreciate some advice please. Ordered an A Class AMG on 15/4/21 with estimated delivery June. I don’t want to keep pestering the sales guy as I know it’s only 8 weeks, but reading various posts June looks very unrealistic. If this potentially could run on and on is it worth asking the sales person if he could find a stock car if I change some of my options and then cancel the new car order or is this set in stone now I’ve paid the initial deposit. Guess the only way to find out is to ask but as the poor guy had to put up with my indecisiveness when initially ordering, thought I’d see what your thoughts are!
If there is a unregistered car in stock which meets your spec I would go with that. I'm sure they would just move the deposit across. Especially as it's mid-June next week and if you haven't had build dates etc. I would suspect it's going to be late.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
I think it very much depends on the model. I was undecided on whether to go for the A250 or A35 Premium. The A250 would have been months, but the A35 was available almost immediately. I went for the A35, no regrets!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
I was in the same position, ordered a new A250e early June for early July delivery but, reading through all the reports of cars being delayed and backing up in factories because of a global shortage in semiconductors, I had to start thinking about whether to look for a pre-built one and cancel my order.
My local dealer was brilliant and said they understood and had no problem cancelling my order and refunding my deposit. I did a deal on another car, exactly the same spec and colour, from a different dealer at the other side of the country that has a known VIN number and so is already built. It's currently waiting at Zeebrugge to enter the UK so I should get it next week.
I feel much happier now. A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush!
 

·
Registered
A35 AMG
Joined
·
70 Posts
Hope you will get your car, mine was ordered en of May. I was first told it will be there mid september. This week the sales women called me to inform it shall be mid august. It's a A35.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
I was in the same position, ordered a new A250e early June for early July delivery but, reading through all the reports of cars being delayed and backing up in factories because of a global shortage in semiconductors, I had to start thinking about whether to look for a pre-built one and cancel my order.
My local dealer was brilliant and said they understood and had no problem cancelling my order and refunding my deposit. I did a deal on another car, exactly the same spec and colour, from a different dealer at the other side of the country that has a known VIN number and so is already built. It's currently waiting at Zeebrugge to enter the UK so I should get it next week.
I feel much happier now. A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush!

I'm in a similar position and often check the website to see if the same spec is available in the new section. How was you able to source a car that was in transit ? Was it via the website or did the dealership source this for you?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
I went to the car builder. Filtered on the saloon, hybrid, colour, then pack. When I finished building the car and went to the review page it shows you if there are any cars they match your spec that are "available now". For me, there were about 6. I chose the nearest one and phoned the dealer. When you click on a car, you can see it's VIN number forms part of the web page URL. The dealer can look up the VIN and see what stage the car is at. They could see that particular car was already at Zeebrugge waiting to be shipped to the UK so we did a deal on it.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
4,359 Posts
I went to the car builder. Filtered on the saloon, hybrid, colour, then pack. When I finished building the car and went to the review page it shows you if there are any cars they match your spec that are "available now". For me, there were about 6. I chose the nearest one and phoned the dealer. When you click on a car, you can see it's VIN number forms part of the web page URL. The dealer can look up the VIN and see what stage the car is at. They could see that particular car was already at Zeebrugge waiting to be shipped to the UK so we did a deal on it.
Good news. Happy new car motoring shortly.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,116 Posts
Thank you very much for that. As they originally said the deposit was non-refundable I took that as a given but it’s worth asking.
How did you get on with this?

If you are still wanting to cancel the order have a good read of the T&C's to see what your rights are and get legal advice, if you have house insurance you may have legal cover in that or you might have it on your car insurance, if so they can advise.

Either way although they said the deposit was none returnable it probably isn't that straight forward, they have entered into a contract with you and gave you an estimated delivery date of June, if at the end of June they are unable to give you a 'reasonable' confirmed date or are giving a new estimated date in Q4 you would have a strong case for breach of contract.

But before going down that track just have a chat with the salesman, he wont want aggravation any more than you do.
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top