Mercedes A-Class Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I need to refuel my A180 Sport for the first time today.
In manual, the first step is -
Depressurising the fuel tank

The manual shows a petrol pump symbol button which needs to be pressed.
I can't seem to find it in my car. Am i missing something?
Can i refuel without 'Depressurising the fuel tank'?

Thanks for your time!

·
Super Moderator
3,553 Posts
Hello,

I need to refuel my A180 Sport for the first time today.
In manual, the first step is -
Depressurising the fuel tank

The manual shows a petrol pump symbol button which needs to be pressed.
I can't seem to find it in my car. Am i missing something?
Can i refuel without 'Depressurising the fuel tank'?

Thanks for your time!
Yes just fuel as any other petrol car. Are you reading the correct model type.

Reactions: L_Board_P_Board

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all. I found it a bit hard to put the nozzle inside, I was wondering if its related. Finally, like most people have mentioned, it was just like refueling any other petrol car.
I wish the manual (atleast the electronic one) was specific to the model or had mention of which model/trim it is applicable for.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Why is the hybrid tank pressurised?
I have also wondered about this, but can't find any answer online. Some suggestions are that it is to stop fuel vapours escaping as its possible to have the same fuel for months at a time. Honda cites 'emissions control' so it may be to help the quick start up?

·
Super Moderator
3,553 Posts
Is it not to do with the instant stop start use of fuel.

·
Super Moderator
3,216 Posts
3 reasons

1 to stop degradation of fuel when used rarely

2 in conventional ICE cars, the tanks are also pressurised, but have an active carbon (charcoal) canister which the excess vapour is diverted, but in a PHEV for a couple of reasons the use of the (main, large) carbon canister is not possible when running on pure EV so cannot regenerate the vapour, so a closed circuit higher pressure fuel tank system is used (when the canister is saturated and not able to regenerate it releases the hydrocarbons into the atmosphere, hence lack of emissions control)

3 To definitely ensure that there is no chance of escaped vapours with the proximity of the EV batteries!!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hello, sorry for reviving the old thread. Just wanted to get a view on what you guys think. I found it a bit awkward to put the nozzle in as the opening seemed very small. Is that how it is generally?
WhatsApp Image 2021-01-14 at 01.41.38.jpeg

·
Super Moderator
3,216 Posts
Don’t apologise for resurrecting old relevant threads, we like old threads being revived and added to.

It reduces hundreds of new threads on the same topic - helps future searches by other or newer members too!

The beauty of a forum such as this is that it archives and is easily searchable by topic, much better than the instantaneous "of the moment" nature of most SM sites.

:)

·
Super Moderator
3,216 Posts
Re-surfacing old threads is especially useful, because

• There is a great deal of knowledge in them
  • The oldies that have been there before put a lot of time and effort in answering those questions
  • Those oldies may not be around anymore
  • Not all the newies know all the answers
  • Even the newies can learn from the oldies occasionally through those threads !
And when newies add to the old threads, it re-surfaces them for yet more newies to take on board the info!

(This is how a forum works :) )

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Re-surfacing old threads is especially useful, because

• There is a great deal of knowledge in them
  • The oldies that have been there before put a lot of time and effort in answering those questions
  • Those oldies may not be around anymore
  • Not all the newies know all the answers
  • Even the newies can learn from the oldies occasionally through those threads !
And when newies add to the old threads, it re-surfaces them for yet more newies to take on board the info!

(This is how a forum works :) )
Thanks, I'm doing something right ☺.
Btw, the photo ... Does it look alright to you?

·
Registered
79 Posts
I've only filled up once, and did find a lot of back pressure caused the supply to cut off. The car was at an angle to the pump because of how someone else had parked so I had to try the nozzle at different angles to get enough flow rate. It might not be the nozzle itself, but the bends and route of the pipe into the tank.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts