Mercedes A-Class Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll keep this brief. Has anyone come across this issue at all.

10 days ago I went to get in the car, unlocked it and as soon opened the door the below came up. Wouldn't start, wouldn't let me dynamic select, wouldn't let me select a gear. Nothing.

Selecting ok.on the screen took me to the handbook and stated hybrid system malfunction, called for recovery.

Waited while recovery came, and tried again after 10mins as directed by Mercedes me in case it's just a software glitch that would rectify itself..didn't.

It did start itself sometime later and I drove home again under advice of MMe.

Booked in to.MB for this friday gone and it happened again when starting, thankfully MB technicians also saw this so knew what i was experiencing.

However diagnostics have shown numerous electrical faults but they basically don't know what's caused it so have sent off the data to MB technical HQ ...in Portugal...currently awaiting answers and directions to proceed.

Car is 6 weeks old and has 700 miles.

To say I'm gutted so far is an understatement.
Will update as and when MB have something

·
Registered
56 Posts
Sad to hear that. Possibly some one here may have some experience or knowledge.
The 'multiple' failures probably means that there are one or two key components/systems that have failed, so everything relying on that component cannot work. It doesn't mean vast areas of the car are broken. Hopefully, the number of systems that don't work will point to the defect. It may also mean that it's a major (costly) part of the car, you don't say if you have the car or its still at the dealers. Because it may be an expoensive key component, it may mean HQ spend a lot of time considering lots of options, and have the dealer testing lots of different things before they agree to replacement of a major part.

It happened in my last audi. The brake warning light came on, and the dealer collected it on a low loader. They had it for a week testing everything that audi technical told them to test. Eventually technical admitted that the managment module must be faulty and it was replaced. Never had a problem after that. They simply delayed replacement because of the cost, but probabaly spent the same money on the time spent testing.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. Yea, sorry MB still have it and will have it till its fixed. I would also assume its one or two components more so than a car wide failure of multiple parts. I'm guessing these hybrids have lots of systems reliant on the battery/batteries and if a bit malfunctions then yes many areas suffer.

They have said they would typically start trying to fix and diagnose but the diagnostics have shown multiple errors but no advice of cause... hence sending to HQ.

Also they've said that they would start hunting but if they disconnect the High voltage battery then they'll lose the diagnostic aspect which I'm assuming they'll need until HQ offer some fixes

·
Registered
21 Posts
I had my car a week and one night after charging it at work it would not* turn on but when it come to putting it in Drive/Neutral/Reverse the gear selection icon briefly changed but went back to Park and the message to press the brake before selecting gear. There was also a ESP not working message.

The RAC fella just laughed when he plugged his console in and said no way I can fix this and he said he's never seen many modules to scan. It's an extra pain for rescue as it needs transport as it shouldn't be towed.

MB had it for over 3 weeks and had to take pictures and follow instructions from HQ in Germany as I guess it was new fault to them. Apparently was a wiring loom issue.

Was really annoying as it's my first MB, but ended up having a brand new C300d for a week and then a new GLB220d for 2weeks, so wasn't all bad! :LOL::LOL::LOL:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Haha that is very similar to mine. Wouldbt recognise I had the brake depressed and kept skipping back to N from D or R. And kept flashing malfunction and told me to not tow.

Seems a similar issue then and 🤞🏻 for a fix..

Courtesy car currently is a 70 player c300 petrol so its not bad but annoying with the inconvenience of it all tbh. Went for brand new for hopefully trouble free motoring following my immense battle with last car.

Ah well

·
Registered
21 Posts
Strange that with gear selection. I didn't get the malfunction error though.

Funnily enough the gear selection thing still happens occasionally. But what I've noticed I can do is turn the car off, press and hold the brake pedal firmly, then turn on again and it works. So whether it's just me with just a bit of a limp pedal press occasionally, I don't know.

When it doesn't select the gear, I can feel the brake pedal is super firm and can't be pressed, but when I restart it goes limp again. 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
24 Posts
Really sad to hear this but hopeful MB will get it sorted for you.

Will be interested to hear the outcome.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quick update. It appears to be a wiring loom and module located on top of the gearbox or motor. Has been difficult to fully understand the conversationw as bloody WiFi calls have bad signal.

Taking 10 days for the part to.be delivered from Germany. They appear certain this is it and when I get a full update I'll post more

1 - 8 of 8 Posts