Mercedes A-Class Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a scary experience and wondered if anyone could help shed some light. I was driving yesterday and stopped the car briefly to pick up my friend whilst turning off the engine. I then went to re-start the car (by pressing the start/stop button,) however the car would not start and I got a warning on the dash, stating the key fob had died and to manually start the engine.

I wasn't sure how to do this, so I tried to open the doors to exit the car, but I was locked inside. I then tried to unlock the car manually with the switch on the drivers door, but the car refused to unlock. I tried the windows but they would not open and I even got my friend to try and open the doors from the outside. The alarm went off multiple times and I was trapped for a good 10 minutes until I managed to figure out how to remove the start/stop button and put the fob into the ignition.

I have no idea how this happened and it has scared me, I didn't think it was possible to get locked inside a car. I even tried to recreate the scenario multiple times today by removing the battery from the fob whilst inside the car, however the car unlocked every time.

Does anyone know how this happened? Do you think a fault occurred with the locking system? I really don't want it to happen again.

·
Super Moderator
3,637 Posts
You somehow deadlocked the car.

Deadlocking is normal, when you are outside the car and use the remote to lock the car.
The idea being that if a thief comes along and smashes a window, all the doors are deadlocked and they can’t open a door.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You somehow deadlocked the car.

Deadlocking is normal, when you are outside the car and use the remote to lock the car.
The idea being that if a thief comes along and smashes a window, all the doors are deadlocked and they can’t open a door.
That makes sense, I wonder how I managed to deadlock the car whilst sat inside. Must be a freak incident, I would be interested to hear if this had happened to anyone else before.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts