Mercedes A-Class Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After having usual issues that everyone else has had and some, and dealers not wanting to pay attention, at all!, and even damaging my car - seen when collected, handing it back after a dealers failed update, leaving car with virtually nothing on the system working like climate, entertainment even in kph instead of mph showing etc etc. Out the blue recently, it screams warning, surrounding sensors, therefore no parking sensors working as well failure of the self park which i bought it for.
The car has only done 6,500 miles since new!
I've decided I'll be parting company with my car and started to look around, will definitely not be a Mercedes.

Reactions: daphyd69

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
It’s a pity @SargeJee, but given the issues you’ve had, I don’t blame you. This would have left a bitter taste in my mouth too. Hope you have more luck with your next car. What are you thinking if getting?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks guys, thing is I had such a bad experience with a previously expensive Mercedes and 3 different dealers in 2005 who lied, blatantly broke and damaged things on my V Class Ambiente (the most expensive version they did with every option possible), look at prices of V Classes and you'll see what I mean) only to discover some of these damages weeks later (i.e broke my cup holders, and shoved a course screw in back to stop it coming out, lied about changing gear leaver mechanism, ripped seat, damaged electrics so all windows wouldn't work, (many, many other problems very long list), that I promised myself never a Mercedes again, then along comes my new A Class and thought they must have improved by now and give them a try again, how wrong I was!
Looks like I might be going French at the moment, Sacre Blure! looking at Peugeot E-2008 (all electric) or 5008 but still looking around.
I am saddened this is happening but manufacturers spend millions on all that goes into making a car, then millions on advertising trying to suck us in, then... we are forced to go to the incompetent fools that are the dealers! Who spoil it all for you.
Dealers make or break the brand, and Mercedes dealers are just donkeys and nothings changed.
I expect all brands will have issues but its how its dealt with, after all its probably the most expensive purchase after your home you bought with your hard earned cash!

·
Registered
53 Posts
After having usual issues that everyone else has had and some, and dealers not wanting to pay attention, at all!, and even damaging my car - seen when collected, handing it back after a dealers failed update, leaving car with virtually nothing on the system working like climate, entertainment even in kph instead of mph showing etc etc. Out the blue recently, it screams warning, surrounding sensors, therefore no parking sensors working as well failure of the self park which i bought it for.
The car has only done 6,500 miles since new!
I've decided I'll be parting company with my car and started to look around, will definitely not be a Mercedes.
It's a shame but sometimes you just need to say enough is enough.
I had a similar experience with VW, that's why I bought a Mercedes. Faults they couldn't fix, damage to my car in the workshop, damage to the replacement car before I'd even touched it.
After 18 months and 2 new replacements they said they wanted to keep the third car for a week to find the latest fault. I said you can keep it for good, so they bought it back.
A new car needs to be a pleasurable experience, not 50 visits to the workshop. You could see heads drop each time I walked in.
I'm retired so I had nothing else to do but argue my case until I got what I wanted. As my son says, "never pick a fight with a man who has time on his hands"

But I would have much rather picked up the first car and not driven back to the workshop until my first service.

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
Thanks guys, thing is I had such a bad experience with a previously expensive Mercedes and 3 different dealers in 2005 who lied, blatantly broke and damaged things on my V Class Ambiente (the most expensive version they did with every option possible), look at prices of V Classes and you'll see what I mean) only to discover some of these damages weeks later (i.e broke my cup holders, and shoved a course screw in back to stop it coming out, lied about changing gear leaver mechanism, ripped seat, damaged electrics so all windows wouldn't work, (many, many other problems very long list), that I promised myself never a Mercedes again, then along comes my new A Class and thought they must have improved by now and give them a try again, how wrong I was!
Looks like I might be going French at the moment, Sacre Blure! looking at Peugeot E-2008 (all electric) or 5008 but still looking around.
I am saddened this is happening but manufacturers spend millions on all that goes into making a car, then millions on advertising trying to suck us in, then... we are forced to go to the incompetent fools that are the dealers! Who spoil it all for you.
Dealers make or break the brand, and Mercedes dealers are just donkeys and nothings changed.
I expect all brands will have issues but its how its dealt with, after all its probably the most expensive purchase after your home you bought with your hard earned cash!
Sorry to hear your saga of extremely poor service. It’s too late now but I have always believed in not getting mad but getting even ie getting the dealership to deliver on what MB make us all believe is meant to be a premium brand, product and experience and if necessary get MB HQ involved.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Sorry to hear your saga of extremely poor service. It’s too late now but I have always believed in not getting mad but getting even ie getting the dealership to deliver on what MB make us all believe is meant to be a premium brand, product and experience and if necessary get MB HQ involved.
From what I have read here the quality of dealerships is patchy. I have only had experience of two dealers and both of them are very good from a customer service perspective and I do mean service and not just coffee & cakes 🙄

From a workshop perspective though I'm not that impressed, if it's not mechanical there doesn't seem to be a wealth of knowledge. If it's software typically they are limited to resetting a module, applying the latest s/w updates and if that fails raise a TIP report & send it to MB Technical who look in the known fault file and then, from my experience at least, say that it's working as expected which means as they expect and not as I expect 😭

As for getting HQ involved, I agree this is what I have always done in the past but MB have built the most sophisticated safety net around their senior management that just can't breach it however hard I try, everything just gets sent to Customer Service who are polite but useless.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Until a few years ago, MB owned their own dealerships. These were then all sold off to third party dealerships. Presumably part of the reason for this was to remove the hassle/cost of customer service. The more cynical might conclude that this move was made deliberately, ahead of the development of new technologies. It's certainly the case that Mercedes almost always refers customers with a complaint to their dealer.

So far as workshop expertise is concerned, it certainly does seem to be the case that the ability to deal with problems that are not mechanical is patchy, at best. My own dealer has been quite good - though steering well clear of these updates that many buyers seem obsessed with but nobody know what they do because Mercedes don't spec any of their updates (first rule of software development and consumer caution: never allow an update that you don't know what it does). But at least they set up the car properly with Mercedes Me before I took delivery, something very basic but not every dealer even does that much. But significantly, my dealer employed a software person to look after the IT bits.

My impression is that the dealership networks have been quite slow to catch on to the fact that so much of the expertise required to fix problems with cars these days requires competencies in software rather than mechanics. Arguably, manufacturers have also been remiss in not educating those who sell and maintain their products.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Back with the V Class, I did complain to HQ, they offered me a voucher for £500 'to be used to extend the warranty'. I still have it as I never used it, reason being, if all the dealers were donkeys, why would I give them a further £500 to further abuse, break, damage etc my car if it were to go in under the extended warranty? I'd only be putting things right at my own cost afterwards.
Mercedes HQ is totally powerless and living on their reputation of the old bullet proof cars they made decades ago.

Reactions: Macgd016
1 - 9 of 9 Posts