Mercedes A-Class Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys.

After owning a Toyota Aygo, Toyota GT86 and Honda Civic Type R FK2, and worshipping Japanese sports cars for the last 15 years, today I finally moved to the dark side, and took ownership of a new AMG A35.

So far everything is brilliant, I'd go so far to say it's the best purchase I've ever made!

However, because I'm new to Mercedes Benz cars I'm wondering if there are any cool features on the A35 which I should know about? The multifunction display is crazy and I'm not used to anything like it. Like I say, I'm coming from Japanese cars. So the infotainment system in the A35 I find absolutely mind blowing.

Are there any certain do's or dont's?

During the engine run in period, am I okay to still drive in full manual Sport, but change up at 4,500RPM? Surely this will help the run in as in comfort mode the car shifts up at around 2500RPM.

This is also my first ever automatic, I'm aware of the usual do's and dont's of automatics but are there any particular things I should do in the Mercedes?

Hopefully some of you guys can help me!

Thanks.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Running in isn't as important as it used to be. How you describe sounds fine to me.

Have you discovered the "hold" function yet? When you come to a stop (especially on hills) give the brake pedal a firm squeeze & "Hold" will appear on the dash. Now you can release the brake pedal & remain stationary. No need to release it when you pull away, just apply throttle.
The Park button & the handbrake button to some extent are pointless & never/rarely used, the car applies the handbrake automatically when you switch the engine off & the "hold" function replaces the need for using the handbrake. I've never pushed the "P" button in 4 months of ownership & I think I've used the handbrake button 4 or 5 times.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Running in isn't as important as it used to be. How you describe sounds fine to me.

Have you discovered the "hold" function yet? When you come to a stop (especially on hills) give the brake pedal a firm squeeze & "Hold" will appear on the dash. Now you can release the brake pedal & remain stationary. No need to release it when you pull away, just apply throttle.
The Park button & the handbrake button to some extent are pointless & never/rarely used, the car applies the handbrake automatically when you switch the engine off & the "hold" function replaces the need for using the handbrake. I've never pushed the "P" button in 4 months of ownership & I think I've used the handbrake button 4 or 5 times.
handbrake also applied automatically when you open your driver door

·
Registered
29 Posts
the car applies the handbrake automatically when you switch the engine off
After owning my car for little over six months now, I've only just discovered that. Up until last week, I was putting the parking brake on.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Tricky one after nine months. Maybe I need to drive something disappointing as a reminder of the things I'm taking for granted.

From the little details like the downward tilt on the passenger door mirror in reverse, or dictating text messages, to the full blown party pieces like self parking, everything blurs into a haze of cool that you notice most when you don't have it to hand. Some features you later realise are cool because of what you don't notice, that they just work and just happen without any drama, fanfare or annoyance.

What3Words is an excellent tool for satnav location. The implementation needs to be more seamless, but it is very accurate.

Playing high bitrate FLAC audio from flash drive is another favourite of mine, which makes mp3 sound a bit lacking and streamed music like a pocket radio through a drain pipe … just naff.

Once the theme and brightness is set, the ambient lighting seems to simply light up the right areas by the right amount, without distraction or glare.

Other features aren't unique, but are memorable because they work very well, like demisting and climate control just happens quickly and without drama.

Having Audi and Beemer drivers in the car as passengers, who are then genuinely wowed by the experience is quite gratifying too.

Oh the running in period isn't such a hardship to endure and is over before you know it. 10000 miles later it is a distant memory.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Tricky one after nine months. Maybe I need to drive something disappointing as a reminder of the things I'm taking for granted.

From the little details like the downward tilt on the passenger door mirror in reverse, or dictating text messages, to the full blown party pieces like self parking, everything blurs into a haze of cool that you notice most when you don't have it to hand. Some features you later realise are cool because of what you don't notice, that they just work and just happen without any drama, fanfare or annoyance.

What3Words is an excellent tool for satnav location. The implementation needs to be more seamless, but it is very accurate.

Playing high bitrate FLAC audio from flash drive is another favourite of mine, which makes mp3 sound a bit lacking and streamed music like a pocket radio through a drain pipe … just naff.

Once the theme and brightness is set, the ambient lighting seems to simply light up the right areas by the right amount, without distraction or glare.

Other features aren't unique, but are memorable because they work very well, like demisting and climate control just happens quickly and without drama.

Having Audi and Beemer drivers in the car as passengers, who are then genuinely wowed by the experience is quite gratifying too.

Oh the running in period isn't such a hardship to endure and is over before you know it. 10000 miles later it is a distant memory.
This read like a Shakespeare novel, haha! Love it!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts