Mercedes A-Class Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
A200d Prem+ DAP
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody have a solution for the incessant notifications that I’m not holding the steering wheel, when I am?

·
Registered
A200d Prem+ DAP
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, it’s with DAP.
Just a bit of an annoyance when you’re on a relaxing drive yet getting told off by an overly concerned mother!

·
Registered
A200 AMG Line Premium Plus
31 Posts
The car cannot sense that you just hold on to the steering wheel unfortunately. Instead you must remind the car that you are still present by steering yourself every 10 seconds.

Mercedes have made progress in this area and introduced a steering wheel with the new E-Class that can sense your hands without you steering. You just have to hold on. Perhaps we will see this in the next A-Class.

·
Registered
2 Posts
You should also be able to touch one of the steering wheel buttons or the touchpads on the wheel instead of a steering movement :)

·
Registered
A200d Prem+ DAP
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
But these suggestions mean that you have to actively do something every 10 seconds or so. I thought that all of these assistants were designed to take the load off the driver?
Progress, eh?

·
Super Moderator
2,837 Posts
Hmm. They are “assists”, and not autonomous.

Certainly with steer assist, it’s only a low torque assist, and can do gentle bends, but you definitely have to steer around corners, albeit with the EPAS assisting, so it’s less effort. Definitely not designed with hands off in mind!

·
Registered
A200d Prem+ DAP
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Fair point, but I’m not worried about having to keep my hands on the wheel - I always do.
It’s just when you’re driving on a straight road where there’s no need for any steering change, then you get told off. It’s not very relaxing if you have to keep doing ‘something’ when you’re just on a steady, relaxing drive and you are holding the steering wheel with both hands.

·
Super Moderator
2,837 Posts
Try just draping 2 fingers over the bottom of the steering wheel (on a straight road, with no hazards, of course ;) ). Then when the warning comes up, just nudge the wheel left or right with those 2 fingers.

As post #4 says above, the next generation of steering wheels are capacitive based, so it will detect your hand(s) without the need for any movement input, maybe the facelift model will have it ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts