Mercedes A-Class Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my car for about 6 months now, (my first keyless entry car). Normally when I wash the car, like today, I put the key on the drivers seat, (if I have it in my pocket and touch the handles whilst washing it locks/unlocks all the time)

My question is, If for example I put the key on the wall close enough for the car to unlock when I touch the handle, but then start the car and drive off, (Key still on the wall), what happens?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Car will drive off but state key not detected. However, it will drive off....
So if I do something stupid like drive off, then stop the car, obviously I wouldn't be able to start it again.

Better make sure I don't do it then..

·
Registered
18 Posts
I wash ours locked with the key in a pocket. I disable the keyless entry using the key to remote lock then a double click of the remote lock button, no problems touching the handles then.

I know the key disables itself after 20 seconds of no movement but I don't usually leave the keyless entry enabled at any time just to be on the safe side.

·
Registered
547 Posts
So if I do something stupid like drive off, then stop the car, obviously I wouldn't be able to start it again.

Better make sure I don't do it then..
It's easier to do than you might think, in my old Mondeo I drove myself to hospital as driving took my mind off going there 🙄, my wife jumped in when we got there & went off to the supermarket where she realised she didn't have the key 😱

I had to send the keys to her by taxi, ooops

·
Registered
76 Posts
My car will not start unless I have the key with me in my pocket. You should get a message "Place the key in the marked space. See Owner's Manual". Picture attached.
If the key is not detected the car will NOT start, if it does so, then you need to find out why. So for instance, if I leave my key in the boot and try to start the car it would not start.

Attachments

·
Registered
547 Posts
Just leave it in the car. If it happens to lock when washing it use MM app to open.
I have a feeling it won't lock if the keys are in the car. I jumped out recently & couldn't lock it with my finger, looked for the keys which were in the car. I haven't tried this again so it might be coincidence

·
Registered
75 Posts
If the keys haven't moved enough that the signal has switched off, you can't lock the car with the touch panels on the handles anyway. I managed the other day to get out of the car with my keys in the pocket, and hadn't moved sufficiently quickly to wake up the keys, then wondered why it wouldn't lock, until I jiggled my pocket and tried again!

·
Registered
547 Posts
If the keys haven't moved enough that the signal has switched off, you can't lock the car with the touch panels on the handles anyway. I managed the other day to get out of the car with my keys in the pocket, and hadn't moved sufficiently quickly to wake up the keys, then wondered why it wouldn't lock, until I jiggled my pocket and tried again!
That could be it, mind you we need to be careful juggling our keys in our pockets or people might think we are playing pocket billiards 🤭

·
Registered
16 Posts
I use a small "Faraday" pouch to store my key in. This shields the signal to the car and also prevents "hackers" from using it to start your car. They are cheap to buy through amazon.

·
Registered
352 Posts
As Davidrew says in #4. After you have locked your car and walked away (1 mtr or more) a double press on the key fob "Lock button" turns the fob off. You will need to press the "unlock button" to get it working again. I find it less trouble than putting in and getting it out of a pouch or tin box. Don't forget the spare key.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Also, if the key isn't moved for a few minutes, it switches off so hackers can't use the signal to start or unlock your car, as there is no signal for them to boost! So no need for a faraday pouch for the keys. You can also manually disable the transmissions as in posts 4 and 12.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts