Mercedes A-Class Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning All! Can anyone tell me if its a common fault to have a slight knock on the steering on the Aclass. I've been told its a design fault. is this true?

·
Registered
349 Posts
Hi Craig I have heard a knock once on full lock at crawling pace on an steep camber turn off a drive. Never noticed it again it sounded like and I thought it was suspension settling. Who has said it's a design fault? That was on a W169 avantgarde if it is a continuous knock on full lock I might suspect a cv joint worn?Edited by: Mbznut

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Mbznut. its on the evolution 03 plate. it happens when i wiggle the steering wheel. full lock & driving seem fine. Its just if you wiggle it

·
Registered
349 Posts
Hi I never noticed that on ours I'm not sure if the steering racks were different on the w168 and w169 ? Have u taken it to someone ?

·
Registered
373 Posts
ive had cars that make a slight knock as you wobble the wheel quickly left to right .... never caused me any problems but worth asking the question of someone in the know

take it you bought the evo you went to see them!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sure did. Little beauty she is! Black with Blacked out windows sunroof, great for overtaking with that extra power. The knock was the only fault I could find. Seats need a bit of a clean on the white bits too. Still, can't have it all!
Thanks

·
Registered
9 Posts
It's a known fault on the W168, a slight knocking when the steering wheel is centred - it's caused by the universal joint on the steering column wearing apparently. I've had my 170CDI nearly 4yrs know and the steering was knocking on day 1, but I've never had any problems with it, it's just a bit irritating until you get used to it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts