Mercedes A-Class Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I'm looking to buy an A45 and I have put down a reservation on a 2014 A45 with just under 32,000 miles. I am aware of the gearbox problems on this model so I will be going over that. I am just wondering what other things I should be looking out for? What do I need to be looking for in service history? I know there is an A and B service but at what intervals should they have been done? Any tips would be greatly welcomed and any extra knowledge and advice. I've run the numbers and I know what the ongoing cost is likely to be so it's just a case of making sure I find a decent one.

Cheers,

Joe

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Hi

From your information you appear to be about to buy a pre-FL version. If so it did not have a gearbox issue but it did have a turbo issue. I would be surprised if the turbo would blow now as it will have already done so and been replaced.

Personally I would only buy an A45 which had been franchise dealer serviced with full proof to show it had. There is a full print out on the back of the most recent service of past services. It's critical that the rear diff oil is changed when due an it's expensive and time consuming and easy to skip if it's not main dealer serviced for instance. I would also not buy an ex-demo vehicle as I think the running in period was critical to the longevity of the vehicle and especially the engine and pretty well without exception all of us who owned the A45 from new on the forum were very careful for the first 1000 miles whereas I know from my test driving an A45 that did not seem to be the case with that vehicle.

I would also check that the alloys are in good shape as they scratch easily and also seem to gather "oxidation" spots. Check the bake pads and discs. Both front and back pads and possibly discs should have been replaced and are not cheap to do. Make sure that all the tyres are the same and no cheap substitutes have crept in. I would also make sure you can open the various filler caps such as the coolant as this might have been over tightened and is simple but a pain to fix without causing damage or might need draining of the reservoir.

I am sure others will add other points but basically you should go with your head and not your heart in buying an A45 as otherwise you will spend fantastic amounts to keep it on the road. And I would also suggest buying a service plan so that you can maintain the car properly.

Reactions: joebeaumonta

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
Turbo Turbo Turbo!!!!

make sure you have documentation that he car was recalled and that the Turbo was checked and either replaced or signed off as "OK"

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi

From your information you appear to be about to buy a pre-FL version. If so it did not have a gearbox issue but it did have a turbo issue. I would be surprised if the turbo would blow now as it will have already done so and been replaced.

Personally I would only buy an A45 which had been franchise dealer serviced with full proof to show it had. There is a full print out on the back of the most recent service of past services. It's critical that the rear diff oil is changed when due an it's expensive and time consuming and easy to skip if it's not main dealer serviced for instance. I would also not buy an ex-demo vehicle as I think the running in period was critical to the longevity of the vehicle and especially the engine and pretty well without exception all of us who owned the A45 from new on the forum were very careful for the first 1000 miles whereas I know from my test driving an A45 that did not seem to be the case with that vehicle.

I would also check that the alloys are in good shape as they scratch easily and also seem to gather "oxidation" spots. Check the bake pads and discs. Both front and back pads and possibly discs should have been replaced and are not cheap to do. Make sure that all the tyres are the same and no cheap substitutes have crept in. I would also make sure you can open the various filler caps such as the coolant as this might have been over tightened and is simple but a pain to fix without causing damage or might need draining of the reservoir.

I am sure others will add other points but basically you should go with your head and not your heart in buying an A45 as otherwise you will spend fantastic amounts to keep it on the road. And I would also suggest buying a service plan so that you can maintain the car properly.
Also on the look our for a decent A45, around the same/similar age - thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have been told mine was never recalled for a steering issue. I will update when it goes on. 2014 model.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts