Mercedes A-Class Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

wondering if someone could help me

Drove home from work this evening, parked up as usual and switched ignition off. When I got out I noticed a very loud fan noise coming from behind the Mercedes badge. I also noticed an yellow glow from behind it. Should I be worried about this? It went away after a few minutes.

I drive the A200d AMG Line Premium

·
Registered
54 Posts
I noticed this the other evening the thermatic engine fan ran on after I stopped on my 180d ( cars only done 1500m) cant say I noticed any yellow glow though.
i thought it quite odd as it was quite cold, and I had been crushing at 30/35
for the previous hour so engine was not under load don't think it’s done since checked coolant it was fine !

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It does seem strange. I was also doing around the same speed for approx 30 mins and the car has also only done 500 miles. It’s not exactly warm outside either! (only 5 degrees) so can’t imagine there’d be much load on the engine with A/C on etc.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I think it's normal operation for our Mercs. Mine also does it. More noticeable if I have the aircon on and the fans take around 10 seconds to turn off after I kill the engine. Could just be thermo fans cooling the engine which is what I suspect. They are quite full on but to me I'm not worried as they have been working here in our current climate of 36 degrees Celcius and 95 per cent humidity.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I thought the fan noise when you turn the car off is usually because it’s in the middle of performing a dpf regen?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Could be but mine is a non dpf/gpf model and my fan stays in for about 10 seconds after I stop the car. Also, as soon as I turn my aircon on the fan starts up so could just be for more efficient operation.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Today I test drove a A180d AMG Premium Plus for 20 mins with 5mins at 70mph. When I parked the car there was a fan noise coming from the front grills/engine? Not sure what to make of this?

It was registered in 07/2020 and only has 6.6k miles on it so not sure why the engine would be overheated esp because it was a short drive? Purchasing for Mercedes Benz Approved Used as well? When I asked the sales exec he said was normal and could also because the car had not been driven in a while?

Not sure what to make of this - any advice would be much appreciated!

·
Registered
276 Posts
as said above, normally happens on a hot day with air con activated.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts