Mercedes A-Class Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys i’m a new owner of an A220 and when it was delivered to me it was driven. The guys who drove it got 45+ MPG I believe it would have been mostly motorway driving. But since iv started driving it which has been around town i’m getting 16/17mpg. As far as I know i’m not being super gas happy as iv not gone over 3k revs yet and drive in E or C. Is there a setting on the car that lowers the MPG a lot? I pretty much always use the heated seats and leave the climate control on auto. Also I have the start stop on. Any ideas on what could kill the MPG or am I just driving like a clown without realizing?

·
Registered
77 Posts
It's a 2 litre, so you are going to get poor mpg on short, start-stop journeys around town.
Have you tried taking it for a motorway run to see if you can achieve 45mpg that delivery driver achieved?

·
Registered
373 Posts
Even though running in isn't as important as it used to be, I noticed an improvement in MPG after the first 1000 miles or so.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's a 2 litre, so you are going to get poor mpg on short, start-stop journeys around town.
Have you tried taking it for a motorway run to see if you can achieve 45mpg that delivery driver achieved?
Haven’t had a need to use the motorway yet, also never owned a 2L so I wasn’t sure if that was normal or not. Thanks for pointing it out.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Even though running in isn't as important as it used to be, I noticed an improvement in MPG after the first 1000 miles or so.
Hopefully it does go up when it’s run in. Just another 700 miles to go before I finish the run in 😒

·
Registered
26 Posts
In and around town my A250 with about 4000 miles on it gets about 22MPG. Stopping and starting is the killer. Once I get out on the suburb roads then the average comes up normally to anywhere between 35 and 40MPG for the trip. Aircon makes a difference as do the heated seats and also the colder weather. Since I got it, my average is stated as 36MPG. On a long run sitting at 70MPH it can easily get into the high forties and beyond. The A-Class is very aerodynamic, so once you've got the speed up, it has quite low resistance.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Try taking your climate control off auto as i am sure that uses A/C
A/C kills off some fuel
i used to leave me A/C on all the time on my a200.. i probably get an extra 50 miles now

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Try taking your climate control off auto as i am sure that uses A/C
A/C kills off some fuel
i used to leave me A/C on all the time on my a200.. i probably get an extra 50 miles now
Cool I think i’ll just keep the AC off and use the heated seats as I think they don’t use extra full.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Be aware that running with the AC off at this time of year may cause fogging of the cameras and is known to give camera related errors (late assist etc). If you can put up with this to gain a couple of mpg then that’s down to personal choice.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I don't know if its the same on MB cars but I have always been advised on other cars (VW, Seat, Mini, BMW) to leave the AC on so the seals do not perish. I have experience of this and it cost a lot more £££ to fix than the fuel I saved leaving it off all winter.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I guess it's a matter of perspective, but 16 - 17 mpg does seem a bit low, unless the urban driving is short distance and very congested.

Depending on journey length and congestion, my urban trips are normally 20 - 25 mpg. The 20 mile open road commute to work is usually 35 - 40 mpg and motorway cruising is 40 - 45+ mpg unless pressing on, which I rarely feel the need for. Climate control is always on and I don't skimp on seat heating if wanted.

My A35 has averaged 35 mpg over 11500 miles. Unusual fuel economy though not unique and life in Cornwall is not exactly a crowded metropolis for most of the year.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Even if your A/C is off, you can still use the fan heater

Turn the fan up and turn the A/C off and the heater will still be running

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I guess it's a matter of perspective, but 16 - 17 mpg does seem a bit low, unless the urban driving is short distance and very congested.

Depending on journey length and congestion, my urban trips are normally 20 - 25 mpg. The 20 mile open road commute to work is usually 35 - 40 mpg and motorway cruising is 40 - 45+ mpg unless pressing on, which I rarely feel the need for. Climate control is always on and I don't skimp on seat heating if wanted.

My A35 has averaged 35 mpg over 11500 miles. Unusual fuel economy though not unique and life in Cornwall is not exactly a crowded metropolis for most of the year.
Yeah I live in a fairly crowded city and after going further into the run in process it has improved I now get about 20+. So it is slowly improving and I do have a bit of a way to go. But i’m not too fussed about the 20+ MPG that’s fine for me so it’s only up from here hopefully.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts